Will it ALWAYS be sci-fi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek did not invent anti-matter.
    The teleporter doesn't teleport matter, it teleports information.
    The walky-talky predates Star Trek and is the basis for mobile communicators.

A very small number of ideas from sci-fi are applicable in the real world, most of these are extensions of existing technology. Sic-fi very rarely predicts a possible technology before anyone has begun work on it.

Comment

Teliportation is and most likely always be impossible because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principal. FTL drive, directed energy weapons, energy shields, and battle ship starships will most likely all be realized within the next 100 years or so ( as long as cuts in scientific studieds stop) but teliportation of matter is as likely as Aliens invading the second after you read this post
      sigpic
      Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
      STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

FTL is just as unlikely as teleportation.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
          At no, simply because we have some many loop holes in the no faster than like rule one of them bound to hit home .

Heisenberg uncertainty principal, one tough law to crack and I seen no one explain a way round that.

Comment

Current Science says not possible, but ask me again in 150 years. ;-)
            sigpic

Comment

there are quite a few loop holes in faster than light travel making it only a moatter of time befor we can exploit one of them wether it be a warp drive, quantum tunnling or a heim Hyperdrive I don't know( My bet is quantum tunnling or Heim drive). Teliportation of matter on the other hand is not even scientificly possible and breaks several laws of physics.
              sigpic
              STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

You know its interesting. If we discover a way to travel faster then light or get around the glaxie some how that is practical it will open up so many things and places for use to study, learn and live on. But if we find out its impossible Its not a bad thing because in the process of trying to find away to do it we may discover other things that are amazing and could help use, and it will teach use that our planet is special and we should protect it from our selve because we may not be able to go anywhere elese. Stephen Hawking said that even if its impossible finding a way to go faster then light is worht a try, because at least we can say we tried.
                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

That was my point. According to science FTL and human teleportation are unlikely but not necessarily impossible, so you can't rule out research in either field, but you should spend research budgets wisely so that you're not always chasing the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
                    Hellium 3 is one of the most fuisable materials knowns to man and a gram of refinded Hellium 3 (don't ask me were we would ever get that much because that I do not know) superheated to temperatures rivaling the sun would creat an explosion rivaling that of our most powerful thermonuclear devices. plus even if DARPAs plan to make it a nuclear laser weapon fails there is still the fact that it could be a very powerful laser beam capable of cutting through an enemy fleet of ships like they'er butter.
                    One thing I would like to note though is that the plasma beam weapon in stargate is highly unlikly because unless it is beingheld in shape by a magnetic field plasma tends to bloom and the beam would lose its affectivness, thats why the original blobs of plasma fired at a fast speed are more believeable and more importantly more achiveable.
                    you do know helium 3 really doesn't exist on earth because the magnetic field deflects it, the only close source of helium 3 is the moon, and for the last time DARPA HAS NO PLAN TO BUILD A NUCLEAR LASER, THE IDEA OF A SPACE LASER THAT CAUSES A THERMONUCLEAR REACTION IS BEYOND STUPID, and the NIF is a pulse laser so it wouldn't be able to cut much, and it takes up about 2 warehouse sized buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
                      you do know helium 3 really doesn't exist on earth because the magnetic field deflects it, the only close source of helium 3 is the moon, and for the last time DARPA HAS NO PLAN TO BUILD A NUCLEAR LASER, THE IDEA OF A SPACE LASER THAT CAUSES A THERMONUCLEAR REACTION IS BEYOND STUPID, and the NIF is a pulse laser so it wouldn't be able to cut much, and it takes up about 2 warehouse sized buildings.
                      Of course I know that Hellium 3 is not found on earth.... What do you think I am 10 years old. Isaid I didn't know how we would get it I never said I don't know were we would get it.I hate to disagree with but they do plan on using tech being developed for the NIF to create a space weapon ( maybe not a nuke laser if it doesn't pan out) but a super weapon none the less. What do I keep say laser technology continues to get smaller an more powerful over time I never said we would have a laser platform up there next week or even next year I said within the next hundred years. so by then it probably won't be the size of two warehouses.

P.S. Please don't call me stupid I have yet to degrade you.
                      sigpic
                      STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Of course I know that Hellium 3 is not found on earth.... What do you think I am 10 years old. Isaid I didn't know how we would get it I never said I don't know were we would get it.I hate to disagree with but they do plan on using tech being developed for the NIF to create a space weapon ( maybe not a nuke laser if it doesn't pan out) but a super weapon none the less. What do I keep say laser technology continues to get smaller an more powerful over time I never said we would have a laser platform up there next week or even next year I said within the next hundred years. so by then it probably won't be the size of two warehouses.

Dosnt Jupiter have a lot of Helium 3?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                          Dosnt Jupiter have a lot of Helium 3?
                          If it does it would still be easyer to get it from the moon.
                          sigpic
                          STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

If it does it would still be easyer to get it from the moon.
                            I think it might.

Comment

I'm not calling you stupid, just the idea and the fact that everyone takes it serriously, I'm not even calling a space laser stupid, it's the thermonuclear fusion laser that's dumb, DARPA's not even funding the NIF it's the Department of Energy, so no super weapons, the NIF actually depends upon DARPA's research for better lasers not the other way around, the goal of the NIF is to create inertial fusion power plants, the NIF is in my opinion the best bet for future fusion power seeing how it's proof of concept experiment is supposed to generate 10 times more power than put in, while Europe's ITER won't even break even till 2030 if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
                                I'm not calling you stupid, just the idea and the fact that everyone takes it serriously, I'm not even calling a space laser stupid, it's the thermonuclear fusion laser that's dumb, DARPA's not even funding the NIF it's the Department of Energy, so no super weapons, the NIF actually depends upon DARPA's research for better lasers not the other way around, the goal of the NIF is to create inertial fusion power plants, the NIF is in my opinion the best bet for future fusion power seeing how it's proof of concept experiment is supposed to generate 10 times more power than put in, while Europe's ITER won't even break even till 2030 if at all.
                                I could have sworn that DARPA was offering at least part of the funding, I thought I read it in "Physics of the Impossible" I'll check that again. Also I know that It is to big now but would it be possible that in a hundred years or so would a NIF laser like power plant inside a starcraft be cappable of using fusion to create a plasma pulse engine like the one theorized for the europeans abandoned project Daedalus?
                                sigpic
                                STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Working...
                                X