nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wise one View Post
    didnt the people from the ark have nuclear bombs that they used on their own people to make sure the wraith wouldnt come to their planet

thye were able to sustain their whole race in a single dart buffer
    No, it was two buffers and they didn't even work properly........

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
    Nukes are not basic tech. In any way shape of form. You need quite an advanced understanding of physics, uranium and a way to enrich it.

You can't 'just pick up uranium like any other rock' this indicates a complete lack of comprehension of geology and mining processes.
    Well said! Does that mean I was right? 'its no where near that easy'......?

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    not to mention the need of advanced refinery processes, c4 isnt made by medieval people, and the very understanding of matter as we do has come a LONG way. we made a hypothesis of matter 2000 years ago and further back, but most of it wasnt proven untill "recently". 100 years ago radiation was discovered, and 50 years ago we had the first nuke. seeing as most races have to come some 2000 years to catch up with us, we're safe
    So i was right?

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
    no fusion is easy to produce it's just as of now it takes more energy to create fusion than we can draw out of the process, there are tabletop devices that produce fusion
    I was thinking of cold fusion. My bad

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
    oxygen is thin air, that's the joke
    And what a bad one it was

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    Bacteria or bluegreen algea (the common term for cyanobacteria) evolved after water. Water is what eroded and perculated thru those deposits, increasing the reactivity of those piles enough for a chain reaction. Bacteria and/or oxygen don't emit thermal nuetrons, don't moderate fast nuetrons, don't affect the natural tendency of spontaneous fission.
    And to have water.....you need oxygen. So bacteria didn't do it all. Meridth medal to morrismike, methinks.
    sigpic
    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

garrowon
      1. No such thing as cold fusion. Protons repulse each each and all nuclei contain at least one proton. It takes enormous kinetic energy to get nuclei close enough for the strong force to overcome the electrostatic repulsion between nuclei. Needless to say the impartation of this kinetic energy involves a "hot" process. The cold fusion stuff going on in utah or whereever was a total scam. If cold fusion occurs the nuetrons released from even a single btu of heat would involve a lethal release of fast nuetrons unless massive walls of water were using to thermalize them.
      2. Oxygen has always existed on earth as there is no fusion process that has ever occurred to allow for the formation on this on the planet. That being said, most of the water on this planet is from gravitational capture of ice or ice encrusted rocks wizzing thru the solar system along with water captured during the initial aggregation of material from which the planet formed.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        and if nukes were that easy to make..... why didnt we figure it out 2000 years ago?
        because our knowledge of physics hadn't advanced to that point, it's hard to know how to make them but making them once you know how is very easy, the only thing hard about making a nuclear bomb is refining the uranium.

Fun Fact: you can build a nuclear bomb out of smoke detectors (you'd need about 30 billion though)

Comment

garrowon
          1. No such thing as cold fusion. Protons repulse each each and all nuclei contain at least one proton. It takes enormous kinetic energy to get nuclei close enough for the strong force to overcome the electrostatic repulsion between nuclei. Needless to say the impartation of this kinetic energy involves a "hot" process. The cold fusion stuff going on in utah or whereever was a total scam. If cold fusion occurs the nuetrons released from even a single btu of heat would involve a lethal release of fast nuetrons unless massive walls of water were using to thermalize them.
          Cold fusion is a fact in Stargate.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

garrowon
            muon-catalized fusion occurs at room temperature

Comment

rubberjesus
              Americanium is what's in smoke detectors and it doesn't fission.

Muon catalized fusion - what a joke. Show me one bit of evidence of a muon catalized fusion being self sustaining and producing net cold fusion.

Mr O
              cold fusion in sg? I've got every episode please refresh me (the cloners aren't cold fusion).

Comment

rubberjesus

Muon catalized fusion - what a joke. Show me one bit of evidence of a muon catalized fusion being self sustaining and producing net cold fusion.

Mr O
                cold fusion in sg? I've got every episode please refresh me (the cloners aren't cold fusion).
                It was an early SG1 episode called "Prisioners" where the team gets put in prision with the 'destroyer of worlds' lady.

Comment

If that is your logic then bacteria is responsible for everything. You can return to the back of the class, the corner is too good for the likes of you.
                  No, it's just a question of how far you go back down the chain. There's tons of things involved in the creation of a computer, I don't consider the people who mined the ore that is eventually used in a computer to be responsible for the creation of the computer because it's too far back on the chain. How far back the chain is the bacteria that was responsible for the oxygen which was needed to dissolve the uranium in the rocks? It was 1.8 billion years ago, the only thing producing oxygen was bacteria. Anything reaction that needed oxygen back then relied on bacteria so bacteria were essentially responsible for everything back then.

Comment

The three things you need to build a nuke:
                    Fissionable material (Uranium is usable, native element. Plutonium is best, non-native element). You do not need to know it is fissionable or how fission work for this, you just need to refine it and your unlikely to come across the refining process by accident.
                    Critical mass. You don't need to know why it's a critical mass, just how to calculate it, this could be done do to trial and error (just think of the poor bloke that could've discovered it this way).
                    Detonation system. A bullet system is easy to invent if you have the other two. An implosion system takes considerable development.

So if you were refining something that contained uranium, you could've got a weapons grade source. If you then dumped the uranium as a by-product, you could've come across the concept of nuclear fission without knowing what it was. You'd then need to spend some time working out how to blow the uranium up, which means learning the concept of critical mass. It is possible to develop the old style nukes by accident without knowing nuclear physics, but it is very unlikely and most of the discoverers would likely die before they worked out what happened.

Comment

2. Oxygen has always existed on earth as there is no fusion process that has ever occurred to allow for the formation on this on the planet. That being said, most of the water on this planet is from gravitational capture of ice or ice encrusted rocks wizzing thru the solar system along with water captured during the initial aggregation of material from which the planet formed.
                      I believe I was agreeing with u on this one...........
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

the matter from our planet comes from annother star wich exploded, but not before hydrogen fused far up to iron, with radiation taking care of the higher elements.

so actually, that fission came from fusion of annother star. just as it is responsible for everything on our planet.'

now can we cut that crap

nuclear fission happened underground, bacteria had NOTHING, and absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Comment

rubberjesus

Mr O
                          Actually americium does "fission", its critical mass is about 60 kg

muon catalyzed fusion it isn't self sustaining but it is still cold fusion, I believe you have some misconceptions about fusion, fusion is the fusing of two atomic nuclei, it does not need to produce a net energy output to be nuclear fusion, so saying something doesn't produce "net cold fusion" doesn't really make sense, cold fusion doesn't produce a net energy output but it does exist.

Comment

Everything can go through fission/fusion under the right conditions, whether they give out more energy they take in comes from the following graph:

More energy is released as you go towards the top of the graph, fission goes from right to left and fusion goes from left to right. Every nucleus in the universe started out as a collection of hydrogen nuclei that fused together.

Comment

Rubberjesus
                              Has 60 kg of Americanium ever been used to create a critical reaction? Has 60 kg of Americanium ever been isolated from spent fuel?

Your muon catalyzed fusion is more like a battery because it takes 5Gev of electrical energy input (cost of a muon) to create 5Mev of thermal energy. This is an interesting scientific theory but not practical and possibly never really proven to even occur outside of theory.

Comment

cold fusion is known as chemical catalyzed fusion. it may work, but we dont know the conditions under which it is optimal, we dont know how it works and why it works, and why it so far has only occured once. just because the scientific world didnt accept it as true doesnt mean it

Comment

Working...
                                X