This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

What makes the Command Carrier noteworthy in visual sci-fi really is it's the only carrier I can think of that's actually shown and depicted exploiting the whole concept properly. In the whole Farscape series the crew almost never saw the actual Command Carrier itself that was chasing them, it was always a gunship or commando team or something else that was deployed from it that would happen across them. Then PK wars came along and ruined 4 years of sensible depiction with the typical "sit still 100 feet apart and shoot at each other" bull****, but that's hardly the best reason to dislike that particular miniseries, Farscape's "Ark of Truth".
    Yeah, Firstly, I concur on the carrier thing. Carriers do not wield massive gubbins AND the ability to level a small galaxy in one shot combined with the Old soviet unions supply of space migs.......

secondly, yea, PK wars was bad. The promised 'WAR' didn't enthrall, the story was overrated and it made me cry, not from the death of a loved one, but rather from the slow and horrifically painful death my eyeballs were suffering at the time, but i belieive we've had THAT discussion on another thread......

I may have been watching too much zero punctuation recently....*breathes*

True, the Ret is just a big gun and probablnot half as manouvreable (it can't 'Come to a new heading!', but I don't know if u get the reference....)

What would you say about An EA Omega or hyperion class in Farscape? Snowball or champion?
    sigpic
    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

ok i knw everyones tired of verses threads but this ones relevent
      borg vs. replicators.
      ok they both trie to assimilate everything they can,
      their both mechanically BASED
      ALSO THEY BOTH REPRODCE EXTREMELY FAST SO WHO IS BETTER?

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
        True, the Ret is just a big gun and probablnot half as manouvreable (it can't 'Come to a new heading!', but I don't know if u get the reference....)
        Oh I definately get the reference, I always used an Emperor myself though. With torpedo bombers it was absolutely disgusting, strength 16 torpedo wave of doom.

What would you say about An EA Omega or hyperion class in Farscape? Snowball or champion?
        Definately snowball. In B5 artificial gravity is something Earth ships don't even have yet. They compare much more closely with something like BSG but even then I'd say they're at a major disadvantage once the nukes come out. They have some nice computer guided point defense and some fancier weapons like lasers and plasma cannons, but they just seem to more or less boil down to doing what the BSG slug guns do, just in a flashier way.

Comment

Oh I definately get the reference, I always used an Emperor myself though. With torpedo bombers it was absolutely disgusting, strength 16 torpedo wave of doom.
          Yea, well a like 3 lances, Wpn batt 12 and 9 torps. Then I played my friends Tau in a campaign game. I was using torps to kill fighters, and my Wpns batts couldn't get close enough........

Definately snowball. In B5 artificial gravity is something Earth ships don't even have yet. They compare much more closely with something like BSG but even then I'd say they're at a major disadvantage once the nukes come out. They have some nice computer guided point defense and some fancier weapons like lasers and plasma cannons, but they just seem to more or less boil down to doing what the BSG slug guns do, just in a flashier way.
          What about the Warlock class, complete with lovely gubbins (aka, gravity) in the Farscape verse?
          Then again, the Hyperion is twice the size of the Galactica, and those lasers would come in very handy!

And Star Furies!!! actually, a dog-fight with Furies and Vypers would be sweet!!
          sigpic
          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

What about the Warlock class, complete with lovely gubbins (aka, gravity) in the Farscape verse?
            Then again, the Hyperion is twice the size of the Galactica, and those lasers would come in very handy!
            I haven't seen crusade in ages but I wouldn't expect the difference between a warlock and a Omega to be big enough to matter much in Farscape land. Vs BSG it might be more noteworthy. I don't remember anything from B5 that would suggest their ships can survive even a modest contact nuking the way the colonial ones can though, let alone multiple nukes at once like the Pegasus could. I also don't think their laser or plasma weapons could really exceed that kind of energy output. In other words if BSG's armour can hold off nukes exploding on top of it, it'll provide an extreme challenge for weapons like lasers or plasma bolts that also use intense heating as their primary damage mechanism. Trying to burn through armour that can resist the sort of temperatures created at the center of a nuclear blast with a laser is bascally doing it the hard way, which is why I figure colonials use kinetic type weapons instead. That armour tech combined with the inherant inefficiencies of laser type weapons to begin with, just makes them totally impractical as a weapon system in their universe.

Comment

I haven't seen crusade in ages but I wouldn't expect the difference between a warlock and a Omega to be big enough to matter much in Farscape land. Vs BSG it might be more noteworthy. I don't remember anything from B5 that would suggest their ships can survive even a modest contact nuking the way the colonial ones can though, let alone multiple nukes at once like the Pegasus could. I also don't think their laser or plasma weapons could really exceed that kind of energy output. In other words if BSG's armour can hold off nukes exploding on top of it, it'll provide an extreme challenge for weapons like lasers or plasma bolts that also use intense heating as their primary damage mechanism. Trying to burn through armour that can resist the sort of temperatures created at the center of a nuclear blast with a laser is bascally doing it the hard way, which is why I figure colonials use kinetic type weapons instead. That armour tech combined with the inherant inefficiencies of laser type weapons to begin with, just makes them totally impractical as a weapon system in their universe.
              ........*pop*.........that was my bubble. I was happy there.

The world is sooo cold and mean...................*sobs*
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Try this mega battle

Cybermen from dr who vs Jaffa warriors

(they are both cannon fodder )
                sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                  Try this mega battle

Cybermen, easily
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                    Try this mega battle

If the Jaffa used Alkesh then they could just bomb the Cybermen.

Cybermen, easily
                    In a ground battle, with no ships involved they'd PWN it.

How about Jaffa, without Staff weapons, VS the Spartans (from the movie 300)?
                    No Hi-Tech weapons involved and Jaffa have 300 men, Spartans have 300 men, Jaffa have Spears and shields, Spartans have the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                      If the Jaffa used Alkesh then they could just bomb the Cybermen.

In a ground battle, with no ships involved they'd PWN it.

How about Jaffa, without Staff weapons, VS the Spartans (from the movie 300)?
                      No Hi-Tech weapons involved and Jaffa have 300 men, Spartans have 300 men, Jaffa have Spears and shields, Spartans have the same.
                      Hey ROTP, long time no speak. Mssge me, let me known how things are.

Easily the Spartans. The Jaffa may be strong and skilled with their staff weapons, but they come up against a Spartan Phalanx (and, in real history, whilst not the greatest individual warriors, a sin the movie, the Spartans were easily the very best at fighting in phalanx, as a unit.) they would brake.

Jaffa shout and swear a wee bit, charge in a mob at the Spartans, who hold ground, fight with shield and spear and butcher them

Oh, and if anyone mentions regenerative powers, the part in the film, 300, where they kill the wounded? Yeah, that happened. More than twice. They would annihilate the Jaffa.
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Hey ROTP, long time no speak. Mssge me, let me known how things are.

Easily the Spartans. The Jaffa may be strong and skilled with their staff weapons, but they come up against a Spartan Phalanx (and, in real history, whilst not the greatest individual warriors, a sin the movie, the Spartans were easily the very best at fighting in phalanx, as a unit.) they would brake.

Jaffa shout and swear a wee bit, charge in a mob at the Spartans, who hold ground, fight with shield and spear and butcher them

Oh, and if anyone mentions regenerative powers, the part in the film, 300, where they kill the wounded? Yeah, that happened. More than twice. They would annihilate the Jaffa.
                        Hey buddy, yeah, it's been too long, will do.

Spartans rock, seeing as they fight as a single unit and the Jaffa would likely try to surround them they'd get majorly pwned.

In the movie the Spartans take out what appears to be thousands of Persians, as they make their way.
                        Goauld symbiotes wouldn't really help, the Spartans don't leave any wounded, that you're right about.

Comment

The Spartans were more than likely the greatest trained fighting force there has ever been. (excluding weapons technology past spears,arrows,swords etc.)
                          They were rigurously trained from a very young age, and defected males (in adequate size or any..dis-abilities) were killed to prevent the defected from entering the spartan gene pool. They are taught to resist high measures of pain, and there are very good solo fighters. Remember every spartan soldier must be perfect. Muscle, height, speed, strength, stamina all account. They were elite, and would annihalate the jaffa. We have seen overweight jaffa before, so what does that say for them? They are not specifically trained, they are made to use staff weapons, which also suck, and the only advantage from there on in from a fight with a normal human is the symbiote. And i very much doubt that symbiotes would even make a difference. We actually do not know if the spartans were mercyless, it has never been given any reason to become fact, and is likely total fiction from the film. This is where most of you will base your ideas on about this battle, and dont get me wrong it is right alot of the time, but it is not reliable.

The phalanx, as someone has mentioned before, is one of many spartan tactics. Althought they wouldnt need them. Remember the spartans took on the largest army that there has ever been, and did extremly well.
                          Spartan tactics far outweigh jaffa, so its a no brainer for me.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

every, single, time i see the name of this thread, i think it says, 'Mothra'. for those of you that don't know who/what that is, it's a monster that battled godzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhoW...eature=related

sorry for the ot, but i just *had* to share.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                              The Spartans were more than likely the greatest trained fighting force there has ever been. (excluding weapons technology past spears,arrows,swords etc.)
                              They were rigurously trained from a very young age, and defected males (in adequate size or any..dis-abilities) were killed to prevent the defected from entering the spartan gene pool. They are taught to resist high measures of pain, and there are very good solo fighters. Remember every spartan soldier must be perfect. Muscle, height, speed, strength, stamina all account. They were elite, and would annihalate the jaffa. We have seen overweight jaffa before, so what does that say for them? They are not specifically trained, they are made to use staff weapons, which also suck, and the only advantage from there on in from a fight with a normal human is the symbiote. And i very much doubt that symbiotes would even make a difference. We actually do not know if the spartans were mercyless, it has never been given any reason to become fact, and is likely total fiction from the film. This is where most of you will base your ideas on about this battle, and dont get me wrong it is right alot of the time, but it is not reliable.

The phalanx, as someone has mentioned before, is one of many spartan tactics. Althought they wouldnt need them. Remember the spartans took on the largest army that there has ever been, and did extremly well.
                              Spartan tactics far outweigh jaffa, so its a no brainer for me.
                              Firstly, they WEREN'T the very best solo fighters. Not that I said they weren't very good. but they were NEVER trained to fight that amazingly on their own. No one in Greece was, because it was ALL about the phalanx, and breaking the opponents.
                              It was NOT the largest army there has ever been. The army numbered in the low hundreds of thousands. No where near a million. The simple logistics in those days of operating such force would have been ridiculous.
                              The spartans didn't do all the fighting, but DID do the majority of the tougher work. There were 7000 Greeks at Thermopylae and they took turns at the line.
                              As for getting my information from the film, Bull. Whenever I see a film or TV show based on true hsitory, tend to go mad and research the ACTUAL events. Buy books, go online, etc, till I know what happened without hollywood.
                              Here's a small list of ACTUAL happening from real-life that mad it into the film

-the Well-kicking scene. Actually happened. Not to Xerxes messenger, but to one of Darius's
                              - the 'fight in the shade' bit. Except the Spartans were in the shiltron, surrounded by immortals and Leonidas was already dead.
                              - the storm wrecking some of the fleet
                              - Effieltes the traitor. But he wasn't a hunchback.
                              - The Immortals getting along the goat path.
                              - the "Come and take them!" line.

The Spartans were the best of their time, and probably for the next 800 yrs, until the Urban Legions and the Praetorians. But no matter how awesome they were, they were NOT used to the type of battle they fought against the Persians. The greek cities had always fougth phalanx to phalanx, with flanking cavalry and skirmishers. They didn't train in solo combat as much as in unit combat. Yes, the Spartans were better per man than the Persians, but they weren't these mythical supermen. They were best were they took the line with their brothers on the line, shields coverign each other and spears forward. Whcih is where they would beat the Jaffa hands down. In an all our brawl it would be much closer.
                              sigpic
                              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                every, single, time i see the name of this thread, i think it says, 'Mothra'. for those of you that don't know who/what that is, it's a monster that battled godzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhoW...eature=related

sorry for the ot, but i just *had* to share.
                                I loved that Godzilla!! It was my favourite second only to Son of Godzilla!!!!! hahahahaha.

Meridith Medal for Awesomeness awarded here!!!!
                                sigpic
                                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X