No announcement yet.

Can we see galaxies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always hoped that one day people will realize how idiotic war is and how useless it is and just stop it. When that day come the door of the universe will open all the way for use.
    the only use of war is rapid scientific development.

no, untill people see how useless RELIGION is, the universe opens up to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
      War is idiotic yes i totally agree, but is nessasary in some cases, as in helping the people in iraq from being in fear 24/7, it's totally wrong. We are there to help a people, and for me that shows the good in us. We have seen what we can accomplish when we come together and work in times of crisis. 9/11 showed what humanity is capable of, but it also showed the grit and determination of hundreds of people to save who they could. With these scum of the earth, the terrorists and religuos nuts we cannot move forward.
      I always thought it showed that most people would rather watch the end of the world unfold on TV with celebrity commentary than would actually try to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
        I always thought it showed that most people would rather watch the end of the world unfold on TV with celebrity commentary than would actually try to stop it.

I'm talking about the army -.- But you have a point, we have to get off our arses and make something of ourselves. Maybe not all of us, but the majority nedd to rise up to a new challenge, again as Obama said " the world is changing, and we must change with".

Oh and why dont u go and say what you just said to those who lost family and loved ones trying to save those from disasters like 9/11. Those people show the good in humanity, they don't do it for the money or fame or whatever, but they do it because it is the right thing to do, and for me that shows hope and potential for our immature race.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Wait im sorry, Scientific development? Maybe in world war 2, and maybe even 1, but no other wars have benefited. Also, if you see that as a viable excuse for war, there is something wrong with you, and religion is not the only problem, but it is sure up there and i agree with that point.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
            I'm talking about the army -.- But you have a point, we have to get off our arses and make something of ourselves. Maybe not all of us, but the majority nedd to rise up to a new challenge, again as Obama said " the world is changing, and we must change with".

Oh and why dont u go and say what you just said to those who lost family and loved ones trying to save those from disasters like 9/11. Those people show the good in humanity, they don't do it for the money or fame or whatever, but they do it because it is the right thing to do, and for me that shows hope and potential for our immature race.
            Perfectly true. I hope I'm the kind of guy who takes action, but I'm a white Englishman who isn't poor, so I have nothing to fight for personally.

Originally posted by thekillman

Actually, it's normally because of technological progress that a war starts. England built the empire because it could make identical cannons that took identical shots. WW1 -> mass production. WW2 -> rocketry, mechanisation and fighter planes.

Also the biggest question is 'why bother to send humans into space?'
            It's a lot more dangerous and costly in every respect than remote observation or robotic probes. Also one question that has arisen is 'why not go there in a simulation?'
            Britain does not support human spaceflight for those reasons. It takes away from much more useful endeavors.

Comment

Imagine a Space Station planted in between galaxies with windows on all sides. What a gorgeous view!
              sigpic

Comment

That would be impossible.
                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

I find it note worthy that someone who finds religion to be so worthless would see such a view of war as listed above. I'm not surprised.

For the record, I disagree. Religion is worth so much, but only to those that can see the value.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wait im sorry, Scientific development? Maybe in world war 2, and maybe even 1, but no other wars have benefited. Also, if you see that as a viable excuse for war, there is something wrong with you, and religion is not the only problem, but it is sure up there and i agree with that point.
                    eeh yes. scientific development. computers and the internet are due to the millitary due to the arms race, that even today continues on. due to the new materials for both spacecraft and aircraft needed, we get stronger better materials in RL. and it was a millitary goal that got us space and aircraft in the first place.

war, or the threat of war has given us more than you think.

as i said: war is only good for technological development. i never said it was OK to slaughter innocent people. oh wait, it was war that gave us efficient warfare. so we DONT kill 100000 people to win a war. mostly its just a few civillian casualties. which is much less than the few million due to the two famous bombs, which IMO were inevitable and actually without them, much worse couldve happened. because if it wasnt for those two bombs, either many more people were killed in a much longer lasting war, OR we never realized the power of such weapons and killed ourselves.

war is not evil. in my eyes Religion is evil. well not the innocent benevolent thought behind religion, its the execution and the inevitable bad execution of religion that creates the evil i speak of. as i said, if it was for religion something like thunder was still made by gods, everything was due to a god and not through a rather normal scientific event. imagine being much like an ape fearing anyhting outside what our 1 gram of brains could understand, stuff like fire and lightning. thats how far we would be if it was for religion.

science is MUCH better. not perfect. but if you ask me, "can we mess around with our genes?" i'd answer, "yes as long as its controlled alteration and not random messing around."

IMO gene manipulation is nothing more but the next step of evolution. a few billion years ago cells could freely interchange genes. right now, we're doing the same again. kill an unborn child as the answer to cancer? i wouldnt even think about NOT doing it. the child IMO cant think. the body is developing and to have active brains IMO would only hurt the kid as nerves are still building. and imagine the discomfort of the brain to feel every last movement of the mother. IMO a foetus does not think and its life is only the activity of its body. Cogito ergo sum. thus killing it is not murder. to clarify: It would be denial of life which is more acceptable if the quality of said life is really bad.

religion brings morals i wont deny. but we can substitute that with ease. we are still used to religion and the normality of morals brought by it. but if we adjust to that we'd be fine. we just get our morals elsewhere. IE, school. which has to adopt the fact that it has to care about morals too. then we'd all be fine.

dont tell me i dont understand religion cause im atheist. i am an ex-believer and fully understand what religion wants and i know the bible doesnt speak of evil. but the thing called a pope does, as does the vatican. i see it as evil. IF there is religion at all it should be free of a central governing and be free for interpretation. its the quintessence of the Ori storyline. its always the leaders that provoke the in-my-eyes evil

Comment

Is that a yes or a no?
                      Does religion and war obscure the light of the stars and make it impossible for us to see an entire galaxy in full view or has this discussion gone slightly off topic?
                      Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
                      Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

Yes, you can see galaxies with the naked eye when in space.

Comment

Working...
                        X