• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
    That's what I thought for a while after learning of the ATA gene until
    (Spoilers for season 10 of SG-1)
    Spoiler:
    The Quest, when Daniel used a similar device left by Merlin
    I don't remember for sure but has it actually been said that Daniel doesn't have the ATA gene?
    It's possible that Merlin programmed that device to accept a regular Human and the ATA gene wasn't needed to use that device, after all what were the chances of just any old Goauld finding the device and have just any regular Human slaves from using the tech and teaching them everything they discovered from the Ancient knowledge base?

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
      I don't remember for sure but has it actually been said that Daniel doesn't have the ATA gene?
      It was implied in "It's Good to be King," when they had to bring in Jack to activate the Time Jumper.

It's possible that Merlin programmed that device to accept a regular Human and the ATA gene wasn't needed to use that device, after all what were the chances of just any old Goauld finding the device and have just any regular Human slaves from using the tech and teaching them everything they discovered from the Ancient knowledge base?
      Yes, but we do not know why ATA is necessary for the use of certain technologies. The way it was described in "Hide and Seek," I got the impression that ATA was the equivalent of "fingers" for Ancient neural interface technology (that is to say, much in the same way a keyboard assumes the user has fingers, so too does Ancient technology assume the user has ATA). If this is the case, then the only way Merlin's face device could interface with someone without ATA would be to actually give them the gene.

This, as we saw in "The Tao of Rodney," is not outside the realm of possibility.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Yes in ''It's Good to be King''
        It's possible that Merlin programmed that device to accept a regular Human and the ATA gene wasn't needed to use that device,
        It isn't impossible for that to be the case
        after all what were the chances of just any old Goauld finding the device and have just any regular Human slaves from using the tech and teaching them everything they discovered from the Ancient knowledge base?
        The only problem that I can see there is the Goa'uld may not what to be reliant on their human slaves/worshippers.
        It could also be hard for the ''I am a God'' thing if they need a slave/worshipper for info.

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        This, as we saw in "The Tao of Rodney," is not outside the realm of possibility.
        McKay already had the ATA gene from the gene therapy. Did he not?
        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
          McKay already had the ATA gene from the gene therapy. Did he not?
          True, but that was not my point: the Ancients had at least one device prior to their Ascension that could zap someone and change their DNA. There is no reason to assume that they did not improve the technology once they ascended.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            True, but that was not my point: the Ancients had at least one device prior to their Ascension that could zap someone and change their DNA. There is no reason to assume that they did not improve the technology once they ascended.
            Sorry I completely misunderstood you.
            That's a fair point actually.
            Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Working...
            X