Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
    Well, I didn't short out the board because I grounded my self before touching the motherboard, and the first time I put everything together it did Power On by itself..
    It’s not a power issue, and you have checked all internal connections. As finger said you didn’t short anything out, and more importantly didn’t wear a static band! Lol

I remember building computers and taking them apart at college, somebody went out and bought a static band, everyone else used the free method!

Have you taken the ram out? Make sure it’s in securely, I had trouble a while back after case upgrade and it was the ram not in securely. The power would work but it just went through to a blank screen.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
      It’s not a power issue, and you have checked all internal connections. As finger said you didn’t short anything out, and more importantly didn’t wear a static band! Lol

I remember building computers and taking them apart at college, somebody went out and bought a static band, everyone else used the free method!
      Well the free way isn't as safe for the components though. You should really stay grounded at all times, meaning constantly needing to touch the computer chassis. When you're doing something as labourious as dismantling and reassembling a computer, it's smart to spend $2 on a wristband to potentially save your new $150 motherboard or $350 quad core .

I've handled my components without a wristband, but after reading all of the reviews online of 'dead' components, one has to wonder if these are all just unfortunate people that fried their stuff lol.

Have you taken the ram out? Make sure it’s in securely, I had trouble a while back after case upgrade and it was the ram not in securely. The power would work but it just went through to a blank screen.[/b]
      And for that matter, it could be any component. The video card being another likely culprit, sound or network cards if you have them, etc.

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
      (Sneaks in) Ok.... better be quick as i'm meant to be working here

Finger, LOVE the backstory, you could make a brilliant fanfic from what you posted there.
      Thanks Lee, and your model wasn't lost, I personally like it lol. It was too bad about your computer crapping out.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
        Well the free way isn't as safe for the components though. You should really stay grounded at all times, meaning constantly needing to touch the computer chassis. When you're doing something as labourious as dismantling and reassembling a computer, it's smart to spend $2 on a wristband to potentially save your new $150 motherboard or $350 quad core .

I've handled my components without a wristband, but after reading all of the reviews online of 'dead' components, one has to wonder if these are all just unfortunate people that fried their stuff lol.
        The likelihood of static electricity shock depends a lot about one thing, humidity. If the air is dry, static electricity is very likely. And the air is likely to be dry if the air has been cold for some time. Also, clothing is important to notice. So leave your wolly off and touch some metal after taking it off.

I've too handled components without writstband but never when the risk of static electricity is high.

Comment

it was working fine when i last used it (I'm nowhere near my computer atm) We did have a major problem Sunday..... it just shut down and wouldn't start again, so we took the cover off and used a minivac to get the dust out.....

Then realised that, without moving, i'd turned the extension lead off :McKay:

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Merlin1701: Sure I wasn't grounded at every possible moment but every time that I did touch the board I was grounded seconds before, non the less I didn't touch any conductive components on the board while I handled it. Just the edge silicon was in contact with my fingers. When I cleaned the CPU, I was grounded the complete period when I made sure the pins where straight.

Finger13: I don't believe it's the video card, that wouldn't explain why the keyboard and mouse aren't usable. For the RAM, I didn't touch the RAM, until I checked how secure it is, while grounding myself.

Back the the problem,
            Symptoms:
            - All peripherals do not work, although there is power to them (this is seen in the wireless adapter what the power LED on). This includes:
            ~Monitor
            ~Mouse
            ~Keyboard
            ~Speakers
            ~Wireless Adapter
            ~Printer
            - I noticed that every time I turn it on that the HD is not doing anything.
            - Only one of the DVD Drive works, not the old CD Drive.
            - The Graphics card is turned on along with the sound card.

Now what?
            Last edited by boberth2o; 13 January 2009, 03:53 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Merlin1701: Sure I wasn't grounded at every possible moment but every time that I did touch the board I was grounded seconds before, non the less I didn't touch any conductive components on the board while I handled it. Just the edge silicon was in contact with my fingers. When I cleaned the CPU, I was grounded the complete period when I made sure the pins where straight.

Finger13: I don't believe it's the video card, that wouldn't explain why the keyboard and mouse aren't usable. For the RAM, I didn't touch the RAM, until I checked how secure it is, while grounding myself.

Back the the problem,
              Symptoms:
              - All peripherals do not work, although there is power to them (this is seen in the wireless adapter what the power LED on). This includes:
              ~Monitor
              ~Mouse
              ~Keyboard
              ~Speakers
              ~Wireless Adapter
              ~Printer
              - I noticed that every time I turn it on that the HD is not doing anything.
              - Only one of the DVD Drive works, not the old CD Drive.
              - The Graphics card is turned on along with the sound card.

Now what?
              Try resetting bios?

Comment

is anyone here capable of making cool renders of sketchup models? i would like some renders to be done of my Crysalix ships, but it requires more advanced render programs than i can use

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                  Try resetting bios?
                  I don't have control of the mouse or keyboard, I can't do that.
                  sigpic
                  ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I don't have control of the mouse or keyboard, I can't do that.
                    Do a manual reset. Usually there's a certain jumper (see your motherboard manual) that has to be plugged into certain pins for certain amount of time. Make sure that your computer is unplugged when doing that.

Comment

boberth quick question what is the absolute latest date and time i can submit include the timezone aswell please

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

That Did nothing.
                        I mean reseting the BIOS
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                          boberth quick question what is the absolute latest date and time i can submit include the timezone aswell please
                          Tomorrow Midnight EST
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

well i'm ****ed thats 5am on the 15th in GMT

Comment

eps, you can post it before the deadline. my entry is not really finished but i'm still going to submit it.

sigpic

Comment

Okay here is my entry but if my new laptop arives before the deadline i will make a better one

eps200s entry

[spoilers]

Images
                                Spoiler:

Spoiler:

General veiw

point defence gun not quite happy with it i'm thinking it would work the same as when larin blew a hole i the door in travler but at gattling gun speed and bigger calibre

Disproportainatly large generators and engines sheild generator domes on top of the bridge in the middle

Front veiw

functional picture of the turet to demonstrate how big they actualy are
                                coming soon (as soon as image shack starts working again)

Since these pics i have added landing gear floors on the inside and various bits of greebling i can't put pics but i can upload the model to a file sharing site if any of the judeges would be prepared to look at it that way its a sketch up file

Specs
                                Spoiler:

Traveller endurance class bomber

Dimensions

Length: ~60m
                                Width: ~40m
                                Height: ~ 12m ~11m with gear up

These are estimates I don’t have access to sketchup any more so it’s the best I can do
                                All of these pictures are out of date but I’ve got nothing

Overview

The traveller Endurance class bomber is a ship designed to give the travellers a military arm without risking the valuable generational ships, unlike the generational ship the Endurance class is optimised for combat rather than maximum population despite this the ship is self sufficient with life support water recycling waste reprocessing unrivalled by any race except the wraith due to the space fairing nature of its occupants. The only requirements for indefinite trips are occasional restocking of consumables and hydrogen from gas giants or nebulas the hydrogen is used as fuel in the fusion reactors.
                                The ship has some unusual design features such as disproportionately large engines and reactors these are to support the large energy weapons. Thee large capacitor banks are to charge the weapons and provide uninterrupted power. The ship is capable of caring more weapons and stronger shields but this was dropped to maintain the indefinite endurance required by a space faring civilisation with no industrial base
                                Many systems normal automated or more user friendly are kept simple and manual to save power and make maintenance simpler bulkhead doors ladders instead of lifts wired communications ect.

Crew compliment

The ship is home to a maximum of twelve people a pilot; a navigator (captain); a chief engineer; an assistant engineer: four gunners and up to four dependants such as children or those not yet fully trained for a position in the crew additionally there will always be at least one crew member with medical training. Although the crew have designated jobs for combat they cross train meaning although there is a designated pilot and navigator the crew have a basic understanding of each others jobs allowing someone to be at the controls all the time even while the pilot is off duty. Those listed as dependants despite the title do not get a free ride they perform a larger share of housekeeping tasks and in the case of children work with a member of the crew to learn that job to take over from someone who dies or becomes two old though the sick and elderly are cared for on the larger generational ships. The crew is rotated occasionally, spending some time on generational ships where life is relatively easier.

Power systems

Power generation is achieved via two large fusion generators they produce so much heat it has to be released into space through the containment shields these are self sufficient as they are active any time power is being produced. In the event of the generators going out of control the containment shield is lowered opening them to space.
                                The reactors are hydrogen fueled. The hydrogen undergoes fusion all the way to iron which is collided in the engines under its own momentum causing it to fused up to unstable isotopes of heavier elements which can either be ionised for fuel efficient but low output use or fissured to produce massive amounts of thrust very quickly this is dangerous if used in a planets atmosphere as it dumps out radioactive dust and used in the engines but some is siphoned off at various stages for example oxygen to replenish the life support chlorine to sterilise components and sections anything up to and including iron can be obtained by carful control of the inner accelerators, these reactors can also be used to recharge energy crystals used in small arms and other small devices

Power distribution is done mainly using large variable release capacitor banks this allows systems to operate semi independently which is a huge asset on ships rife with aged and occasionally faulty equipment.

Weapons

The ship is armed exclusively with energy weapons carrying no traditional explosive ordinance as this would need replacing and the travellers lack the capacity to produce any reasonable quantity of ammunition.
                                Offensive firepower comes from the two large front mounted energy cannons these work by building up a charge in the massive capacitor banks which can then be released at three different yields the smallest offering a high rate of fire this barrel also has its inertial dampeners set at 90% causing the it to shake when fired spraying the bolts of a large area very effective at cutting holes in a wraith dart screen, this mode doesn’t deplete the capacitors much. The medium barrels are much like those a generational ship though the bomber is incapable of prolonged fire as these drain four capacitors per shot. The largest barrels are the ships primary weapon all the stored power is direct into the canons producing a pair of massively powerful shots that low the ship to punch far above its weight, these guns can cause real problems for wraith cruisers.
                                Point defence is handled by four multi barrelled turrets located on the rear corners top and bottom each packs sixteen barrels eight on each side they can be spun up and fired independently with great accuracy thee barrels are spun so the fire is always emanating from the same spot which allows the targeting computer to be more effective they can also be fired static and linked in this mode the barrels stop spinning and all fire at once trading rate of fire for more powerful shots used against things like scout ships and ground targets. Each turret is manned by one gunner sitting in a chair inside the turret they have energy buffers mounted on the back allowing the turrets to fire for a short time without receiving power from the ships generators even if the ship is disabled, they also posses quite accurate targeting computers that allow the gunners to keep up with the high speeds of space combat
                                A single small multi barrel anti personnel gun to protect the ship from would be intruders or to cover friendly troop that are being pursued not used in ship to ship engagements as it would be useless.

Propulsion

The ship caries a hyper drive similar to other traveller ships and is capable of keeping up with fleets due to the drive being larger in relation to the ship.
                                Sub light propulsion is provided by two massive ion engines built directly off the main generators these can be angled slightly to direct thrust this makes the ship quite agile for its size, this is also required when landing as the ship is not capable of hovering The ions used are produced from gas collected in nebulas and waste gases from the generators.
                                Additionally due the limited thrust vectoring capability the engines can be used to blow away infantry behind the ship even darts that get too close

Miscellaneous

Other systems on the ship include highly efficient life support systems including water and waste recycling though restocking food and water from planets and nebula gases for the reactors are required every few months.
                                The cargo hold is quite large taking up the entire habitable part of the lower deck this is for carrying the provisions necessary for prolong time in space the old can also be emptied allowing it to be filled with infantry for a short time meaning the ship can serve as a troop drop ship though this role has never had any notable sucsess..
                                The ship possesses reasonable sensors as well as massive illuminators on the front that can emit white light infer red and various other EM for detection navigation or assisting manual flight in darkness.

History in next post i hit the size limit

Sorry i went OTT with the four pages of typing

and this thread is definatly cursed we now have between us two dead computers and one nearly dead

Comment

Working...
                                X