Stargate Chevrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    ...okay, think about what you're saying. The superhive has a ZPM, and it's plugged into the ship's power generators. We have no evidence that the stargate or DHD was plugged into the ship... and therefore no evidence that the stargate onboard has anywhere near the power needed to dial another galaxy. McKay would still have to either reroute power from the ship's primary systems to the 'gate (and he'd need to hook the two up beforehand) or recalibrate the DHD to use the Milky Way coordinate network. Either way, it'd take time, and the plan they used would just take far less, so it's the only one that makes sense.
    So effectively, it comes down to a question of whether the Stargate was hooked into the ship's power gird. If it wasn't, then my objection to Phoenix786's position is not impossible. If it was, then it is.

Of course, the reason that I had to cite that episode is because it is the only time that it has ever even come close to coming up.

Nevertheless, Phoenix786's position does raise some interesting questions: for example, if you have a Pegasus Stargate in the Milky Way, do Milky Way 'Gates have to use the eighth chevron to contact that 'gate (it is, after all, part of another network)? If so, what does that address mean?
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      So effectively, it comes down to a question of whether the Stargate was hooked into the ship's power gird. If it wasn't, then my objection to Phoenix786's position is not impossible. If it was, then it is.

Of course, the reason that I had to cite that episode is because it is the only time that it has ever even come close to coming up.

Nevertheless, Phoenix786's position does raise some interesting questions: for example, if you have a Pegasus Stargate in the Milky Way, do Milky Way 'Gates have to use the eighth chevron to contact that 'gate (it is, after all, part of another network)? If so, what does that address mean?
      No, as we know from "Rising, Part 1," the eight chevron instructs the stargate being used to look for a point outside the current galaxy. So using an eight symbol address to dial inside the Milky Way from, say, Earth, wouldn't work. It would dial up a planet in Pegasus that had the same address plus one glyph.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Loki1982 View Post
        So after the established 7 Chevrons we were introduced to the 8th Chevron that acts like an area code. But I thought the 9th Chevron should act as a Place in time so that you'd be able to travel through different time periods. I think the Stargate Franchise explanation of the 9th Chevron (To get to the ship Destiny) isn't that plausible. In the first season SG1 was able to gate to a ship with only 7 Chevrons. Additionally if the ship was in another galaxy you'd only need 8.
        no i reacon that the 9th is for dialing say 4 galaxies away.
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          No, as we know from "Rising, Part 1," the eight chevron instructs the stargate being used to look for a point outside the current galaxy. So using an eight symbol address to dial inside the Milky Way from, say, Earth, wouldn't work. It would dial up a planet in Pegasus that had the same address plus one glyph.
          So can I consider Phoenix786's position thoroughly debunked?

In any case, just exactly how much do we know about how eight-chevron addresses, and the eighth chevron in particular, work? Does the eighth chevron define a galaxy, or a distance? Does each eight-chevron address represent a planet, like a seven-chevron address, a whole galaxy, or somewhere in between. Do any eight-chevron addresses fall between galaxies?

Originally posted by Lord Excalibar View Post
          no i reacon that the 9th is for dialing say 4 galaxies away.
          1. Your spelling, punctuation, and capitalization are horrible.
          2. You have not added anything to the conversation, merely repeating what has already been said.
          3. Your post is barely a single sentence.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

1.i was stating my poinion
            2. spelling and punctuation doesnt matter here
            3.i dont care if u dont like wat i sed.

Spoiler:

Comment

1.i was stating my poinion
              And if you had read a little lower on the page before posting, you would see that, to an extent, I share your opinion. More importantly, you would see why I share your opinion.

2. spelling and punctuation doesnt matter here
              Spelling and punctuation always matter, if only to make our posts readable.

3.i dont care if u dont like wat i sed.
              Actually, I agree with you...to an extent. I mean, you cannot actually dial "4 galaxies away" because a galaxy is not a unit of distance, but the principle is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Excalibar
                by the way how do u no u cant dial 4 galaxies away?
                You cannot dial "4 galaxies away" because the term is meaningless, or at least incredibly vague. A galaxy is not a unit of distance, it is a massive cluster of stars. Saying "4 galaxies away" is like saying "4 towns away" with one major difference: towns would be along roads, so "4 towns away" could be translated to "in the fourth town along this road." However, no such roads exist in space.

In any case, we seem to agree on the same basic premise for the ninth chevron, namely that it is for dialing extremely distant Stargates.

Comment

this is one of the very, very few things that i ask for proof on.

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                  X