This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
    Well, the first two are at least plausible questions.
    I think it's people remaking these same sorts of overasked vs threads so often that we have to thank for this little dumping ground of a sticky here though.

I wouldn't even want to try and make a creadible vs themed thread anymore, for fear it would just end up chucked in here and buried in the jumbled confusion of a bunch of other vs themed threads that came before and after.

Comment

If i attempted to keep track off all of the versus battles im sure my brain would go pop. Also, the first post would take up a couple hundred pages.

Anyway, there is no "credible" versus thread anymore, most have been done so many times everybody knows them, and the rest have been done in here.

However Ouroboros, if it would be to your liking i could ask for it to be deleted.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
        Nice Hal, but next time instead of wasting your life on useless posts, ignore the thread as it is here for the benefit for people who actually post topics about science and technology of stargate, not versus battles.

If you don't like it, don't come here. Easy enough.
        If the thread were all about the what-ifs within a particular universe, I would fully agree. My point was that I feel that its pointless to ask supposed questions as to who would when when you take someone or something from one universe and match it up against another. There's a point where it becomes ridiculous such as the movie Alien vs Predator or the storylines in the Marvel Universe getting so jumbled that they actually did the multi-verse crisis storyline awhile back to 'reset' the storylines.
        The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
          If i attempted to keep track off all of the versus battles im sure my brain would go pop. Also, the first post would take up a couple hundred pages.

Anyway, there is no "credible" versus thread anymore, most have been done so many times everybody knows them, and the rest have been done in here.

However Ouroboros, if it would be to your liking i could ask for it to be deleted.
          This thread is fun for quick and semi goofy vs that don't really need their own thread but it does get pretty annoying to read when you have multiple pages of another thread just dumped in here, then another multiple pages from another thread dumped on top of that, all in the span of one or two days.

Comment

AvP isnt a silly versus. They worked out a whole, proper background4 it. It was only when they made the movies it got silly.
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
              I personally detest the whole cross-franchise thing.

Why not Harry Potter vs Anubis? (Or pose the question Was Voldermort actually Anubis?)

Luke Skywalker vs Anubis?

Neo vs Voldermort?

Kirk and Spock trying to return the One Ring to Vulcan while Morpheus counsels Aragorn as they try to defend Middle Earth from the Shadows led by Voldermort and his love, the Borg Queen, while Replicators are tunneling down to the Ancient base in the Antarctic trying to uncover the truth of Miranda all while Luke Skywalker and John Crichton try to rescue Leia from Racoon City before the Red Queen seals it and kills everyone because the Furling-virus has mutated and has somehow become digitized and entered the internet. Oh and I forgot, that The Bride is off on a quest to kill Mr. Bill because she's been genetically altered by Sluggo, however she doesn't know that she secretly posses the cure for Nerve Attenuation Syndrome which was released upon mankind by the Archministry because Optimus Prime gave Earth a cure for the supposed cure for cancer developed by Robert Neville when he was possessed by Scorpius which nearly wiped out all of mankind. In the end, viewers are left wondering if Mulder and Sculley will be able to escape from the world of Tron that The Lawnmower Man tricked World Control into trapping them in and which bares a remarkable resemblance to an island somewhere the Pacific with bizarre electromagnetic properties and without a single White Castle in site but plenty of genetically-mutated dinosaurs being created by talking apes seeking ascension while experimenting on everyday people with superhuman abilities in an effort to create a machine-human hybrid that rents DVD's when you swipe a credit card all in an effort to protect Earth from Zod.
              OMFG I F'n LOLed at this
              sigpic

Comment

Hal you sure watched a lot of scifis

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                  In a battle between the wraith and the Ori who do you think would win?

The Ori have superior ships and technology but the Wraith have strength in numbers, and their life sucking ability. Personally I think that the Wraith may have a slight chance of winning, but becase of the Milky Way Galaxy's fight with the Ori, I think that the Ori have a better change of coming out on top.

What you you all think

If it was EVERY SINGLE WRAITH hive ship versus the ori the wraith would just outnumber the ori and feed on every living human there.

Comment

Pray tell, how can the wraith feed when they dont possess the weapons to breach the Ori shields? And what a ridiculous comment to make. We dont know how many ships the Ori have. And the wraith cant move as quickly as the Ori. Those Ori beams would do untold damage.
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

The Ori have a few dozen planets and about 20 ships by all appearances and that's after martialling their forces for a galactic invasion.

They'd blow up a few hives and get overrun in no time if the Wraith can reach them, which if you assume the two are fighting would seem to be the case.

The Ori are all hype and very little substance. They're not going to last long against an adversary that can grow new ships with a virus, or one that already defeated a civilization of similar tech level to their own, but that held dominion over 1000 planets rather than "dozens".

Comment

ori , its a no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                          Pray tell, how can the wraith feed when they dont possess the weapons to breach the Ori shields? And what a ridiculous comment to make. We dont know how many ships the Ori have. And the wraith cant move as quickly as the Ori. Those Ori beams would do untold damage.
                          Why couldn't Wraith weapons breach Ori shields? Just because 4 Ori ships were able to survive a few minutes of fire against a dozen Ha'taks doesn't mean their ships will be able to take on large groups of Wraith hives.

Wraith Hives can take nearly as much punishment from the Asgard beams as the Ori motherships themselves, we also know that our own 304's can match Ori vessels. With this in mind its also known that even a single Wraith civil war faction is more than a match for the forces of Earth. The sum total of their forces would more than likely be a match for the limited numbers of Ori vessels we've seen.
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

There's also this little bit that I remembered from "The Last Man". It's been brought up before how 3 hives ate the Phoenix but this scene doesn't get nearly as much play.

Originally posted by The Last Man
                            McKAY (voiceover): They started a series of hit and run ops – real guerrilla style.

(In space, two hive ships fly side by side. Phoenix soars in and fires three Asgard beams at one of the ships and it explodes. She heads for the second hive and fires at it. On the Bridge, Sam's Weapons Officer reports.)

WEAPONS OFFICER: One of the hives has been neutralised.

CARTER: What about the other one?

WEAPONS OFFICER: Minimal damage. They're powering weapons.

CARTER: Dammit.

WEAPONS OFFICER: Should we swing around for another pass?

CARTER: Forget it. Get us out of here.
                            We've seen Asgard beams bounce off the super hive and do next to nothing but we've also seen variable weapon types from different hives at different points in the series as well. Compare for example Michael's pitiful cruiser in "Search and Rescue" to the cruisers and hives that were set to batter down Atlantis shields in a matter of days, or the various hives that had the Daedalus losing shields in a matter of minutes, or the cruisers that got the Tria.

Basically if weapon performance can be so widely variable from one ship to another, can armor/defensive performance potentially be variable to? Might there actually be certain hives out there with armor that, while not the equal of the superhive's obviously, is still denser enough to better resist Asgard beams. Was that why Carter retreated there, because she knew that one of those two she attacked had such armor/defenses fitted and taking it down would require much more effort than the 3 shots that dropped the first one. If it was literally only going to take a few extra seconds to get the second hive as well it's hard to come up with a compelling reason why she'd order retreat instead. A 304 certainly isn't going to take any meaningful damage from just a few more seconds of hiveship fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                              There's also this little bit that I remembered from "The Last Man". It's been brought up before how 3 hives ate the Phoenix but this scene doesn't get nearly as much play.

We've seen Asgard beams bounce off the super hive and do next to nothing but we've also seen variable weapon types from different hives at different points in the series as well. Compare for example Michael's pitiful cruiser in "Search and Rescue" to the cruisers and hives that were set to batter down Atlantis shields in a matter of days, or the various hives that had the Daedalus losing shields in a matter of minutes, or the cruisers that got the Tria.

Basically if weapon performance can be so widely variable from one ship to another, can armor/defensive performance potentially be variable to? Might there actually be certain hives out there with armor that, while not the equal of the superhive's obviously, is still denser enough to better resist Asgard beams. Was that why Carter retreated there, because she knew that one of those two she attacked had such armor/defenses fitted and taking it down would require much more effort than the 3 shots that dropped the first one. If it was literally only going to take a few extra seconds to get the second hive as well it's hard to come up with a compelling reason why she'd order retreat instead. A 304 certainly isn't going to take any meaningful damage from just a few more seconds of hiveship fire.
                              I agree that Hives do seem to vary in offensive ability some being able to destroy another Hive in 20 shots or so like in 'The Hive' and 'The Seer' and others being able to survive minutes of fire. Judging by the way extra power uber ups Hives its entirely possible that various mods Wraith factions put on their Hives can make a massive impact on performance.

What I slightly disagree with is the amount of time it takes a Hive to damage a 304. In the final battle of the Phoenix it actually only took 10 seconds of fire from a single Hive ship to knock out the Asgard beams and cause the general sparking. This may be a aforementioned superior Hive but it does demonstrate that even taking on a single Hive in a 304 is not a guaranteed victory as a Hive can easily take out the beam weapons.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Then again, how possible is it that asgard weapons gettin taken out by fluke is a plot device to nullify the wank beams tptb created? Because they seem to go offline at just the wrong time.
                                sigpic
                                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X