No announcement yet.

Wraith ships shouldn't explode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but sound is a conscious choice. most scifi people choose to DO have sound in space because it makes stuff more interesting. i'd personally hate to see no sound in stargate, only music when they battle.

Comment

There shouldn't be sound in space either. But there is in the Stargate World!
      I wonder if Teal'c ever has a bad hair day?

Linky
      Survey Safari

Comment

i just said that and many more said.

and how do you know the bombs used on hives werent really powerfull bombs. and to move hives, as i said, you need such insane amounts of energy,+ powering weapons and healing and even OPERATING such a ship requires absolutely massive amounts of energy. seeing the form of explosion, i wouldnt be surprised if they used this really powerfull fusion reactor that, when it blows up, shoots superheated plasma in every direction

Comment

Um our most powerful our most powerful thermonuclear devises can vaporive anything within twenty five miles now imagine a naquidah inhanced nuke beamed into a hive, there is going to to be an explosion, or well of a sorts, there would be enough matter to creat a plasma wave plus being inside a ship allows for a thermobaric pressure wave to form, so yes wraith ships should explode.
          sigpic
          Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
          STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
            Two reasons...

1st...they are made of biomatter. That stuff isn't flamable, certainly not explodable.

2nd...the mass involved. A ship the size of a hive ship would see tiny explosions at best. Whoever drew up the graphics of hive ships getting killed was operating off of a smaller ship mentality. Things that large don't explode, they break up. Most of the time they just suffer damage and keep on moving.

We see this problem with most space combat in stargate. Metal or biomatter bulkheads don't simply explode, they are torn apart by weapons fire or internal explosions.

This isn't Star Trek with the magical 'dissintegrate' setting that completely ignores where the matter would go. Though it would never happen, I wish they'd go back through the series and fix the visuals much the way Star Trek did with the original series.
            in this particular area i would just say that you are a critic-no offence. but there are a few points about that:
            1. C4 and nukes do tend to explode as far as i no
            2. its science fiction-anything can happen
            3. please dont compare star trek to stargate.
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

More realistic destruction gets the 'Wow' factor, not the overused, illogical fireball.
              oh for gods sake stop being so critical please. to some people bigger explosions get the "wow" factor and to others the smaller, so called "more realistic" explosions get it. its a matter of perspective on the area not one person bagging the whole thing saying it doesnt look realistic enough. seriously what does it matter if they use big explosions and destroy organic material-who cares.

Spoiler:

Comment

Look, if you detonated a bomb inside a hive ship, then that section of that deck should theoretically dissinegrate into an exploding debris field that will fly into nearby decks. Those decks will be damaged, warped, etc, while the debris cloud pushes through halls and doors etc further into the ship.

On the outside you should see small geysers where the debris cloud busted out 'window' or docking ports or hangar bays...but the vast majority of the ship will be undamaged.

It's like how a two by four piece of wood can penetrate concrete if accelerated fast enough...but put enough concrete blocks in a row and it goes nowhere.

YOU CANNOT HAVE A ONE BLAST KILL FOR A HIVE SHIP. The ship is just too big.

Even if you had the reactor blow, it will only destroy a piece of the ship, maybe enough to break the ship in two or three pieces, but there won't be more damage than that.

What you see are 'plot weapons' that give quick, time saving kills for our heroes to accomplish within the 43 minutes slotted for the show. It would make the Wraith a lot more menacing if they were more realistic and showed how darn hard it is to kill a ship that big.

Drones should not be able to kill it very fast, due to its size and biomatter makeup, which further works into the fact of how the wraith defeated the Lanteans. Yes, their big energy weapon cut the hive ship in half(satelite) and that is believable, aside from the aftwards explosion, but drones wouldn't do much given their nature, aside from targeting specific systems to knock out (which they would be very good at).
                well i dont no about anyone else here but i can tell that someone around here doesnt no the difference between science fiction and science fact-not pointing out anyone in particular.

Spoiler:

Comment

Well the nukes are ALWAYS beamd to the dart bay, caus there'll be secondary explosions.
                  Just look at SGA "Allies", the Daedalus fiers Railguns at the dart bay, it's severly damedeg.
                  Then think what a MK VIII would do, we saw it in "The seige part 3".
                  sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Excalibar View Post
                    in this particular area i would just say that you are a critic-no offence. but there are a few points about that:
                    1. C4 and nukes do tend to explode as far as i no
                    2. its science fiction-anything can happen
                    3. please dont compare star trek to stargate.
                    I disagree with point 2. Science fiction should only include things that are either possible in science or not ruled out by science. The impossible is fantastical and so belongs in fantasy. In fact I support the idea of reclassifying unscientific sci-fi as fantasy, including sci-fi.

Comment

isnt stargate already classed as scifi/fantasy familly show?

Comment

im pretty sure it is at least as far as i no.

Spoiler:

Comment

Yes, Stargate is classified as Sci-fi, not fantasy.
                          sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Ok, laundry list here.

1. Sound in space- if it comes from a ship, then you should be able to hear it inside the ship(your own weapons) and not anything from beyond the ship.

If the CAMERA position is an omniscient position, then the sound effects for everything are ok, but if the CAMERA position is taking the point of view of a person, ship, etc, then the sound effects must be correct from that point of view.

Stargate doesn't follow this rule much, by the way.

2. We do not have a nuke that can vaporize anything at 1 mile away, let alone 25 miles. If you have an iron cube, one meter in diameter, a nuke is not going to vaporize that. Also, that 25 mile radius is assuming there's nothing between you and the bomb. If the blast wave hits something in between it loses power or is stopped entirely.

The mass of a Hive Ship would dampen the blast by sheer number of molecules that the wave would have to effect. The energy would bleed off real fast.

It's like punching the air, then trying to punch into a lake or pool. Your fist doesn't go very far because the material you are hitting absorbs your impact.

3. Sci-fi has rules...fantasy does not. Stargate's writers kinda jump from one to the other whenever it pleases them. If a precedent is established in earlier episodes(technology) it has to be followed or given a logical explanation as to why it is no longer valid.

Like "no beaming through shields". Later it was stated that ring transports can pass through shields if the shields allow a specific frequency through. That's legit. Having persons beamed off a doomed ship with shields raise because they're the main characters and can't be allowed to die is not legit.

4. If you don't care about how these things work, then don't post in the SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY section!
                            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

2. We do not have a nuke that can vaporize anything at 1 mile away, let alone 25 miles. If you have an iron cube, one meter in diameter, a nuke is not going to vaporize that.
                              According to my calculations if only one face is facing the explosion and all the energy that hits the cube it's transformed in heat and distributed uniformely it would take 474 megatons at 1 mile. At 25 miles it would take 625 times more (296 gigatons).

Comment

Aer'ki, are your assumptions based upon RL nukes or the dozens-of-gigatons SG nukes, + the insanely powerfull reactors of the ship. for a ship that size, probably gigatons aswell.

Comment

Working...
                                X