Asgard Medical Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    You can't grow enough food in a high rise to feed the occupants. It takes the entire US country to feed our people and even so, we must import a lot of food. We're damn near out of cropland acreage unless global warming opens up the historical farming areas in northern europe, siberia, greenland, and northern canada. IF cattle production is geared more towards grass fed animal then a lot of land used to grow grain for cattle could be converted to grow grass for cattle (takes less land). The problem with high rise farm bldgs is the sunlight for the most part is going to shine on the roof. Farmed areas are horizontal not vertical because the light needs of crops are very high.
    I'm talking about a building dedicated just for farming, I watched a video on Youtube that showed a high rise, hydroponic farm that was designed to allow sunlight to shine throughout the day on each side of the building as it changed it's position in the sky, unfortunately I can't find it, but I'll keep looking and if I do find it again I'll post the link here.
    You are correct that the top of a building would be getting most of the sunlight, but that doesn't mean that light won't get to the other parts if it's designed to allow it to shine on crops that need it, BTW I get light shining through my bedroom window for many hours in the morning, as the sun changes it's position (from our perspective) rays can penetrate into a square building on all sides, just put crops that need more light in areas of the building that get more light.

I bet there are a load of roof tops in many worldwide cities and towns that go unused, they could more than likely be converted to grow crops as well as high rise farms.

Would outside issues of lengthier life spans and the repercussions of having a larger population really be on topic with what medical technologies we can get from the Asgard's knowledge base?
    Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 10 May 2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

yes.

and why the hell do you think the Aschen created their confederacy? they fed their people through offworld farming.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        yes.

and why the hell do you think the Aschen created their confederacy? they fed their people through offworld farming.
        and reduced fertility of their allies so they wouldn't need to support as many folks

Comment

right.

point is: we shoulnt use 1000000's of years ahead of us medical technology. just making some sort of healing hand device for field medics, and curing the most extreme and resistant diseases is best. and look up more antibiotics

Comment

right.

point is: we shoulnt use 1000000's of years ahead of us medical technology. just making some sort of healing hand device for field medics, and curing the most extreme and resistant diseases is best. and look up more antibiotics
            Absolutely, until we have somewhere people can "overflow" to we need them to keep dying at or near the birth rate.

Comment

or better put: we shouldnt spend money on research that has no need. just by spreading an AIDS cure, the medic industry can earn billions

Comment

yes.

Dealing with the after effects of these cures or medical technologies is IMO a topic for another thread, like one called Stargate tech to deal with the world's problems or something like that.

To answer your Aschen question if they had used Hydroponic, high rise farming and dealt with land management issues then they wouldn't have needed to go off world until their increased population had to start flowing over to other worlds.
                The writers probably just wanted an interesting enemy for Earth and SG1 to face.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  Dealing with the after effects of these cures or medical technologies is IMO a topic for another thread, like one called Stargate tech to deal with the world's problems or something like that.

To answer your Aschen question if they had used Hydroponic, high rise farming and dealt with land management issues then they wouldn't have needed to go off world until their increased population had to start flowing over to other worlds.
                  The writers probably just wanted an interesting enemy for Earth and SG1 to face.
                  I don't want to hurt your feeling here but do you have any idea how much corn can be grown on a square mile of land? Try around 150 bushels/acre x 640 acres/square mile. How much corn could be grown in one of your highrises, a few hundred bushels? Your hydroponic idea might keep the salad bar stocked but billions of people require a lot of crop land and vertical growth only goes so far as solar irradiation is a function of horizontal footprint. If we went offworld and didn't have to support billions on non productive people then farming won't be a big deal in those places.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                    I don't want to hurt your feeling here but do you have any idea how much corn can be grown on a square mile of land? Try around 150 bushels/acre x 640 acres/square mile. How much corn could be grown in one of your highrises, a few hundred bushels? Your hydroponic idea might keep the salad bar stocked but billions of people require a lot of crop land and vertical growth only goes so far as solar irradiation is a function of horizontal footprint. If we went offworld and didn't have to support billions on non productive people then farming won't be a big deal in those places.
                    I don't consider what you're saying to be an insult, so my feelings are fine
                    As for the growth area thing it would depend how many levels you had in a single high rise and how many square feet each level is.
                    Say it's 500 square feet a level, which would be 500x500=250,000 feet per level, with 20 levels you'd have 5,000,000 feet of growth space in one building, if you wanted you could have 40 levels so you'd have 10,000,000 in one building, just have 4 of those buildings in a mile area and you'd have 40,000,000 feet of growth space in one square mile.
                    Of course you can't forget pillars, stair wells, lifts and things but I think you see what I'm getting at, even with those things taking up 5 or 10 square feet per level you'd still have a tonne of space for whatever you want to grow.

I'm not saying forget growing some crops on ground level farming, but high rise farming could remove the need to take over too much land.
                    For every mile of corn you can grow you could have quite a few high rises, each providing millions of feet worth of growing space.
                    Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 10 May 2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                      I don't consider what you're saying to be an insult, so my feelings are fine
                      As for the growth area thing it would depend how many levels you had in a single high rise and how many square feet each level is.
                      Say it's 500 square feet a level, which would be 500x500=250,000 feet per level, with 20 levels you'd have 5,000,000 feet of growth space in one building, if you wanted you could have 40 levels so you'd have 10,000,000 in one building, just have 4 of those buildings in a mile area and you'd have 40,000,000 feet of growth space in one square mile.
                      Of course you can't forget pillars, stair wells, lifts and things but I think you see what I'm getting at, even with those things taking up 5 or 10 square feet per level you'd still have a tonne of space for whatever you want to grow.

I'm not saying forget growing some crops on ground level farming, but high rise farming could remove the need to take over too much land.
                      For every mile of corn you can grow you could have quite a few high rises, each providing millions of feet worth of growing space.
                      Most crops need full sunlight, particularly the ones with high yield. Your idea might work for mushrooms or shade plants. When you take an area with a fixed footprint and then try to stretch available sunlight to every level it will get dim. This is exactly why you cannot use sunlight to replace conventional lighting (during day) in a skyrise while it works fine in a single story bldg. There is still enough land around to avoid commiting to any large scale hydroponics.

Comment

yes, the problem is yield. though aeroponics can produce tons of food, its low-quality low-nutrient. the massive can of worms you open when supplying the nutrients, the energy required to artificially produce them/the energy to gather it, etc its all too much. offworld farming is better, infact as the aschen needed multiple planets, its safe to say their numbers go into the many dozens of billions. besides, in RL we still know barely anything of the whole equibrillium the ecosystem is in, turning an entire planet to a massive farm might have extremely bad results. farming can be quite polluting.

Comment

Has anyone pondered the idea that a matter converter can do an huge amount of damage rather than good. By huge amount, i mean total destruciton of all major cities one Earth.

A matter converter can be used to make anything from the same mass of atoms, correct? as it just changes them ( i make it sound so simple?) so, if this is possible could a rebel force, or terrorist, or even another country (enemy) duplicate nuclear material, strengthening a nuclear warhead by however much they want? even x100. Even small arms can be produced massively. Matter conversion could easily put us further into war than we ever have been.

Not only that, think about it, even though this technology has the ability to provide even new limbs, is it the correct decision, future wise?

Giving the whole world food and clean water would cause an massive population explosion, were talking billions being added within a few centuries, then over population and in then end the use of all resources, even water.
                          Others may say, oh well lets just dump alot of our population on another planet. Sound simple, easy and out of the way right? Wrong.
                          First, you would have to create buildings, security, homes, energy, water, food. If you dont want humans from Earth to go back to the stone age, these must be provided, if not it could cause a whole lot of hardhsip for many. Not only would it take centuries for htis to work, you owuld have to make sure an balanced economy, fair trade, laws etc etc etc.

IMO, the answer is more, lengthy, progression. WE could easily drop small hints or discoveries we have made from reverse-engineering into the sciene community. this way, slow, almost natural scientific progression can take place, allowing to hand in hand advance with other technologies such as space travel. So by that time, Earth has come to terms with travel to habitable planets, and its people have realised what really matters, and mature. This will make way for an era of peace and retribution for Earth, and we will spread and create empires among the stars, always trying to fill the ancients shoes, and maybe, just maybe, one day achieving that.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

havent i said that a million times?

colonisation however IS pretty easy. naq generator, prefab homes, and you're pretty much done

Comment

Working...
                            X