Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    I am not going to administer it but here the challenge instead I am voluteering anyone who randomly volunteers to administer it or the thread creator.
    Spoiler:
    Create a new alien race within the Stargate universe, any show you like!

Design any part of this race you want, the aliens or their ships, the buildings they live in, a space station, their weapons, clothes or personal armour, it could be anything as long as it directly linked to this NEW alien race.

Write a BREIF history for the alien race and describe what your model shows.

There is one rule and one rule only, it must not be connected to any other alien races that we have seen in any of the shows in anyway shape or form.

(I would personally change the rule to not be an alien race already seen. Forming a tie to a race already seen would create stronger believability for the creation.)

Knowles - Re-wrote it so it was a little easier to understand...and finger we always wait for Bo! lol
    Last edited by Merlin1701; 02 May 2009, 02:16 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Darn...... nothing like we've seen before? There goes my idea

I had planed a race of robots, not unlike the Droids from the newer SW Trilogy.....

Plan change imminent

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
        Darn...... nothing like we've seen before? There goes my idea

I had planed a race of robots, not unlike the Droids from the newer SW Trilogy.....

Plan change imminent
        we never seen anything like that in stargate before.

reedited the challenge and added added final entry date. Thanks Merlin1701 for providing the edits. If bo wants to moan about our little rebellion then let him moan.

and if he really want to moan he can call us this and do the actions on his desk
        but he better film it for our entertainment .

Challenge 7: A new alien race

Create a new alien race within the Stargate universe, any show you like!, .

Design any part of this race you want, the aliens or their ships, the buildings they live in, a space station, their weapons, clothes or personal armour, it could be anything as long as it directly linked to this new alien race.

Write a brief history for the alien race and a description of what your model shows.

There is one rule and one rule only, it must not be connected to any other alien races that we have seen in any of the shows in anyway shape or form.

Entry date is June 7th
        Last edited by knowles2; 03 May 2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

The Seventh Challenge

It's time to create a Tau'ri destroyer. I doesn't matter how large, how powerful it is but keep in mind that the judges could take off for that. As always respect the rules of the tech and the genre. This is due on June 5th 2009 Midnight EST.
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Bob, how do you make those size comparison images, is it just pasting all the models into one file?

Could somebody define a destroyer?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
              The Seventh Challenge

It's time to create a Tau'ri destroyer. I doesn't matter how large, how powerful it is but keep in mind that the judges could take off for that. As always respect the rules of the tech and the genre. This is due on June 5th 2009 Midnight EST.
              boring challenge. I must say. Destroyers have been created loads of times in the fleet thread. Hardly anything original will be produce same as the last challenge.

And what are the rules on technology, with in the actual universe the writer have not set themselves any. As for the genre, yeah let respect that rule, the only rule in scifi has is anything can happen or be design as long as it fits in with the universe. poor challenge, the poorest yet.

It becoming very apparent that this thread is going the way I fear it would, a ship design of the month contest rather than an actual modelling challenge thread.
              Last edited by knowles2; 03 May 2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

boring challenge. I must say. Destroyers have been created loads of times in the fleet thread. Hardly anything original will be produce same as the last challenge.

And what are the rules on technology, with in the actual universe the writer have not set themselves any. As for the genre, yeah let respect that rule, the only rule in scifi has is anything can happen or be design as long as it fits in with the universe. poor challenge, the poorest yet.
                The technology rule as I understand it is that all technology included in an entry, should have been in the show or have been created within 5 years; thus an off shoot of current tech understanding...I may be wrong though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                  The technology rule as I understand it is that all technology included in an entry, should have been in the show or have been created within 5 years; thus an off shoot of current tech understanding...I may be wrong though.
                  Well it should be explained in the challenge. And well with the Asguard core it a stupid rule anyway. Given the level of understanding we have seen them show with the show, there very little in that core we would not be able to use. And the core specifically design to teach us.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                    The Seventh Challenge

Sorry Boberth... but i have to agree with Knowles... this is a bit boring as a design CHALLENGE....... The idea of creating a whole new race unlike anything we've seen in the SG-Verse seems like a better CHALLENGE to me....

maybe if there were some restrictions put into this one......It must have X or it can't have Y or it has to be Z length......then it might look more appealing.

That being said i've got a few ideas to make this a bit challenging......

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I have started putting pencil to paper for this destroyer, i agree with Rob in that a few restrictions such as size would help, but not too many.

Had a look into destroyers and frigates etc. It states a destroyer is bigger than a frigate, i thought it was the other way around; so my frigate that i was creating is now a light cruiser... as its now about 460m long.

sigpic

Comment

well I just sketch out a really cool alien creature. Think of blimps and whales, that live in a gas giant.

I might set up a thread specifically design to design new alien species soon as I start building the 3d model of it.

Comment

well I just sketch out a really cool alien creature. Think of blimps and whales, that live in a gas giant.

I might set up a thread specifically design to design new alien species soon as I start building the 3d model of it.
                          You sound a little upset that Bob did the destroyer challege rather than the alien culture concept?

sigpic

Comment

What me, upset, never,

Comment

if you don't like it then take it over
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

People are overreacting. I think a Tau'ri destroyer will be fun to do.

I suppose if it were open to more races than only the Tau'ri then people might not feel so limited.

That would be my own suggestion, keep the destroyer challenge just let it be open to whatever race. And then people can't complain about it being restricting.

A challenge where you could model absolutely anything from races that we haven't even encountered is too broad.

It would be stupid to make two modelling challenge threads, this one is having a hard enough time getting a lot of submissions because of people being busy, we don't need two going simultaneously.

Instead of accusing Bobertho of not thinking 'original' enough, perhaps people should remember that the whole point of the challenges is to use their own creativity to make something better than every one else. It doesn't matter if that's a blimp, a gun, a destroyer, a city, whatever.

If I told you to design a Tau'ri gun, how would that be any more limiting or boring than a Tau'ri destroyer? Look at the hordes of different gun designs in the past few years alone, look at the differences in Aircraft carriers since WW2, or the differences in Battleships during WW2. There is such a vast range that there is no need to be bickering over this.

If people are incapable of adapting their designs to do something original, even if the category has been done several times, then that's their problem and is nobody else's fault. Even the stipulation that it has to be Tau'ri isn't THAT restrictive. We only have two ships to reference, that leaves a lot of aesthetics open to our own interpretation.
                                Last edited by Finger13; 03 May 2009, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X