No announcement yet.

Point of Origin (Is confusing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it just occured to me: the PoO might be to tell the DHD which gate to dial. if a world has more than one gate (sgc and area 51) the PoO says to dial the gate here not the one a few miles away
    And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumDragon View Post
      it just occured to me: the PoO might be to tell the DHD which gate to dial. if a world has more than one gate (sgc and area 51) the PoO says to dial the gate here not the one a few miles away
      This could be possible.

We know that there can only be one active gate in any given sector of space (they're designed that way) but there's nothing to suggest you can't have more than one inactive gate in any given sector of space.

You could, in theory, use the point of origin to specify which gate you want to dial from. Sort of like specifying whether or not you're going to use the land-line or the cell phone.
      sigpic
      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

The Point of Origin is the place you're dialling from (there's a clue in the name ) Think of it as a 'You are Here' button. The first six symbols tell the gate where you want to go. The point of origin (while only one symbol on the DHD) represents the gate address you are dialling from. The first six symbols are the address (I want to go here) and the seventh is the Point of Origin (I am dialling from here) The symbol used on the button doesn't matter, it could be an X, a big arrow pointing down at the planet or 'You are here' (in Ancient) since the only important thing is the point in space it represents.

Comment

A PoO key is a waste of time, the writers should have just had the BRB act as the PoO indicator.

Comment

Gates have 39 symbols, there are 38 others not including the point of origin. therefore all gates that use one of those 38 as point of origin WILL have the earth point of origin,

Comment

Working...
            X