Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daredevil-k View Post
    That's good, lighting can really change effects, add lights like atlantis. That would make a great effect (just trying to help )
    woo, you make sound like it so easy.

Well it sought of is, but find that it just so time consuming.
    Last edited by knowles2; 06 October 2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

well i never actually made one before because i'm still learning, any tutorials (preferably daedalus tutorials, links, anything?).
      Spoiler:
      Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
      god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

well i never actually made one before because i'm still learning, any tutorials (preferably daedalus tutorials, links, anything?).
        just try it, i'm pretty sure that there arn't going to be any daedalus tutorials soon for sketchup so yeah. Just give a whril and think of a ship design and go from there.
        sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

just make the general shape and carve pull and add detail

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Yeah, what about maya?
            Spoiler:
            god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

Yeah, what about maya?
              Well his my very simple probably confusing guide to get you started.

Modeling
              creating a polygon object- create-polygon-select primitive to be created.

Then you used the mouse over the object and then you right click to click on either vertexes or edge or face.

Face- a single polygon of the object
              edges - allows to select the edges of a polygon
              vertexes - are the pink dot which allows you allows you more control of the mesh.

Basic Modeling tools.

All of these are under Edit Mesh

Extrude - Select a face of the mesh and then select extrude, this allows you to extrude the face, it also creating extra polygons as you extrude. I suggest you select the little square box next to it. This bring a little dialogue box. Select keep face together. This handy as it creates less polygons as you extrude.

Cut- allows you to cut extra polygons into your model. In object mode it will cut through your entire model but if you work in face mode and select individual face it will just cut that.

Bridge
              - Which if you select two edges it will in the gap in between.

Merge and Merge to center-lets you merge a two or more vertexes together.

Bevel Tool- Basically angles the edges.

Mesh Tools

Smooth- will basically add extra polygons to the models taking any sharp angels out. Makes it look organic. (Hint: trying to model a wraith hive will turn you insane)

Booleans basically allows you merge polygons together to create more complicated objects.

- Intercept- never really got what this one does.
              -Difference- detracts a object from a other object, basically create a cube then create a smaller cube and the select the bigger one then hold the back space button to select the other object. Go to Boolean select difference and it will create a hole through the object.

Union- joins two objects together. Deletes unnecessary faces

Fill hole- fills in any holes in your model. Delete a face and then select the edges and it fill that space back in with a other face. sometimes if you lucky it does not always work on more complicated object, someone did explain to me why not but I cannot remember.

Basically those are the very basic tool set for modeling in Maya. Well for polygon modeling anyway.

I suggest you go into Maya and create a simple cube, which is what use to create most models and work your way through the tools above. Then afterward just play about with them until you get a basic models.

The above instructions I have probable use the wrong technical terms for the tools. And will probably be confusing to use for beginners.

If you need any other advance or more tutorials then here some links.

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Maya/1

http://www.learning-maya.com

http://www.3dlinks.com/tutorials_maya.cfm

The above web sites taught me everything about Maya, which is not much and probably barely scratches the surface of what the software can.
              Last edited by knowles2; 08 October 2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Finally some process

Spoiler:

A lot of cargo container slots and a few bays added

Comment

Just a little update of my space station.

space Station 5.jpg

space Station 6.jpg

What do you think of it and any suggestions on what to put on it and where to put it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                    Finally some process

Spoiler:

love it definately greened.
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Definately These are looking better than I expected, I really like your knowles, sticking with the stargate theme, and you semmer with the amazing detail
                      sigpic
                      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        Just a little update of my space station.

[ATTACH]7009[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7010[/ATTACH]

What do you think of it and any suggestions on what to put on it and where to put it on.
                        awesome still looks a little bit like the midway, but you changed it awesomely
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                          Finally some process

Spoiler:

And i thought mine was big and is that a 304 in the bay?

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                            And i thought mine was big and is that a 304 in the bay?
                            Yup, its a 304 alright, but that particular bay could hold 3 of those. Not sure, though.

I must admit that the size of my station has... escaped my consious control

But what the heck. Making those colossal colonyships aint easy, and the infrastructure takes room.

Comment

its definately impresive those ships alone are big like aura sized.

Comment

sorry can't resist, It's aurora not aura but yeah i see your point
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X