Infantry Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I said this earlier... (a few pages back) but from the Marine Corp Times....

Good weapon but it had issues...

-Hand Guards overheating
    -Doesn't use STANAG magazines
    -No Picatinny Rail System... which would force the military to buy those accessories from H&K or the military would have to spend more to get H&K to build hand guards that had the Rail System Integrated into the weapon

Politics as previously stated.

Colt makes a majority (I believe FN USA also makes or made some M16's) of the M16's in use by the US Military. Had the XM8 won they would've lost a buttload of money. What most likely happened was that Colt complained to their Congressman/Senator (who they have donated graciously to). That Congressman/Senator complained to the Army, which in turn killed the XM8 project.

so true....but it'll be nice to see in STARGATE THO!

well maybe in the future...XM8 maybe revived...hopefully...well until then Bushmaster ARC....nice.....lol what do you think about that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Devlin Kyle SG-9 View Post
      Well, interestingly enough, Colt dropped it's asking price for the M4 about the time of the tests, IIRC...

That and...you know...a capmpaign contribution here, a campaign contribution there...
      Ahh, politics. They do the talking, the boys on the ground do the dying.

Originally posted by Legosim View Post
      Yeap. Ten bucks said some Senator decided he didnt like how the gun looked, and handed out some Christmas presents. *boom* CANCELATED
      or the owner insulted his wife a few years ago. Too right, I say.

Originally posted by Major V1125 View Post
      if only u can resurrect like Tupac did....XD ahahah
      and when that day cometh, i'll be standing in the front line shooting the ******* again myself.

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
      A big misconception is that the SCAR will be standard issue, and it won't. It's in the name SOF Combat Assult Rifle. there is only an order for 200,000 of them. And really the ACR wont come into standard issue in the near future or will come in. The only units getting new weapon and equipment soon will be SOF. And as I said the M4 A5 is most likely going to be the rifle of the future. Honestly I love the M4/16, I trained with it and I was taught how to use that rifle, and many other soldiers and marines will say the same thing, they trained with it, they fought with it, and took the rifle oath under it. Really it is a good rifle, I see no need to replace it and neither dose the pentagon.

As much as I hate to say this (And BOY, how I hate to say this) the m4 is still a damn good weapon that has been proven nin the field of battle. Why have a massive rearment right now? I could understand if u were equipped with the L85A1, but u have the M4, so rejoice and do much shooting of ceiling in celebration
      sigpic
      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
        Ahh, politics. They do the talking, the boys on the ground do the dying.

and when that day cometh, i'll be standing in the front line shooting the ******* again myself.

As much as I hate to say this (And BOY, how I hate to say this) the m4 is still a damn good weapon that has been proven nin the field of battle. Why have a massive rearment right now? I could understand if u were equipped with the L85A1, but u have the M4, so rejoice and do much shooting of ceiling in celebration
        ahahhahahaha yeeah...they dont notice the problems until it was too late until more people start dieing like back in my parent's war...yeah i know the M4 is good and all but maybe i over reacted into talking about rearming everyone with something else...lol but like most people i would want to be armed with something brand new! like the Bushmaster ARC or Barret 468 lol XD
        which are also good weapons but i'll always give the M4 the respect it deserves...lol would you say the same with the SA80? and besides dont you have the C7 and C8?? which are like Canadian M16s and M4s...unless u got a problem with them too...lol JK JK XD

Comment

Imo, although I believe the XM8 is better than the M16/4 series, I believe wholehartedly, that the M4 looks more military. Looks are something on the battlefield, and the M4 just looks like an assault rifle.

Originally posted by Peoples_General
          Okay... its been established that the Ori have the Toiletbowl-Class as their standard warships.

We should also try to watch out for the Sink Class cruisers, the even more massive Tub-Class carriers as well as the utterly gigantic 30km long Jacuzzi-Class mobile starbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Legosim View Post
            Imo, although I believe the XM8 is better than the M16/4 series, I believe wholehartedly, that the M4 looks more military. Looks are something on the battlefield, and the M4 just looks like an assault rifle.
            indeed....it seemed like the XM8 performed better than the M16/M4 but more futuristic in ways and modular like the M4...and the XM8 acts in many ways like the G36 since H&K helped developed it...and i liked it as you can tell...XD
            like the standard XM8 baseline or sharpshooter is like the G36E or A2 and M16A2/A4, the G36K and C is like the compact variant of the XM8, and the MG36 is the same as the Automatic Rifle variant that also uses the Beta C-Mag like the MG36...well since the Army still wanted to keep the M4 so they shelved the XM8 for future uses....at least some around that are fully functioning...XD
            Last edited by Major V1125; 01 December 2008, 06:32 PM.

Comment

If they wanted to rearm couldn't they do it slowly like one unit at a time insted of doing them all at once?

Comment

ahahhahahaha yeeah...they dont notice the problems until it was too late until more people start dieing like back in my parent's war...yeah i know the M4 is good and all but maybe i over reacted into talking about rearming everyone with something else...lol but like most people i would want to be armed with something brand new! like the Bushmaster ARC or Barret 468 lol XD
                which are also good weapons but i'll always give the M4 the respect it deserves...lol would you say the same with the SA80? and besides dont you have the C7 and C8?? which are like Canadian M16s and M4s...unless u got a problem with them too...lol JK JK XD
                Nothing wrong with the Diemaco series. Tho the C8 is mostly a police issued weapon, I think.

I would say that about the SA80 A2, at a push. But the A1 was one of the worst guns ever produced, and it was an embarrasnment to Royal Ordanance. It makes me cry blood to even think of the mark 1. Why did they do it??? WHY????????????????????????
                Why go new? go with proven!

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
                If they wanted to rearm couldn't they do it slowly like one unit at a time insted of doing them all at once?
                For the US military, that would take decades
                sigpic
                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

+100 to that

There are a lot of units... let alone the number of people in the U.S. Military.

USMC-195,000
                  USA -1,082,000
                  Nat. Guard - 400,000
                  USAF-328,000
                  USN -332,000
                  For a whopping grand total of 2,337,000 personnel in the U.S. Armed Forces. Give or take a few thousand.

Infantry or Combat related units would get the new weapons first... but if they went unit by unit.... well by the time they finished integrating the new weapon they'll be a new one in the works already.

Comment

Ok you obviously get what I meant sort of. I mean not just do it all at once but the people who would use it more and the get down to people who would use it less. Like USMC to the NAt. guard.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Diemaco series. Tho the C8 is mostly a police issued weapon, I think.

I would say that about the SA80 A2, at a push. But the A1 was one of the worst guns ever produced, and it was an embarrasnment to Royal Ordanance. It makes me cry blood to even think of the mark 1. Why did they do it??? WHY????????????????????????
                      Why go new? go with proven!

ahahhah really? well i would think if the soldiers who dont want to use the SA80 would switch it for a C8 since they use the same STANAG mags right? its like how some Marines use the M4 over the M16, or some use the H&K 416...let alone some use the G3A3 or M14 above all...

lol SA80A2....nice weapon but what do you mean by "why go new? go with proven!" ???

LMAO! decades?! ehh i dont know about that...M16 came in pretty fast after the M14...lol idk maybe cuz the armed forces was as big back then...idk...XD

Comment

There are a lot of units... let alone the number of people in the U.S. Military.

USMC-195,000
                        USA -1,082,000
                        Nat. Guard - 400,000
                        USAF-328,000
                        USN -332,000
                        For a whopping grand total of 2,337,000 personnel in the U.S. Armed Forces. Give or take a few thousand.

Infantry or Combat related units would get the new weapons first... but if they went unit by unit.... well by the time they finished integrating the new weapon they'll be a new one in the works already.

lol that is sooo true we got so many people serving in the Armed Forces, look at China! they have the largest army and they just put the QBZ-95 in service in 1997 but actually im not so sure if their whole army is supplied with it but theres Type 81 and 87s still around i bet, sure they just changed the ammunition, but the rifle entirely can still be around....and i know that the M1 Garand and Carbine was still around until they were given to the South Vietnamese along with M1 Thompson and M3 Grease guns, but the M3 was still around until Dessert Storm.....then the M4 and the M16A2/A4 (A3 is for Navy) came in...what happened to the A1 tho...? ahahaha true about transferring the new weapon, but by the time it'll be the "new" weapon is going be old...but whatever....XD too complicated to go on...and tired to...XD

Comment

Ok you obviously get what I meant sort of. I mean not just do it all at once but the people who would use it more and the get down to people who would use it less. Like USMC to the NAt. guard.
                          It would be a logistical headache. Each service is it's on entity that manages its own equipment and gets money to do what that service deems will meet its mission goals. They really don't like share with each other. During my time in I've seen the other service get all pissy that their equipment wasn't returned in as good of a condition, etc...

USMC to National Guard is another sticky issue for example. During peace time the National Guard falls under the State's control. During times of crisis... (like Iraq) Uncle Sam can call on them. Most of the equipment that the National Guard uses is most likely property of the State they are from. They're not too keen on just handing it over to one of the other services that falls under the federal government.

Comment

ahahhah really? well i would think if the soldiers who dont want to use the SA80 would switch it for a C8 since they use the same STANAG mags right? its like how some Marines use the M4 over the M16, or some use the H&K 416...let alone some use the G3A3 or M14 above all...

lol SA80A2....nice weapon but what do you mean by "why go new? go with proven!" ???
                            No, the 'go with the proven' was not refferring to the L85, it was about ur wanting something shiny and new comment. If I was using the L85 in that sense, it would only be to say 'drop it and grab ur FN FALs, boys!'....but we've had that talk already

LMAO! decades?! ehh i dont know about that...M16 came in pretty fast after the M14...lol idk maybe cuz the armed forces was as big back then...idk...XD

No, not the length of time to devise a weapon, the time it would take to rearm all the troops using it......

It would be a logistical headache. Each service is it's on entity that manages its own equipment and gets money to do what that service deems will meet its mission goals. They really don't like share with each other. During my time in I've seen the other service get all pissy that their equipment wasn't returned in as good of a condition, etc...

USMC to National Guard is another sticky issue for example. During peace time the National Guard falls under the State's control. During times of crisis... (like Iraq) Uncle Sam can call on them. Most of the equipment that the National Guard uses is most likely property of the State they are from. They're not too keen on just handing it over to one of the other services that falls under the federal government.
                            Ahhh.....the politics of autonomous states within one nation........oh, the ambiguity. National guard should always be under the control of the government, like our T.A.

I understand in such a vast country the need to install autonomous leadership is high, but the states get too much power to themselves. in my very humble opinion
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Ahhh.....the politics of autonomous states within one nation........oh, the ambiguity. National guard should always be under the control of the government, like our T.A.

I understand in such a vast country the need to install autonomous leadership is high, but the states get too much power to themselves. in my very humble opinion
                              Well that just goes back to early U.S. history where there was a lot of debate on State's Rights and how much control Uncle Sam should have over the States. There was the fear that the Federal Government would have too much control and too much power. Allowing the States to maintain their own militia was something that got the delegates to sign the Declaration of Independence and ratify The Consitution. The National Guard is pretty much the State's present day militia...

Gear swapping between the National Guard and Army is more likely to happen than with the Corp. It's kinda hard to understand if you haven't served and witnessed the quirks of each service.

Comment

I could understand if u were equipped with the L85A1, but u have the M4, so rejoice and do much shooting of ceiling in celebration
                                Be happy you don’t have the AUG Oz styer. Bent barrels, ineffective safeties, plastic mags and don’t get me started on the knuckle duster rails on the A2. What I wouldn’t give for the M4!

Comment

Working...
                                X