No announcement yet.

MAC guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personaly i dont get why people think earth can build such large railguns/coilguns. For earth, railguns are cutting edge technology, both in stargate and rl, thats just barely being developed/introduced. As far as i'm aware, its not the same, engineering wise, to build a rifle, and a battleship cannon, plus there should be significant limits to size do to material strenghts, heat resistance, wear and tear and such, meaning that if you build a large gun, it'll break way too soon to be usefull.

And even if it is possible,i'm not surprised our ships dont have them. The deadalus was designed rather quickly so they probably didnt have the time to design such huge and complex structural components that wouldnt break other ships functions.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

So we can't build giant railguns, but we can build Asgard uber beams that can own ascended tech?

Which is more likely?

Comment

a railgun is two metal bars with a few thousand amps on them and a piece of metal inbetween acting as bullet. how simple can it be? yes, you need some seriously powerfull materials to hold the barrel in place. actually, just a very long barrel on a normal deadalus gun can significantly enhance the speed. after all, there is a much longer accelleration. wear and tear is arbitrary as you could use a twin gatling configuration to rapidly change barrels. alien materials can make a much more powerfull barrel, and inertial dampeners only working on the barrel and inertial enhancers(opposite of dampeners) working on the twin gatling config to lessen the force the barrel applies sideways would further enhance this. the bullets would be terribly fast and powerfull. hell, you dont need longer bullets but rather bigger caliber ones. F(l)=BIL. Lorentzforce=magnetic field x amperes on the wire x lenght of the wire.

in this case, its a bullet. so the L is the caliber of bullet. I is the amperes running through the weapon. only drawback: bigger gun=bigger forces on the gun. using a material for the bullet that easily absorbs heat would be best. lessens the heat on the weapon.

anyway, a massdriver is better as its frictionless

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
          A rail gun?
          mass drivers, they can fire anything not just alu shells, the centauri used them to bombard the narn home world in babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            plasma suffers from Lorentz force. the more energetic your blast the more easily deflected. F(l)=BQV. Tesla(magnetic field)xCharge(electron=1)xVelocity(m/s)

as you can see the particle charge is taken into account.
            I'll have to take your word for it as I don't understand all the physics equations stuff.

Originally posted by Character View Post
            Personaly i dont get why people think earth can build such large railguns/coilguns. For earth, railguns are cutting edge technology, both in stargate and rl, thats just barely being developed/introduced. As far as i'm aware, its not the same, engineering wise, to build a rifle, and a battleship cannon, plus there should be significant limits to size do to material strenghts, heat resistance, wear and tear and such, meaning that if you build a large gun, it'll break way too soon to be usefull.

And even if it is possible,i'm not surprised our ships dont have them. The deadalus was designed rather quickly so they probably didnt have the time to design such huge and complex structural components that wouldnt break other ships functions.
            Of course Rail gun tech was new for Earth like 4 or so years ago, we got the beam weapons like 2 or 3 years after Daedalus was built so you'd think Area 51 or someone who knows about all the High Tech stuff that's been developed by the Air Force would think about simply scaling a cannon to handle ammo that's a bit bigger, hell even a faster moving mobile projectile designed for use against the Wraith would have been something and it is sci-fi after all, with made up uber materials that seem to be many times stronger than real world stuff, so IMO it's not that far fetched to have the military tacking on some better weapons, they upgraded Prometheus after she was put into service, the same is also possible for the 304s since Earth's reproduced the beams and a variation of the Odyssey's computer core.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            So we can't build giant railguns, but we can build Asgard uber beams that can own ascended tech?

Which is more likely?
            Well before the Asgard knowledge base and Matter Conversion tech I'd say Rail guns that are a bit bigger, but if Earth can mass produce matter conversion tech either should be a possibility and a type of MAC cannon may be less power hungry than the beam weapons.

Comment

plasma suffers from Lorentz force. the more energetic your blast the more easily deflected. F(l)=BQV. Tesla(magnetic field)xCharge(electron=1)xVelocity(m/s)

as you can see the particle charge is taken into account.
              good old k-man, allways good math

Comment

Originally posted by Hotpoint View Post
                A several hundred kilo mass-driver round going at hypersonic velocity crashing into a Wraith Hive and driving its way like a wrecking ball through deck after deck would have certainly been amusing SFX wise.

There ain't no kill like a kinetic kill
                the idea for how it would look reminds me of the enterprize getting hit with a torpedo when the shields were down, it went verticaly throught he ship, i think it was the search for spock or undiscovered country

Comment

the best way for a stable railgun is an inert superconductive naquahdah barrel firing trinium projectiles.

F=m.a

by minimizing m with trinium, you get maximum accelleration for the projectile

by maximizing m with naquahdah, the barrel accellerates much less sideways, thus requiring less strenghtenings.

Comment

the best way for a stable railgun is an inert superconductive naquahdah barrel firing trinium projectiles.

F=m.a

by minimizing m with trinium, you get maximum accelleration for the projectile

by maximizing m with naquahdah, the barrel accellerates much less sideways, thus requiring less strenghtenings.
                    not to mention a vacume for decresed air friction, the pressure wave ahead of the projectile could be very damaging to the rail gun, just look at the forces involved in supersonic flight

Comment

Railgun
                      Gauss gun

Comment

MAC guns!! a weapon that takes full advantage of the laws of physics. Hit something hard enough with enough force and it'll crack!!
                        "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that would explain this"

HALLOWED ARE THE SHIPPERS!

sigpic

PROUD TO BE ENGLISH

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                          Are the Mass Drivers similar to the MAC cannons in the Haloverse?
                          yeah thats y i started thinking about it

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                            Could you super heat the shell or whatever you're firing in one of these MAC guns and turn it into plasma?

I'd love to see MAC gun ships in the SGverse, even some race in a future SGA film that uses that kind of tech in a satellite defense weapon to defend themselves against the Wraith.
                            wouldnt the plasma just fly everywhere without a magnetic feild to hold it together?

Comment

It seems like the Railguns on the 304 are nothing really but Anti Aircraft guns and not really built to take on ships, but make ones that are about th size of this ships gns and i think they could do some serios damage

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/bb62atpearl.jpg

Those 16inch guns fire a projectile fired projectiles weighing from 1,900 to 2,700 pounds
                              Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by mkb441 View Post
                                wouldnt the plasma just fly everywhere without a magnetic feild to hold it together?
                                Smaller Rail Gun shells seem to do fine, I'm guessing that those get pretty hot by the glow they give off flying through space, surely they'd be hot enough to melt some of the way through a Hive's hull so a shell five or so times the size could be okay.
                                Thinking about as long as you've got a shell made of Trinium like thekillman said that would I think work pretty well, retaining a lot of hit, keeping it's cohesion so that it didn't just splat a Hive's hull like a bug on a windscreen.

TBH from the sounds of what some people have said just the greater impact from a larger fast moving projectile could be enough to work wonders against enemies like the Wraith, I mean Earth of course has the beams, but there's always a chance that they can go offline.
                                Perhaps Earth should just start building some smaller vessels that use MAC cannons as their main weapons, like a dedicated MAC gun ship, they could churn out a few in the time it takes them to build one 304, use them as support ships, build cannons and projectiles that can one shot kill a Hive if that's possible, even keep a nuke charge inside of each projectile and you'd be sorted.
                                A bit of Beardiness (Fanwank) when talking about ship weapons is always good when thinking of ways to kill Wraith ships.

Comment

Working...
                                X