No announcement yet.

Transforming Ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a bulky sort of sqaure shaped ship, Which has 4 large blocks on the side (Kind of like engines or possibly weapons pods) that when required run on rails to the rear of the ship (Were ussualy the engine would be) making the ship thinner and longer.

Also these pods could be interchangable to perform different roles for example if you wanted extra weapons output you could atach a weapons pod to the side if you wanted faster travel you could fit more engines and if you wanted more sustainable long range travel you could fit fuel/reactor pods. Theirs plenty more to add onto it.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Why not make a base ship that's about as wide as an Aurora. but a bit thinner (height-wise). then put modules, kinda like the aurora hangar, on the sides of the ship. when it has to go through the gate, the modules fold onto the top or bottom of the ship to make it higher but thinner.
      sigpic

Spoiler:
      Originally posted by IMDB
      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
      Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
        Why not make a base ship that's about as wide as an Aurora. but a bit thinner (height-wise). then put modules, kinda like the aurora hangar, on the sides of the ship. when it has to go through the gate, the modules fold onto the top or bottom of the ship to make it higher but thinner.
        Lol i said it first
        if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by a6346 View Post
          Lol i said it first
          my idea was slighly different, each module would have a fixed role, but all the suggestions in this thread are going in the same general direction.
          sigpic

Spoiler:
          Originally posted by IMDB
          Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
          Hehe

Comment

Ok, a few points there I hadn't considered. The module thing, for one.

With the sliding block idea, I keep coming back to the part where the corner of the sliding block meet up with the corner of the central section and they are practically not touching except along a thin seem. That wouldn't work, there would have to be some other connecting arm or something to hold the sliding block in place. I was hoping for something more elegant than that, but right now I'm not coming up with anything.

Also, the reason not to have a long thin ship to begin with is the area the shield would have to cover. With a more compact ship, the surface area of the shield is less than a long thin ship. Less area means more concentrated shield strength. Best shape from all angles would be a sphere, but if you want a single dimension as your primary attack direction, you'd want something with a small forward silhouette, like an asgard ship. Almost nothing to shoot at from the front.

I was also thinking of the moving sections going both in front of and behind the ship, to maximize total size.

I think having one dorsal module that was interchangeable would be a really good idea. That way the ship wouldn't need to have a hangar bay build into its structure, nor missile tubes, or drone comparments etc. I also thought of having a basic, empty module with the equipment onboard to synthesize whatever weapon systems are needed using raw material harvested from the field, giving the captain of the ship extra flexibility when far away from a shipyard.

Biggest question though...a fluid transformation that doesn't have the pieces disconnecting from each other.
            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

What about using the Goa'uld armour concealment tech from the original movie? I know that it's impossible in the real world but in the gate-verse it could be acceptable.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, feel free to laugh at the crudety of the drawing, but it shows the basic principle. I think the blockiness fits with ancient designs too, though it would have to be more complex than this.

The pieces just can't slide around the back and front, they won't be attached to anything. There would have to be some type of connection elsewhere. Any ideas or suggestions?
                Last edited by Aer'ki; 06 August 2009, 04:13 PM.
                Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                  Ok, feel free to laugh at the crudety of the drawing, but it shows the basic principle. I think the blockiness fits with ancient designs too, though it would have to be more complex than this.

The pieces just can't slide around the back and front, they won't be attached to anything. There would have to be some type of connection elsewhere. Any ideas or suggestions?
                  Some kind of forcefield could be used to hold it in place?
                  or alternatively, have the ship break up. In that picture it could break into 5 parts, fly through and reassemble. It wouldn't be practical if you're getting shot at, but it'd work the rest of the time.

Comment

that's the thing that came into my mind.. but of course, no-one here knows which epic movie this is from.
                    "You spent 7 years as MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.."

"...."

Comment

Originally posted by Galactic Hitchhiker View Post

that's the thing that came into my mind.. but of course, no-one here knows which epic movie this is from.
                      Spaceballs.

Comment

Mighty Maid!

suse
                        Yes, too much Spaceballs
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                          I've been writing a fanfic where a 'head sucked' Tauri survives the process and becomes an Ancient. He then goes on to recruit Bra'tac to help him design new warships. He has the technical knowledge, Bra'tac has the martial knowledge.

In this story, there are a number of supergates...smaller than the Ori version. They were built just barely larger than the width of an Aurora-class warship.

My question is...does it seem plausible to design a ship that is larger than the supergate but then transforms down into an elongated mass to squeeze through, then transforms back into its original mass on the other side?

And if so, what would said ship possibly look like given that it must have a stable, linear core to house it's primary weapon?
                          If i under sand u right a ship like that would cost alot of money to build it is possible for maybe an ancient knoledge guy would be able too. I would still stick with a regular ship.

Comment

Working...
                          X