The Stargate's Eighth Chevron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
    <snip>I don't think the addresses are map coordinates in the sky...I think they are just phone numbers. Since the Altera lived on Avalon(Earth) they chose star constellations as their 'numbers', which is why it looks that way from Earth, but wouldn't make sense from any other planet, especially from other galaxies.
    Problem with that is that 50 million years ago when the first gates were built, Earth's constellations looked nothing like they do today, not even remotely close. Stellar drift.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    or maybe the 9th is an unique sequence which isnt so much of an adress but more of a macro
    You might be closer to the answer than you think. In the early press releases it was stated that the ninth chevron transported one to the Destiny, regardless of where the ship is in the universe. If that holds as part of the series' premise, then that rules out the ninth being a "cluster" code to another group of galaxies, which would be rather pointless anyway since the average viewer doesn't appreciate the distance from here to the next nearest star, let alone the much vaster distances between galaxies, or the even more staggering distances between groups of galaxies. The concept would simply be lost on most viewers.

I put forth a theory in another thread a while back, and it could be just as wrong as anyone else's, but here it is:

If the sole purpose of the ninth is immediate transport to the destiny, regardless of whether it's ten light years away or millions of light years, then it would seem the ninth is not a co-ordinate or a distance calculation. Perhaps the ninth chevron IS the address to Destiny, all contained within that one chevron. To activate it however requires a specific combination of eight co-ordinates preceding it, involving all the chevrons. At some point during the dialing, the system recognizes that you're not dialing a gate address, but the combination sequence needed to activate the ninth and learning that sequence of symbols is the key. Perhaps that is what Dr. Rush is trying to determine.

If my theory is correct then you can pass out the cigars this October. If I'm wrong then I'll be leavin' town lickety-split, no return address. Bye.

Anyway that's the second time I've recycled that theory. Probably good for one more recycling in another thread before the series debut.
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

what keeps bugging me is the Clavia Thessaria infinatis or so. the key to infinite treasure. but the irony is, it has nine syllabels, and the ancients used syllabels like Pro Cla Rush Ta O Nas At. a name is its adress.

Cla Via Thes Sa Ris In Fin At Is

this would explain some more things. rush believed only the icarus base can dial the 9th chevron. logical if (Is) is the POO of the planet.

what i'm thinking. if the 9th chevron's purpose is to dial the destiny, then, why not combine yours and mine, the eight chevrons before are the Key. meaning the Key to infinite treasure, its name is the Key, the last syllabel is the 9th chevron and the chevrons before are the key to unlock it.

so:

the clavia thessaris infinatis is the adress of the destiny. one could never find it as its just the name that is the key. speculation of it being an adress is useless as we've never seen a 9th being used. thus we'd never speculate it before.

the (Is) is the POO of the Icarus Base, making only Icarus Base capable of dialling. why they havent succeeded dialling yet is simple: they know all symbols except one or two. so they have to play around, dialling several thousands of adresses to get that one, lucky shot. when the base is attacked, naturally the right combination is entered. why not flee to earth? Rush: wants to get to the destiny. or the gate(said to be modified) cant be switched to normal function fast enough.

and i believe all concept of distance was lost because of atlantis. there, the 3 weeks to do 3 million lightyears killed it.

Comment

what keeps bugging me is the Clavia Thessaria infinatis or so. the key to infinite treasure. but the irony is, it has nine syllabels, and the ancients used syllabels like Pro Cla Rush Ta O Nas At. a name is its adress.
        Clavia who??

this would explain some more things. rush believed only the icarus base can dial the 9th chevron.<snip>
        He did? How so?

what i'm thinking. if the 9th chevron's purpose is to dial the destiny, then, why not combine yours and mine, the eight chevrons before are the Key. meaning the Key to infinite treasure, its name is the Key, the last syllabel is the 9th chevron and the chevrons before are the key to unlock it.

so:

the clavia thessaris infinatis is the adress of the destiny. one could never find it as its just the name that is the key. speculation of it being an adress is useless as we've never seen a 9th being used. thus we'd never speculate it before.
        Well, if we're both right, that's just more cigars for everyone to pass out.

and i believe all concept of distance was lost because of atlantis. there, the 3 weeks to do 3 million lightyears killed it.
        Very true. And so the concept of going from one local group to another would have no additional impact on the audio. ("Oh wow! They're going to another group this season! I can hardly wait to see that!")

A few other points, all of which I preface with IMO:

1. The eight chevron is a distance (and possibly a directional) calculation, not an area code to another network. When you dial, say from Earth to Atlantis in Pegasus (assuming you have sufficient power) the eighth directs you the correct distance and direction to a seven-symbol address in that distant region of space, in this case the Pegasus galaxy.

2. Extra distance requires extra power, lots of it, equal to that of a ZPM. I guess we all know that. The distance that determines whether an eighth symbol is required to access another stargate is unknown, but its probably somewhere in the void of intergalactic space.

3. What we call gate networks aren't really 'networks' in the sense that each one is a closed system with a unique technology. They're distinguished as individual networks only because they're grouped together inside galaxies and are accessible to each other via 7-symbol addresses. Read on:

4. Gate networks do not have to consist of one gate type. If, for example, the Milky Way contained a mix of both MW and Pegasus gates they could all function together as one network, just as different types of telephones can easily access each other all around the world. Dialing might be a bit confusing because of the different gate symbols, but that's all. (Also it might be necessary to reinstall control crystals to all of the Pegasus gates.)

5. If I'm correct on this and the other above points, that explodes the "frequency" theory. Sorry Aer'ki.

Again, the above 5 points are all IMO.
        My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Clavia who??
          "memento"

its something a goauld searched

read wikipedia

Comment

Cla Via Thes Sa Ria In Fin At Is
            That is an interesting idea, about the name being the address...even more so that my multiple gate network theory fits into the address. I said that the network jump symbol comes after the point of origin. If the address is written from earth's perspective, then Earth's point of origin should come 8th...which it does. We know that "At" is the Earth POO from the series.

So, the planet that it is located on would be 'Cla Via Thes Sa Ria In' located in whatever galaxy 'Fin' stands for, dialed from Earth 'At', and jumped to network 'Is' which could be maybe gates with green crystals instead of red.

The key to infinite treasure could be a shipyard, ZPM factory, warehouse, etc. on a secure gate network.

Interesting connection, wouldn't you say.
            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

There is a flaw

Proclarush Taonas would have received its meaning of "lost in fire" idiomatically: we know that Ancient and Latin are related languages. Nevertheless, the Latin words for lost and fire are completely unrelated to Proclarush Taonas. This means that the planet got its name from its 'Gate address, and the name "Proclarush Taonas" came to mean "lost in fire" only as a result of its destruction by the death of its star.

Conversely, Clavia Thessaria Infinitis is pretty close to straight up Latin, not a 'Gate address. "Key"=clavis, "to treasire"=thesaurus, and "infinite"=infinitus.

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
              So, the planet that it is located on would be 'Cla Via Thes Sa Ria In' located in whatever galaxy 'Fin' stands for, dialed from Earth 'At', and jumped to network 'Is' which could be maybe gates with green crystals instead of red.

The key to infinite treasure could be a shipyard, ZPM factory, warehouse, etc. on a secure gate network.

Interesting connection, wouldn't you say.
              Incorrect: the point being made was that the Address is "Cla Via The Sa Ria In Fin It," that this is the address of the Destiny, and that the point of origin that must be used is "Iss," which is why the dialing has to be done from Icarus Base, the only planet with the "Iss" PoO. However, as I noted above, Clavia Thessaria Infinitis is not an address.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

it could be however. just cause it doesnt follow the proclarush taonas way, doesnt mean it isnt.

and we already have one symbol then:

Cla-rush
                Cla-via

Comment

it could be however. just cause it doesnt follow the proclarush taonas way, doesnt mean it isnt.
                  Except that Clavis Thesauro Infinito actually means "key to infinite treasure" in Latin, as opposed to Proclarush Taonas, which means absolutely nothing outside the context of the planet.

Thus, unless the Ancients were feeling witty and thus specifically chose the Destiny's address to mean "the key to infinite treasure," there is no way that Clavia Thessaria Infinitis represents the Destiny's address.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

my point is, the name of the key is the key itself. no one will ever see something that stupidly simple. then you have to somehow find out what the symbols are, then you have to find the planet that has the right POO

Comment

Right, I have an idea about the eighth chevron and its purpose. It isn't a galaxy code, it IS a distance calculation which would allow you to dial many galaxies and allow you to always get a specific gate in said galaxy. If you take for example the Atlantis address, that was discovered by SGC or whoever it was, this address would only work from earth and I'll explain why.

Atlantis, when located in PG had a specific address in the PG network based on Daniel Jackson's theory of 6 symbols giving an area a gate is located and a point of origin to map the route. However, this is not how I believe this is not how the gates work intergalactically.

I believe when dailling a gate in a different galaxy you do not require its galactic address at all, infact cant use its 'normal' galactic address.

It works like this:
                      -The first 6 symbols of the address give you and area in space in MW (assuming you're dailling from MW). It is logically only possible to plot a location in a certain galaxy using a gate from that galaxy because of the star constellations that are used as points to plot the area in space.
                      -The point of origin maps the route. This will now give a direction from the dailling planet
                      -The additional 8th chevron was said to be 'an extra distance calculation'. With the addition of an 8th symbol, it takes the route distance and multiplies it or does some kind of addition to the distance. This there for pushes the given area of space outwards further away from the point of origin but in the same direction, enabling the stargate to connect with a stargate much further away(given ALOT of extra power).

So the Atlantis address used from Earth gave a given area of space in the direction of Atlantis from Earth(6 symbols) the added distance symbol to shift that point to the location of Atlantis then the point of origin. Therefore this address used by the SGC will not work on any other planet as the direction will not be correct.

This application of the eighth symbol would allow the stargates to dial well over 39 galaxies, maybe thousands(a guess) with addition of the 9th chevron it could even dial a greater distance then galaxies. This is possible as it doesnt seem exclusive to the Destiny as that address seem more like a code as you had to use Earths PoO.

I understand thats difficult to understand, ask if your not sure about any of this

Comment

although originally the gate glyphs changed ("Children of the Gods" ) it was simply retconned.

therefore your theory once might've been right but right now, it's not

Comment

Ok scratch my last theory, I had a brain wave. So far we've had that the eighth chevron is a galaxy co-ordinate and then a distance calculation. Maybe they're both wrong?

I was thinking that using both these methods it seriously limits the amount of galaxies able to dial. SO I thought each galaxy has its own address, which would be 8 symbols long this would give 63,606,090,240 possible galaxies able to dial still leaving the 1,987,690,320 possible seven symbol address for planets within a given galaxy.

This would work a couple of ways:
                          1) There is a kind of master gate for each galaxy, meaning anytime the galaxy address is dialed, it always dials the same gate in the given galaxy. For example this would make Atlantis' address actually the Pegasus galaxy address from the MilkyWay as using this way of operating it would make the Atlantis gate the Pegasus 'master gate'. This would also deam Earths gate as the MilkyWay 'master gate' and Othallas gate as the Ida 'master gate'

2) Each gate has a sister gate in every other galaxy, so its the same principle as before but each gate has its own 'master gate' for each galaxy for example take Atlantis again. Using this operation it would mean that only earth can dial Atlantis from the Milkyway because Atlantis' gate is earths Pegasus 'sister gate' and vice-versa. Same with the Ida galaxy, Othalla's gate is Earths Ida 'sister gate'.

3) When dialing another galaxy it connects to random gate in the recieving galaxy, this option is not very plausible as getting Atlantis and Othalla would be impossibly lucky let alone twice in a row etc.

And as for galaxy clusters these can be determined by the 9th chevron giving a possible 1,971,788,797,440 addresses as I still believe that the Destiny address is some kind of macro.

I think this would be more visable then the other theories, I would like to hear what you think about this

Comment

how about this

the first 6 symbols give the point (or direction) through which the worm hole must travel the #7 glyph gives an extra distance and specific gate(in other words how much further the wormhole must go after reaching the point dictated by the first six glyphs) then the 8th anfd final glyph is the PoO
                            sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Working...
                            X