The Ancient Chair on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
    I don't really get why they had to move the chair anyway. It was in violation of some treaty, why not make a loophole in that treaty to account for the Ancient chair? It seems more reasonable to do that and put it under control of the IOA than to just hand over the most powerful weapon on Earth to the U.S. military.
    The loophole would be for the legal minds to convince all parties that the Ancients' chair is nothing more than a fancy piece of furniture built by the Ancients and removing it from the outpost would be the equivalent of desecrating a heritage site. Then convince them that the fact the chair can be used to launch those nasty drones, is just incidental.

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    Once the treaty was agreed upon by all parties they can't just make holes in it.
    Yeah, that's the part I don't quite get. It's against the treaty to keep the chair there but it's okay to keep the drones. Sorta like saying get the gun out of here but let the bullets stay behind. Sounds like bureaucracy at work.
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
      <SNIP>
      Yeah, that's the part I don't quite get. It's against the treaty to keep the chair there but it's okay to keep the drones. Sorta like saying get the gun out of here but let the bullets stay behind. Sounds like bureaucracy at work.
      Maybe whatever committee decided to move the chair agreed that it was OK to move the trigger, but keep the actual weapons in Antarctica, the actual outpost was certainly not at Area 51, unless it was in an underground hanger, but I doubt it.
      Still that doesn't make sense as it would still be a military outpost, unless the firing mechanism was extracted from the outpost and moved along with the chair, which may not take up that much space.
      We also saw in Rising that the Drones contain all the tech to be activated within them (when Becket accidentally activated one and almost shot down O'Neill and Sheppard on their way to the out post), as long as the chair itself has enough power it can control the Drones.
      Perhaps they just moved the Drones and Chair to Area 51 and housed them in a convenient location within the base so that they could be used at a moments notice and Area 51 could have more people with the ATA gene at any one time than anywhere else in the world.

Once the Drones and chair were extracted from the outpost maybe the facility could be studied as a science base rather than a military one.

Comment

Still I can't see other nations agreeing to give the chair to the U.S. military.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

hence the sun tzu...

sigpic

Comment

they should have given it to CERN. they both neutral and probably the most advanced research facility on earth.
            sigpic

Spoiler:
            Originally posted by IMDB
            Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
            Hehe

Comment

Stargate is based around the American military, mainly the air force, so the chair was always going to be under US military control.

sigpic

Comment

the show, yes. but the IOA, who control the stargate program, is a international organisation.
                sigpic

Spoiler:
                Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                Hehe

Comment

The US found the chair and is the only nation capable of defending the Earth against it's enemies, so why shouldn't they have possession of the alien weapons?
                  They've shown themselves to be trustworthy since revealing the Stargate program to the other nations and they've cleaned up the dangers they've created and that have come back to Earth.
                  They've had the power to wipe every other nation from the planet's surface for years, so having something that can do it slightly more efficiently shouldn't be more of a worry to the rest of the world IMO.

Nations other than the US should be patient, the US should of course start to teach the rest of the world about the technologies it's gleamed from the Stargate program and off world exploration.
                  Eventually everyone will be on a level footing, but that can't happen over night and without taking the right steps to get there.
                  Giving another nation or nations the chair would be stupid IMO and especially when they are as powerful as the Drones or the Asgard's beam weapons for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                    The US found the chair and is the only nation capable of defending the Earth against it's enemies, so why shouldn't they have possession of the alien weapons?
                    They've shown themselves to be trustworthy since revealing the Stargate program to the other nations and they've cleaned up the dangers they've created and that have come back to Earth.
                    They've had the power to wipe every other nation from the planet's surface for years, so having something that can do it slightly more efficiently shouldn't be more of a worry to the rest of the world IMO.

Nations other than the US should be patient, the US should of course start to teach the rest of the world about the technologies it's gleamed from the Stargate program and off world exploration.
                    Eventually everyone will be on a level footing, but that can't happen over night and without taking the right steps to get there.
                    Giving another nation or nations the chair would be stupid IMO and especially when they are as powerful as the Drones or the Asgard's beam weapons for that matter.
                    Exactly!

sigpic

Comment

that does make sense. but still, a partnership with CERN when it comes to reverse engineering and RnD of ancient/asgard tech would be smart.
                      Last edited by tjoflojt; 15 January 2009, 09:35 AM.
                      sigpic

Spoiler:
                      Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                        Exactly!
                        I'm glad you agree, I thought some people may think I was going too far, but the US has the experience so they can hand the knowledge down and protect the public from some terrible disaster happening before we start to all exist as 'The Fifth Race, TBO we as an entire race aren't really there yet as far as working together and race wide morals.

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                        that does make sence. but still, a partnership with CERN when it comes to reverse engineering and RnD of ancient/asgard tech would be smart.
                        Cheers.
                        A partnership with each race within the IOA and say getting the best and brightest from all over the world to come together, back up the Asgard knowledge base a few times (for safety) and have everyone work together can only be a good thing as it enables trust to be developed between every nation.
                        Whoever the best at science and technology stuff is should be working on the most advanced technologies to get them into the public domain and start improving everything, the same goes for whoever controls the weapons, ships and whatever else we've got.

Comment

btw, if new tech started poping out from CERN, no-one would think it's strange.
                          sigpic

Spoiler:
                          Hehe

Comment

the show, yes. but the IOA, who control the stargate program, is a international organisation.
                            They control the stargate up to the point their interests conflict with Americas interests.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                              a good idea. but with soon 5 ships in service, and production putting one out every year or so, I bet they don't.

What gets me is how are they going to explain to the world now they not only has the UASF been sending people into deep space, and other worlds, but has a fleet of interstellar warships?

Talk about a revolt waiting to happen
                              It'll happen. With that many personelle beeing assigned to man those ships it is bound to get out. Remember the Stealth Fighter? Talk about one of the worst kept secrets! There were actually models of the thing out years before the military came clean about it.

Comment

btw, if new tech started poping out from CERN, no-one would think it's strange.
                                It all depends just how new and advanced that technology is.
                                You can't just start making Asgard cores and give one to every person on the planet (bit over the top I know but you get the idea).
                                If you could rap some of the new stuff up in a slightly more high tech package than what's already out there then it's not gonna be questioned by anyone, but if they were to bring out transporters, matter converters, hyperdrive travel, etc, without disclosing the truth then I think people would think it's a bot strange and way beyond what our Human race should be able to make.

Comment

Working...
                                X