Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient Vessels (Spoilers for "First Contact")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Which raises the question: WHY THE HELL WAS THERE NO ONE AT THE CHAIR? I would've thought they'd keep their one defensive capability combat-ready 24/7/365. And why didn't Sheppard send someone to the chair or take it himself at the same time as he tried to summon the jumpers?
    That irked me, as well.

Not unless that form of technology involves a friend-or-foe identification system.
    Obviously it doesn't; the alien vessel wasn't a "friend" and it was able to fly right through the Atlantis shield.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      Obviously it doesn't; the alien vessel wasn't a "friend" and it was able to fly right through the Atlantis shield.
      They may have been on the "friend" status back in the old days, and the old codes still work.

Spoiler:
      Makes sense for the Asgard, as they were allies.

What DOESN'T make sense for the Asgard is the lousy personal shield, the absence of beam technology and the need for two inferior-brained beings to activate the latest Superweapon of Doom.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
        They may have been on the "friend" status back in the old days, and the old codes still work.

Spoiler:
        Makes sense for the Asgard, as they were allies.

What DOESN'T make sense for the Asgard is the lousy personal shield, the absence of beam technology and the need for two inferior-brained beings to activate the latest Superweapon of Doom.
        Spoiler:

bear in mind though that the first form of asgard teleport was far more limited than the latest version, plus we don't know at what point it was invented either.

Consider also that there are many branches of humanity across the 2 galaxies and they are not at the same level of technological development. Even when they are it is not always in the same way i.e. the aschen and tollan are both human yet not only have very different social structures but use their different technologies in different ways. their scientific focus just now focused on other ways to use the technology they do have, i mean come on no beaming tech but a shielded lift thats a couple of centimeters thick and can cut straight through the floor its not exactly unimpressive. on a side note i was expecting their armour to be like anubis' supersoldiers.
        Last edited by fallenexile452; 27 September 2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: Just saw youtube video and half my post became pointless

Comment

Spoiler:
          Also, these Asgard seem to use Ancient technology: the gold colored shields, the right yellow energy pulses as seen used by Asuran ships, yellow sublights.

Comment

I'm going to laugh when we find out these are really Furlings
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

My guess is that Ancient ships can fly through Ancient shields, this is not normally a problem because if one of their ships had been captured nobody could fly it anyway.

Somehow these new aliens have found a way around this and are able to fly the ship without the ATA gene. Perhaps when they found it it had never been turned 'off' so it wasn't a problem.
              sigpic

Comment

Presumably passing through your own shield isn't that difficult. We've seen several times when PJs pass through shields, but we've also seen 302s and death gliders launched in combat. I doubt the launching ships lowered their shields so the fighters could leave (unless they could lower a specific portion of their shield). I'm guessing that knowing something about how a shield works allows friendly targets to pass through, or maybe the computer on the shielded ship automatically alters the shield strength where a friendly fighter will come through. It would mean Ancient ships can pass through Ancient shields, human ships can pass through human shields, etc...(unless maybe you can lock out certain ships from passing through).
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                  Presumably passing through your own shield isn't that difficult. We've seen several times when PJs pass through shields, but we've also seen 302s and death gliders launched in combat. I doubt the launching ships lowered their shields so the fighters could leave (unless they could lower a specific portion of their shield). I'm guessing that knowing something about how a shield works allows friendly targets to pass through, or maybe the computer on the shielded ship automatically alters the shield strength where a friendly fighter will come through. It would mean Ancient ships can pass through Ancient shields, human ships can pass through human shields, etc...(unless maybe you can lock out certain ships from passing through).
                  It's possible sections of shields could be dropped in combat to allow for ships to pass out, or they're one way (you can go out but not back in). But Ancient ships have shown to be able to do both.

Comment

ancient ships just use a kind of "shield" wich merges with the shield the other ship uses, allowing it to move through.

best explanation

Spoiler:
                    these are asgard which have ancient based tech, not normal asgard tech

Comment

I doubt all ancients ships can pass through the shield, the asurans never did it. likely they need some sort of code or somethink to do it
                      Patito

Comment

shield frequency

Comment

It is also seen in Rising, in a flashback of Atlantis in Antartica. And if you want to know, the suit people are
                          Spoiler:
                          Asgards. it is shown on youtube.
                          Last edited by Skydiver; 29 September 2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I just want to know
                            Spoiler:
                            where the hell the jumpers were that sheppard ordered into the air, and why didnt they shoot down that ship while the new asgard offshoot went to capture the device and mckay and jackson.
                            Last edited by Skydiver; 29 September 2008, 01:07 PM.

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

GOD DAMMIT PUT THAT IN SPOILERS!.
                              i knew already, but there are alot of people who dont.

Comment

they move to fast to evan get jumpers in the air before they could destroy the city. plus the dedulus can't go throught the shield which means that they couldn't do anything to stop an enemy ship one it got through the shield unless they lowered the shield but that would be foolish
                                sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

Working...
                                X