Gravity Variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
    I guess that is why you send sensors in ahead of you, to check for that kind of stuff.
    Except that there is the possibility that Stargates would wind up on planets with primitive beings that are smart enough to understand the "'Gate tutorial" that the Ancients would likely have included, but not advanced enough to build remote probes.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Of course if every planet in a certain galaxy had twice as much gravity as earth or half the gravity of earth than nobody that normally uses the gates would be in danger, and the Ancients could safely assume anyone that could generate enough power to accomplish intergalactic gate travel would be advanced enough to send a probe first.
      sigpic

Comment

Of course if every planet in a certain galaxy had twice as much gravity as earth or half the gravity of earth than nobody that normally uses the gates would be in danger, and the Ancients could safely assume anyone that could generate enough power to accomplish intergalactic gate travel would be advanced enough to send a probe first.
        I suppose that that is true, except for the fact that what you are describing is statistically impossible.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

As said before,you need to take things like budget and the fact the ancients seeded the galaxy into consideration. That said, we haven't seen a 1/10 (probably alot more) of the habitable planets, there may be some. It would be arrogant to say there are none out there seeded by the ancients, as long as the amount of gravity was not significant as too were it would affect bone and mmuscle density, and also your internal organs being pulled down towards your feet wouldnt be too good either.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            I suppose that that is true, except for the fact that what you are describing is statistically impossible.
            If every planet that had a Stargate placed on it, just like our galaxy has gates on planets with very similar gravity.
            sigpic

Comment

If every planet that had a Stargate placed on it, just like our galaxy has gates on planets with very similar gravity.
              Ah; that makes more sense. Still, it raises the question of why the Ancients would choose to "bless" only those races that lived on 1.8-2.2 g worlds with Stargates. At least with 0.8-1.2 g worlds, there is the understanding that the Ancients might want to use those Stargates to explore those worlds in person.

Comment

True, although I'm sure they could come up with a way to deal with it.

The only reason it "could" happen would be if it was discovered that almost all life in a particular galaxy "possibly out of thousands seeded" was on high/low G planets.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X