Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
    Try Maya, it has better modeling than sketchup, better render than max and more options like dynamics.
    So I've heard. I remember the water effects of the rise of the Atlantis were made in Maya.

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
    Haha, I know how you feel about the specs limiting your productivity. I had a crappy computer a while ago. But I went and got an Intel q8200 quad-core, NVIDIA GTX 260, and 4GB of RAM .

Being a gamer has advantages to rendering too I guess haha.
    Uuu.. A QuadCore I got overclocked duo6750@3,2GHz with 4Gigs of ram and NVIDIA 8800 GTS G92 back at my apt. Only my Guardian puts a serious stress on it when I start animating it with raytraced shadows But only thing it needs is a little time.

You flatter me . Nah I've always liked drawing and brainstorming ships, it wasn't until recently that I clued in to the fact that I can actually build them haha.
    Well that explains the sudden greatness

I don't know why you don't use 3DSMax if you have it lol, has a far greater range of abilities than Sketchup.
    3DS just doesn't fit to my thought-flow yet. Guess that I actually need to completely undergo some boring tutorials from start to end, and not just pick the best bits and use them to make great scenes

Also messed with the lighting from the link that RJB had provided (thanks btw, I had stumbled across that site some time ago but hadn't remembered it, definitely useful for setting up lights, star fields, etc.

I still have lots of work to do, but it's 4 am and my productivity dropped significantly after I had some wine hahaha, I think I'd best leave it for tomorrow.
    Starbits 7, a small but great program to generate starfields and galaxies at an instant. Easy to use too. There might be some other, better programs too.

Booze is the answer. Lol

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
    Does anyone have the ability to load, texture and render a 14mb sketchup ship? My computer keeps running out of power when it tries to load Leviathon II, I wanna texture and do some scenes but extrenix made it too damn good.
    Well sketchup won't do it, that's for sure. Externix should have divided it into components to make things easier.

Oh and Finger, put that ship into spoilertags. You're blasting our browsers! And btw, the texturing looks damn good! Keep it up!
    Last edited by Semmer; 09 January 2009, 11:33 AM. Reason: yarr

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
      Oh and Finger, put that ship into spoilertags. You're blasting our browsers! And btw, the texturing looks damn good! Keep it up!
      gateworld looks better this big, fits my screen better.

sigpic

Comment

3DS just doesn't fit to my thought-flow yet. Guess that I actually need to completely undergo some boring tutorials from start to end, and not just pick the best bits and use them to make great scenes
        Yeah hahaha, it's no fun going back and learning the basics. But as you know 3DS really holds nothing back like skp does.

Starbits 7, a small but great program to generate starfields and galaxies at an instant. Easy to use too. There might be some other, better programs too.
        Ahh thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Booze is the answer. Lol
        Booze leads to the greatest creativity, because you have no idea what the hell you're doing .

Woops, fixed the tags.

And the texturing needs a lot of work, still figuring it out. I'm getting some planar stretching going on. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry RJB, I copied your idea, hope you won't mind.

Some deckplans
          Spoiler:

The elevator runs through the structure

A bridge concept

Btw RJB, what program did you use in those?

Comment

Well sketchup won't do it, that's for sure. Externix should have divided it into components to make things easier.
            Any chance you can help? I can email you the file..
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Sorry, can't help yet. My laptop is probably worse than your computer. Lol You'll have to wait till monday when I get to my better computer.

Comment

Yeah, I can I have 6GB of RAM now so I'm in the green! And I have the model already exported into Lightwave and as a Lightwave object. Lol
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Sorry RJB, I copied your idea, hope you won't mind.

Btw RJB, what program did you use in those?
                  I'm just happy I came up with an idea that was so useful.

My deck plan was done in photoshop.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                  Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Modeling is now done.

Deck plan is about 95% done.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                    Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                      Yeah, I can I have 6GB of RAM now so I'm in the green! And I have the model already exported into Lightwave and as a Lightwave object. Lol
                      SIX GIGS?!?!!? WTF?! You must be running 64bit versions of softwares.. I've been wondering how inefficient Max is using my 4gigs of memory.. And 64bit version was nowhere to be... "found"

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                      Modeling is now done.

Deck plan is about 95% done.
                      The awesomeness is unlimited.. The design looks very efficient.

You must have used "make planar" command to get the outer line for the plan, right?

Looks like I really have to learn photoshop too. MSPaint just isn't the right tool

Comment

I got 6 gigs, definitely an improvement from my last computer which was 1 gig.
                        Visit my Website

Comment

I got 3 gig at the moment, but a other three gig sitting in the draw, as when I plug any more than three into the computer, it will not even load into the bios and I been to lazy to figure out why. Plus I got a pretty descent graphic card with 600mb of it own ram on board.

In summer I will probably rebuild pc in a bigger case and add more fans and that when I will probably update then to a 64bit windows and change all my software hopefully to 64bit.

Comment

I potentually could have quite the problem here... my computer has performed 3 self shutdowns since midnight... two within 3 minutes of each other.

I'm running all the virus scans i have after leaving it for about half an hour.... but if it goes belly up i might not get to submit my bomber to the challange.....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Bo would you be able to texture leviathon in Lightwave? Would be really useful.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                                Try Maya, it has better modeling than sketchup, better render than max and more options like dynamics.
                                I am interested in joining this challenge, however I'm stuck on something.

What 3D modeling software would you recommend for a novice 3D modeler like me?
                                Would Google SketchUp be the best option?

Comment

Working...
                                X