could Earth adapt Traveler's energy weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    the guns on their ship. i made a Traveller cruiser, but my computer is calculating the geometry (for renders) for over 15 minutes now.
    That will be cool, are you gonna post it on Gateworld?

At least your computer doesn't crash when trying to use rendering software, when I tried using Blender it crashed my computer after only a few minutes of being open and I didn't even try to render anything.
    I think I'll have to invest in a new one at some point as I've had mine since something like 2005, I'm thinking about a gaming PC as the extra processing power from a dedicated graphics card and some decent RAM could actually let me use the software and make something.

Comment

well i use Podium [in-sketchup rendering].

i had just ONE render since my last post, and it didnt show a thing.

and yea, its for the Traveller warship voting in the AUF.

EDIT: (gunless earlier version)
      Spoiler:

Last edited by thekillman; 16 January 2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        I didn't mean in a tactical sense, but as far as the story may have gone having the Travelers and maybe The Lost Tribe as the actual attackers would have been a better way to go.
        Spoiler:
        TPTB should have saved something like the Hive for a future movie, where they could spread things out a bit, add in some more battles, or one mother of all Wraith attacking Earth and everything Earth has to offer battle, with some actual sci-fi realism instead of just Earth nearly getting creamed again.
        It's about time Earth had some defenses they'd made themselves other than the ships and 302s.

The USAF definitely suck, they are abysmal (using Firefox and that seems to agree with it's auto-spell checker ) and anyone who's had the tech they've had for two years should be able to string together something that could help Earth in their 'tough' times.
        At the risk of annoying MjrV11 or whatever, so true.

Spoiler:

That is some nice work, dude.
        sigpic
        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
          We don't need to because we have Asgard death beams.
          which are usesless against darts/gliders or anything equaly as small (couldn't even shot down a teltak/alkesh with them as i take it, otherwise railguns/energy weapons (in the episode with the joint fleet attacking the replicators alls the 304's used pulsed energy weapons in addition to the beams....i am asking myself: Why only their???)

and yes i agree an energy based weapon would be better for the ships then the railguns (once the ammo is gone, how do you destroy fighters? ram them? ignore them?) even more as small energy weapons on summ can punch holes in bigger ships as well (the beams can not fire at anything at the same time, so why not use other means to "soften up" the target first? even more if they are as effective as the traveller ones

so i like the idea (maybe i borrow it for fanfiction ....if i ever get to writing the bunny that's laughing like a maniac in my head....)

greetings LAX

Comment

Spoiler:

Nice work on the pic dude.

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
            which are usesless against darts/gliders or anything equaly as small (couldn't even shot down a teltak/alkesh with them as i take it, otherwise railguns/energy weapons (in the episode with the joint fleet attacking the replicators alls the 304's used pulsed energy weapons in addition to the beams....i am asking myself: Why only their???)
            The episode that you're thinking of was Be All My Sins Remembered and the 304's were using the Rail guns when they came out of hyperspace, before the Replicators were able to get their shields up.
            The only energy weapons the 304s have are the Asgard's plasma beam weapons.

and yes i agree an energy based weapon would be better for the ships then the railguns (once the ammo is gone, how do you destroy fighters? ram them? ignore them?) even more as small energy weapons on summ can punch holes in bigger ships as well (the beams can not fire at anything at the same time, so why not use other means to "soften up" the target first? even more if they are as effective as the traveller ones

so i like the idea (maybe i borrow it for fanfiction ....if i ever get to writing the bunny that's laughing like a maniac in my head....)

greetings LAX

With Earth having access to the Matter Converters they could just fabricate more Rail Gun rounds on board ship and the transporters only really ever fail when a ship is about to die, but I think they carry a pretty large stock pile of shells to take on Darts and they no longer use them as their primary weapons against bigger enemy ships, so it's less likely that they'll run out in battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
              Nice work on the pic dude.

The episode that you're thinking of was Be All My Sins Remembered and the 304's were using the Rail guns when they came out of hyperspace, before the Replicators were able to get their shields up.
              The only energy weapons the 304s have are the Asgard's plasma beam weapons.

Why does everybody seem to think that? They've used railguns for several series before hand, and they've always looked like that, so why would they suddenly be energy wpns??????
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                Why does everybody seem to think that? They've used railguns for several series before hand, and they've always looked like that, so why would they suddenly be energy wpns??????
                Isn't the look of the shells down to massive heat as they come out of the barrel, after being accelerated to speeds of something like Mach 10 (not sure exactly how fast that is, so if you know please enlighten me)?
                God only knows and the rail guns could know have almost infinite ammo due to my friends the matter converters.

Rail guns are really the perfect point defense weapon as they can take out a hole bunch of Darts, the only replacement I think Earth should have would be their own type of small, maneuverable, shielded and explosive projectile, basically a drone, which I've said to you and others about before.

Comment

use a 100mm railgun and fire Naquahdah-Potassium shells. or Shrapnell/Flak shells. see the darts drop like dead flies.

i first thought they were energy weapons too ( Lost City). i mean, glowing yellow bolts just screamed plasma cannon. the deadalus has more beam-shaped slugs ( which seems to suggest burstfire).

a railgun in some fiction IS an energy weapon. but normally its just a projectile cannon.

also, a forcefield accellerated cannon is better. but thats future tech.

a railgun generates such heat, that if you mount one on a Hummer, and you stood besides it, you would die of the heat and half the hummer would melt. the slugs arent bullets, they are bolts of molten metal.

Comment

why would a railgun generate heat? it uses magnetic fields tto accellerate the bullet, so it does consume a whole lot of power (thats why todays railguns are - at least to my knowledge - are stationed on battleship-size testplattforms because of the large generators involved)

and why the hell (just look at the footage of "Be all my sins remembered" and compare it so say: The siege (part III) and then tell me that the small weapons that are used look the same (in the siege you see the projectiles fired from Daedalus, in BAMSR you see round "balls" that glow leave the ships and not the stream like railgun fire - call me delusional, but i say that was not the same (maybe the special effects crew screwed up?).)

and for the matter converters: That was an idea carter had to get them food while in time dilation - she was desperate so she came up with it, we don't even know if they have them now, otherwise they would be pushing out 304's a hell of a lot faster (beame the parts somewhere, assemble them - even more so, they would assemble more of them at once)

but be that as it may, i am more a fan of energy-guns then projectile ones because they have much more uses (if you could change a staff-weapons setting you could cut through metal or you could weld things together. a railggun can't do that, much less a P90 or Mp5.)

greets LAX

Comment

a railgun is named after its principe: two metal rails, put a bullet inbetween and put an immense charge on the rails. the bullet flies away at high speed. the friction and immense amounts of electricity used generate heat

Comment

ronans gun (traveller design) fires a big blob of plasma, as far as i understand it. as effective as it is, it's not very accurate. the ingtars (or whatever they are called) from SG1 had more "laser rifle"-like fire, if i remember correctly. thats a incorrect term, but i hope you understad what i mean. if we were to develop energy-based rifles, that type of fire would probably be better. it allows better accurasy, and i just can't se ronans gun fire rapid fire...
                        sigpic

Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by IMDB
                        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                        Hehe

Comment

*facepalm*

Killamn, once you fixate ona subject, it takes global catastrophy to steer you away.

Those are not melted blobes, yes, their very hot, hence they glow, but if they were melted, then they would have clogged the barrel of the weapon.

Comment

Don't the Rail Gun shells have an explosive component to them?
                            Surely if they are explosive it would be too good to get too hot.

Comment

asgard pulse weapons > travelers, why bother learning theirs? We even have a asgard database with plans to their pulse weapons.
                              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                              Anime signature in spoiler tag
                              Spoiler:
                              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

ronons gun does seem to be accurate, at least to me....as for plasma:

i disagree here because then it would run out of ammo fastly (for everyshot there would be plasma needed and ronon does use the gun very often....so i'd say it's rather like a staff weapon: powered by an intern generator)

as for the issue: i would prefer something along the lines of ronons gun immensly to the other proposed things (even more as the plans for them could be procured by trading with the travelers - and then retrofitted to our needs, making a "gun" version and a larger more powerfull rifle)

greetings LAX

Comment

Working...
                                X