• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Galactic Hitchhiker View Post

sorry, couldn't resist..
    That is hilarious! Nicely done sir!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
      Okay a six way battle for the universe between ZPM powered Odyssey, ZPM powered hive, Ori Mothership, Anubis’s flagship super weapon, an O’Neill class warship taken over by block replicators, and an Asuran Aurora class warship.
      Odyssey would kill the Ori ship, Asuran Aurora, Anubis's flagship and probably be left fighting the ZPM powered Hive and the O'Neill would probably have been destroyed by the Ori.
      IMO it would either be the Odyssey or Hive.

Comment

Superhive would own all of them. Unless the replicators can board the Superhive...if the Replicator O'neill gets destroyed before it infests the Superhive then the Superhive wins. If the Replicators get onboard the Hive then the Hive still wins but eventually the Replicators kill everyone on board and the Reps win.

Instead of an Asuran Aurora why not an Ancient ZPM powered Aurora?

What are peoples opinions on an O'neill vs Aurora (ancient) without a ZPM? And also an O'neill vs a ZPM powered Aurora?
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

IMO if the Aurora was to fire an Orion style volley then the Aurora would own the O'Neill whether it's ZPM powered or not.

If General_Finley's battle was to include a ZPM powered Ancient Aurora then IMO that would win against the other five ships or six if you keep the Asuran's Aurora in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
            IMO if the Aurora was to fire an Orion style volley then the Aurora would own the O'Neill whether it's ZPM powered or not.

If General_Finley's battle was to include a ZPM powered Ancient Aurora then IMO that would win against the other five ships or six if you keep the Asuran's Aurora in.
            I agree, thats why I didn't put it because even a none ZPM Aurora owns practically everything which brings up the question why are Asuran Auroras not as good as Ancient Auroras?
            sigpic
            Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
            STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
              I agree, thats why I didn't put it because even a none ZPM Aurora owns practically everything which brings up the question why are Asuran Auroras not as good as Ancient Auroras?
              Well Drones from Asuran Auroras didn't appear to be fired off at a great rate like the Orion has been shown to, I think the Apollo was shown to resist the Drone's effects on it's shields when it swooped in to save one of Todd's Hives so maybe they're just not a perfect copy of Ancient tech or Asgard shields can just resist however Drone tech bypasses or penetrates them, Asuran shield generators/emitters, basic power generation and distribution may just not be as good, a few percent of a decrease in ability over a multitude of components may have a major effect in their abilities.
              All of those things could contribute to a lesser Aurora, perhaps with the methods that the Asurans used to refine their building materials leaving minor impurities that the Ancients would have whittled out over the millions of years of improving the methods.
              TBH it could be anything, all I know is that Joe Malozzi said they're good copies, they're just not the real (Ancient) thing and what we've seen of their lack of performance in BAMSR.

That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                Superhive would own all of them. Unless the replicators can board the Superhive...if the Replicator O'neill gets destroyed before it infests the Superhive then the Superhive wins. If the Replicators get onboard the Hive then the Hive still wins but eventually the Replicators kill everyone on board and the Reps win.

Instead of an Asuran Aurora why not an Ancient ZPM powered Aurora?

What are peoples opinions on an O'neill vs Aurora (ancient) without a ZPM? And also an O'neill vs a ZPM powered Aurora?
                We've had this debate at least a hundred times. One can't use logic and what we've seen to come to any conclusion about a aurora with or without a zpm. Everyone would agree an aurora (on it's own terms) could defeat several hives. We know that Larins aurora hardly dominated the bamsr battle. We don't know if the ancients were even competent tacticians or they were like the asgard with no clue how to fight an equal opponent. We don't know how auroras would fare in a battle whose circumstances weren't of its choosing. I personally doubt the drones get thru the asgard shields if the asgard have time to prepare for the battle.

Comment

Holy crap. lol.

I was suppost to be keeping track of this, it exploded much quicker than i thought it would. Does everything seem to going ok? keeping track 'n' all?

I'll do a catch up in a few days and list the battles and pages, but im too busy now with my fanfiction, Stargate:New Earth.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by ianjones1246 View Post
                    Now... on a different vs. topic - Peacekeeper Command Carrier vs. Wraith Hive - who would win?

My money goes to the Peacekeepers (i think the command carriers are estimated at 40km long?), plus they have 2 layers of shielding (granted a single layer has holes in... but its still reasonably effective), massive quantities of fighters/ bombers - and big huge plasma throwing cannons.
                    If you used it properly the Command Carrier is actually one of the most effective warships in visual sci-fi. Everything it launches is FTL capable and even its fighters have access to missiles that are also FTL capable.

It can also destroy entire planets through means unknown apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      If you used it properly the Command Carrier is actually one of the most effective warships in visual sci-fi. Everything it launches is FTL capable and even its fighters have access to missiles that are also FTL capable.

It can also destroy entire planets through means unknown apparently.
                      Peackeeper ships are crazy. They are immense weapons of war

An Imperial Retributions class battleship would have it tho....
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Imperial Retribution class

Battlestar Columbia

Imperial Stardestroyer

Harharhar!!!
                        sigpic
                        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                          Peackeeper ships are crazy. They are immense weapons of war

An Imperial Retributions class battleship would have it tho....
                          I'm actually not positive about that. In a stand up fight probably. At long range where the command carrier had time to launch things though it could get more interesting. The Retribution does have 40k level point defenses though, even if it doesn't have fighters of it's own to defend itself.

The retribution isn't visual sci-fi though. Book Sci-fi always comes off better because it's a lot easier to write things as being powerful/sensible there. It's when you transition it to a TV screen that you have to contend with people who think that unless both ships are stationary 100 feet apart the audience will get confused as to what's actually happening.

I think the kings of visual sci-fi are probably the Command Carrier (If used properly), the Lexx (again if used properly) and the Andromeda. The last one being basically entirely the result of how that universes canon policy is suppossed to work.

I'm watching the ancient Blakes 7 show on DVD now and it almost hilarious how their effects budget being even more limited, to the point of barely existing, forces them to have what at times actually appears like more realistic depictions of space combat. At least the ships are implied to actually be in motion and fairly far apart most of the time, even if they are wobbeling side to side on the strings that support them.

For so many later shows to somehow manage to take a much prettier computer generated step back in realism from this is well... shocking.

Comment

I'm actually not positive about that. In a stand up fight probably. At long range where the command carrier had time to launch things though it could get more interesting. The Retribution does have 40k level point defenses though, even if it doesn't have fighters of it's own to defend itself.

The retribution isn't visual sci-fi though. Book Sci-fi always comes off better because it's a lot easier to write things as being powerful/sensible there. It's when you transition it to a TV screen that you have to contend with people who think that unless both ships are stationary 100 feet apart the audience will get confused as to what's actually happening.

I think the kings of visual sci-fi are probably the Command Carrier (If used properly), the Lexx (again if used properly) and the Andromeda. The last one being basically entirely the result of how that universes canon policy is suppossed to work.

I'm watching the ancient Blakes 7 show on DVD now and it almost hilarious how their effects budget being even more limited, to the point of barely existing, forces them to have what at times actually appears like more realistic depictions of space combat. At least the ships are implied to actually be in motion and fairly far apart most of the time, even if they are wobbeling side to side on the strings that support them.

For so many later shows to somehow manage to take a much prettier computer generated step back in realism from this is well... shocking.
                            In reference to the Ret vs the PKCC, valid points, the fighters would be a pain. But would the fighters have enough punch to affect the hide of the Ret?
                            The PKCC is a great, massive all rounder, but the Ret is a solid battleship that has weapons batteries with a calibre of a bungalow......it doesn't need to get close.
                            Lance batteries are pretty, and let's not forget skyscraper sized torpedoes.
                            PK Captain 'Tactical, what are those smaller ships moving towards us?@
                            PK tac officer 'Sir, those aren't ships, those are...munitions....'

Though, the CC's massive 'winona's' could reek havoc.
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                              In reference to the Ret vs the PKCC, valid points, the fighters would be a pain. But would the fighters have enough punch to affect the hide of the Ret?
                              The PKCC is a great, massive all rounder, but the Ret is a solid battleship that has weapons batteries with a calibre of a bungalow......it doesn't need to get close.
                              Lance batteries are pretty, and let's not forget skyscraper sized torpedoes.
                              PK Captain 'Tactical, what are those smaller ships moving towards us?@
                              PK tac officer 'Sir, those aren't ships, those are...munitions....'

Though, the CC's massive 'winona's' could reek havoc.
                              Yeah by "in close" I mean realistic close not sci-fi TV close, so we're talking something like hundreds of thousands of kilometers. The Retribution has weapons that can easily reach out to those sorts of ranges.

The Command Carrier only outranges it because all its carried fighter craft have their own FTL drives so it can conceivably still attack the Retribution even from lightyears away.

I have doubt on the capacity of Prowlers and such to get through the Retribution's point defences though, it would have to depend on how many of them there are. As far as their weapons being effective or not they fire some sort of blue blast that seems to disintegrate Scarran hulls in PK wars. If it's some sort of matter disintigrating weapon it should work.

In close the Retribution's got the advantage in firepower but the command carrier isn't exactly a paper target either. There was one episode where the main crew was able to construct this giant nuke type bomb shown here...

http://www.farscapecaps.com/122/index.php?page=15

...out of stuff they just had lying around, and ended up using it to ignite the surface of an oil covered moon because it was deemed ineffective against the command carrier chasing them. They also talked about possibly ramming the command carrier with one of their roughly bus sized shuttle vehicles that can accelerate to FTL speeds, but Aeryn shot that down as being barely capable of stunning it even if it crashed right into the bridge.

What makes the Command Carrier noteworthy in visual sci-fi really is it's the only carrier I can think of that's actually shown and depicted exploiting the whole concept properly. In the whole Farscape series the crew almost never saw the actual Command Carrier itself that was chasing them, it was always a gunship or commando team or something else that was deployed from it that would happen across them. Then PK wars came along and ruined 4 years of sensible depiction with the typical "sit still 100 feet apart and shoot at each other" bull****, but that's hardly the best reason to dislike that particular miniseries, Farscape's "Ark of Truth".

Comment

Dumbed down audiences?
                                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                                X