Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
    Your model looks great, I can't believe that you did that with Sketchup. It has nice details, not too busy but still has lots of things to look at. That video of yours was great too, nice effects on the engine thrust. I'm quite certain that you know more about rendering and such than I do.
    Thanks mate, yes the model is done in skp, and the amount of details was limited because the lack of power in my computer, and some visions, according to which a bomber sized should be fairly contained with more armor solid armor on outer hull, than details. I might work a little on details in the future.

Your model looks extremely original. I'm still dazzled about how you jumped out of the shadows and went to instant greatness in such short time. It's not fair!

Anyhow, really try the bump mapping. It's a great, if not the greatest of tools to make a model look better. And it's resource-efficient. It is more processor friendly than gazillion polygons.
    You can also try colouring different sections of the hull differently, like I do. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I find it useful when I plan future textures or something like that. It adds a nice contrast.

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
    Semmer you just blasted your way back in to the competition with that one, Love it. Sorry for saying only RJB and Finger earlier, really didnt mean to cause offense, i havej ust been seeing them develop all the way along and its been cool. I agree with buba that specs are going to be important in this one.
    Thanks mate, no offense taken.

Yeah Semmer seems to know how to do sketchup rendering, im still hoping to get him to do some fleet vids, theres tons of models for him to use
    Sure I can do some, but everyone of them might need optimizing, I've been noticing a need for optimization here and there in the 3D business, espesially when you don't own a damn server-rack full of rendering-computers cracking your million-poly scene in microseconds.

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
    Semmer renders his models in max I believe. He just exports them from sketch-up and renders them in max.
    Yep that's true Tep. Skp renders are well.. simple..

All of my models are sketchup, I think Semmer, Bo and Extrenix have done the best out of sketchup so far, with zake too. Then me. But it is a genuinely great program.
    Externix has really blown the amount of greebling in skp to skyhigh, and bob has the vast variority of well thought ships and zake too. But all of us must have noticed that skp has some serious lacks of qualities that it really needs. I've been angried by the lack of manual snaps, as for ex. AutoCAD has. If I ******* want a line prependicular to some other line of my choosing in a tight spot then it's really making me angry if the program doesn't do what I want.

In the future you might start seeing my works made entirely in 3Dmax, once I get a hang of the modelling features...

Comment

Wow the level of Modeling going on her is so Awsome I chould not vote because I chould not deside how to vote for,

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
        Thanks mate, yes the model is done in skp, and the amount of details was limited because the lack of power in my computer, and some visions, according to which a bomber sized should be fairly contained with more armor solid armor on outer hull, than details. I might work a little on details in the future.

Your model looks extremely original. I'm still dazzled about how you jumped out of the shadows and went to instant greatness in such short time. It's not fair!

Anyhow, really try the bump mapping. It's a great, if not the greatest of tools to make a model look better. And it's resource-efficient. It is more processor friendly than gazillion polygons.
        You can also try colouring different sections of the hull differently, like I do. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I find it useful when I plan future textures or something like that. It adds a nice contrast.

Thanks mate, no offense taken.

Sure I can do some, but everyone of them might need optimizing, I've been noticing a need for optimization here and there in the 3D business, espesially when you don't own a damn server-rack full of rendering-computers cracking your million-poly scene in microseconds.

Yep that's true Tep. Skp renders are well.. simple..

Externix has really blown the amount of greebling in skp to skyhigh, and bob has the vast variority of well thought ships and zake too. But all of us must have noticed that skp has some serious lacks of qualities that it really needs. I've been angried by the lack of manual snaps, as for ex. AutoCAD has. If I ******* want a line prependicular to some other line of my choosing in a tight spot then it's really making me angry if the program doesn't do what I want.

In the future you might start seeing my works made entirely in 3Dmax, once I get a hang of the modelling features...
        Thank I know that Auto CAD had many features like the snap preferences, Maybe sketchup has a window like that, search.
        sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
          Thank I know that Auto CAD had many features like the snap preferences, Maybe sketchup has a window like that, search.
          Nuup. Version 5 has just a "sophisticated interference engine" or something like that, which will automatically guess what interference option you want to use. But no manual options...

Comment

Almost done my deck plan. Just some minor items and labeling left.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
            Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Try Maya, it has better modeling than sketchup, better render than max and more options like dynamics.

Originally posted by RJB View Post
              Pretty sweet!!

O_O

Ancient toilets!!!
              Visit my Website

Comment

Haha that's great, a really good idea. Maybe I will have to do one too, as long as it's not ripping you off . Definitely helps clarify the scale and function of the ship, I thought that your ship was much smaller than it is.

How do the drones get out of the launchers?

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                Haha, I know how you feel about the specs limiting your productivity. I had a crappy computer a while ago. But I went and got an Intel q8200 quad-core, NVIDIA GTX 260, and 4GB of RAM .

Being a gamer has advantages to rendering too I guess haha.

You flatter me . Nah I've always liked drawing and brainstorming ships, it wasn't until recently that I clued in to the fact that I can actually build them haha.

Yeah I was messing around with the bump mapping and wasn't seeing any change, so I was obviously doing it wrong. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks for the advice. And haha, my poly count isn't the greatest. 340,000 polys with landing gear up, and several thousand more with all of the details down. Oh well. I suppose I could remove inner details like the bombs when the bomb bays are up, but I can't be bothered at the moment lol. Laziness is bliss.

I don't know why you don't use 3DSMax if you have it lol, has a far greater range of abilities than Sketchup.

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                Try Maya, it has better modeling than sketchup, better render than max and more options like dynamics.

Pretty sweet!!

O_O

Ancient toilets!!!
                Hahahahaha. I always wonder when I watch Atlantis and they mention plumbing... "Where do the toilets lead to?" Especially when they're in space, does it jettison out of the bottom and end up piling against the shield?

Imagine being attacked with waste hahaha. I'd surrender.
                Last edited by Finger13; 08 January 2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                  Haha that's great, a really good idea. Maybe I will have to do one too, as long as it's not ripping you off . Definitely helps clarify the scale and function of the ship, I thought that your ship was much smaller than it is.

How do the drones get out of the launchers?
                  Feel free to make your own. The ship is about double the size of a B-52 bomber.

There is a feeding system for the launchers but it does not show up in this image.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                  Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Feel free to make your own. The ship is about double the size of a B-52 bomber.

There is a feeding system for the launchers but it does not show up in this image.
                    So that puts it at 100 metres? Yours is just as big as mine than, that makes me feel better haha.

Mine is roughly 150m long, but much narrower.

Comment

Alrighty, we're in business!

Spoiler:

The texture is by Svenniemannie, I wanted to test how it looked and have asked for permission to use it. If he says no, I will remove the picture.

Thanks for the reminder Semmer, I had forgotten to play around with my texture settings. I changed surfaces to add more diversity. Right now only the main default surface is textured. The rest that are still untextured will be nice and smooth textures, the side panels being dark, and the small point defense turrets and main turret barrels will be shiny metal I think, or simple metal.

I will still tweak the bump map though, but I like that look. I will add more smooth panneling as well, that way there will be nice smooth bits interspersed with the rough and thick underlying armour. I think that I will have it so that it's primarily smooth, but with lots of those rough bits peeking out. Again *sigh* kind of like on the Galactica.

Also messed with the lighting from the link that RJB had provided (thanks btw, I had stumbled across that site some time ago but hadn't remembered it, definitely useful for setting up lights, star fields, etc.

I still have lots of work to do, but it's 4 am and my productivity dropped significantly after I had some wine hahaha, I think I'd best leave it for tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Finger13; 09 January 2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Lets own the cylons!!!!!!!!
                        Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
                        god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

Originally posted by daredevil-k View Post
                          Lets own the cylons!!!!!!!!
                          If the Cylons jump through into the Stargate reality. Or... If the Cylons invade the 12 colonies...

Damn the ambiguity of my ship!

Comment

i dont know if it looks like BSG, but if we see an ep of SGU with that ship flying in, i would brace for the impact of its beauty and coolness

Comment

Does anyone have the ability to load, texture and render a 14mb sketchup ship? My computer keeps running out of power when it tries to load Leviathon II, I wanna texture and do some scenes but extrenix made it too damn good.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Well im most probobly out mow my latop screen is ruined the something shattered so the screens unusable only a little corner works
                                I recovered my files using a school monitor but i dont have a spare at home and have no acces to any other computer with scetch up so ill finish my stats do a floor plan, a diagram of what stuff does and use my existing images

Sucks im posting on my dads laptop as hes away but it ha no 3d stuff and he probly wouldn't want me instaling crap on it.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Working...
                                X