Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was the Weapon Platform in Antarctica needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
    I think Ziel got it right.
    i doubt they were paranoid.
    i just think the ancients were smart enough to be better safe then sorry sort of thing.
    it's better to have the defences with no enemies just in case!
    if the were, then they would not have been killed by the - stupid (they have not evolved further or cured their feeding drive etc.) - wraith...-.-

as for the drones, it was a left over after they ascended (i am sure there was more of their tech on earth but they removed it/hid it so that we would not that easily find it....they removed it, but they did not remove their misstakes in pegasus...my dislike grows)

greetings LAX

Comment

well, i don't think they removed their things in the MW. well, possibly after they returned from PG, but they left MW milions of years ago. what hasn't been destroyed by time has probably been looted, most likely by goa'uld.
      sigpic

Spoiler:
      Originally posted by IMDB
      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
      Hehe

Comment

They most probably used the chair for a wide variaty of things, not just to launch the drones

and they more than likely put the drones there with a big sign saying "Use in case of emergency" above it

and yes i know people have said these things over and over,

but they just had the drones on there planets there as a defence against anything that might have been out there

OR more likely

they put the drones there when they were still exploring the MW galexy (When they were evolving or something)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mc Hank View Post
          Why was the Weapon Platform in Antarctica needed? before i get attacked with people saying it was for planetary defence, who was it defending against. did the Ancients have any enemies in the Milky Way. the Goa'uld were still swimming around on P3x-888. the Nox, Asgard and Furlings were their allies. who else would have posed a threat to the Ancients. the Ori didn't know were they were.

could it be standard procedure to set up defense on all Ancient worlds. if so should every planet have some sort of drone weapons storage. then you would have an unlimited supply of drones just waiting to be found along with Possible ZPM's.
          The Ancients had a very extended stay in the Milky Way, some 40 million years. That's a huge time span over which many events could have occurred, some requiring defenses like the drone weapons--events that, of course, are now long lost to both history and memory.

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
          I would like to note that I don't think we've been told when the Antarctic chair was built. I would guess it was before Atlantis left and was a docking port for Atlantis, but it may have been later than that.
          The drones themselves were built in the Milky Way. This was confirmed by Joe Mallozzi in answer to a question in a recent blog of his. I would assume this would apply to the chair as well.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Ok, we seemed to be all agreed that the Weapons Platform was built as a defence against the unknown. surly then all Ancient worlds would have this or other type of planetary defence. Not all planets would have been looted, do you think there is still vast amounts of ancient tech and cool gear waiting to be found

Comment

Ok, we seemed to be all agreed that the Weapons Platform was built as a defence against the unknown. surly then all Ancient worlds would have this or other type of planetary defence. Not all planets would have been looted, do you think there is still vast amounts of ancient tech and cool gear waiting to be found
              That would seem reasonable. The Goa'uld got some of the technology, but none of the drones. One of the problems in finding more, of course, is the time span of millions of years. Any planet's changing geology would be enough to bury an Ancient city or an outpost underneath a mountain range or an icefield, or sink them to the bottom of an ocean. Nevertheless I'd like to think some more remnants of the Ancients MW civilization is still out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                That would seem reasonable. The Goa'uld got some of the technology, but none of the drones. One of the problems in finding more, of course, is the time span of millions of years. Any planet's changing geology would be enough to bury an Ancient city or an outpost underneath a mountain range or an icefield, or sink them to the bottom of an ocean. Nevertheless I'd like to think some more remnants of the Ancients MW civilization is still out there.

Agreed I'd like to see more of the Ancients' MW civilizations and structres.
                Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                  It's relatively massive compared to Britain though, you even have stealth warships. When was the last time that Sweden needed an armed forces?
                  talk about going off subject

Comment

Well we assume that Atlantis was built on Earth, so perhaps Earth was a major world in Ancient time. It could have been from other threats; perhaps before the alliance was forged the Furlings could have been an enemy?

The drone weapons could have been used against meteors?

sigpic

Comment

Drones seemed to work really well against that asteroid field in Lifeline.
                      Our solar system as most will know is littered with asteroids and other cosmic stuff left over from the creation of the solar system so it wouldn't be all that far fetched for the Ancients to create a means to stop them from impacting the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                        Our solar system as most will know is littered with asteroids and other cosmic stuff left over from the creation of the solar system so it wouldn't be all that far fetched for the Ancients to create a means to stop them from impacting the planet.
                        True enough, but is it sci-fi enough?
                        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
                          True enough, but is it sci-fi enough?
                          Well I guess the Ancients could have had an enemy back here in the Milky Way many years before they left for Pegasus that necessitated the need to develop an uber powerful weapon system like Drone technology.
                          Blowing up huge space stuff with tiny, little weapons seems pretty sci-fi too me though.

The truth is Drones have many possible uses so IMO the Ancients most likely developed them as a multipurpose precaution against many possible things happening.

Comment

But To create a huge weapon system so you could play a real life version of Asteroids. They could have extended the shield around the planet to stop asteroids. I would like to see what the Ancients got up to in the Milky Way before they left. See if they had any enemy's, what advances they made. finally see what smart Ancients were like, unlike the dumbed down ones in Pegasus.

Comment

Well I guess the Ancients could have had an enemy back here in the Milky Way many years before they left for Pegasus that necessitated the need to develop an uber powerful weapon system like Drone technology.<snip>

The truth is Drones have many possible uses so IMO the Ancients most likely developed them as a multipurpose precaution against many possible things happening.
                              And I think that's probably the best possible answer. Millions and millions of years after all. If the Ancients arrived on Earth 50 million years ago that's only 15 million years ("only" he says) after the K2 event that wiped out the dinosaurs. Whether any residual effects of that event would have still been evident to the Ancients after their arrival I can't say, but it would certainly serve to demonstrate the need for readiness in the event of another impact (which come to think of hasn't occured on that magnitude since.) As for enemies over that time span, yes, all kinds of possibilities. But getting back to asteroids. . .

But To create a huge weapon system so you could play a real life version of Asteroids. They could have extended the shield around the planet to stop asteroids. I would like to see what the Ancients got up to in the Milky Way before they left. See if they had any enemy's, what advances they made. finally see what smart Ancients were like, unlike the dumbed down ones in Pegasus.
                              I think you'd all find that a "real life" version of Asteroids to be somewhat boring. Asteroids belts aren't as densely packed together like we saw in "Lifeline", a sequence which I found somewhat hokey, possibly borrowed from Star Wars. NASA has sent several unmanned spacecraft through our own asteroid belt to the outer solar system without ever passing near an asteroid and you could probably send the Daedalus, Odyssey, and the General Hammond through side by side with ever making a contact. Excerpting from Wikipedia:

Contrary to popular imagery, the asteroid belt is mostly empty. The asteroids are spread over such a large volume that it would be highly improbable to reach an asteroid without aiming carefully. Nonetheless, hundreds of thousands of asteroids are currently known, and the total number ranges in the millions or more, depending on the lower size cutoff. . . .
                              . . .The total mass of the asteroid belt is estimated to be [about] 4% of the Earth's Moon. . . .
                              Same applies to the Kuiper belt beyond Neptune. And one of the Voyager spacecraft actually passed through the rings of Saturn without contacting any of the fragments that make up the rings.

OK, back to playing Asteroids.

Comment

1st that would be epic lol

Also they seeded the galexy with human life, so they were more than likely conducting experiments like Atlantis Season Three, The Game and conducting other experiments like that.

Basically they more than likely just started doing loads of experiments and stuff like that lol
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X