No announcement yet.

Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finger i was unsure af your model due to its heavy BSG look, but the aft looks great! falling for it!

Knowles not really felling the next challenge...

sigpic

Comment

Knowles: What exactly is this going to be, just massive primitive object? Is there supposed to be a story? I don't think this is a good one for the 'modeling' challenge thread if its a simple structure.
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
        Knowles: What exactly is this going to be, just massive primitive object? Is there supposed to be a story? I don't think this is a good one for the 'modeling' challenge thread if its a simple structure.
        Thats all i could think when reading it...perhaps there is more...this could be a teaser. When i read monolith all i could think of are those large stone cuboids. I hope i have not offended you knowles.

sigpic

Comment

I did not put simple structure, I put single structure, which can be as complicated as you want it to be,

And example could be

A temple, it could have ornate statues, fountains, doors, columns as long as it all belong to a single object.

The structure could just be a door with in a cliff face, with strange alien symbols surrounding it, open hatches with internal circuitry or perhaps some clogs and clanks on it.

And as I said model should give his purpose over and story over through the model it self, for instant battle damage, telling people looking at it been attack or perhaps empty shell.

A other idea could be a simple primitive shape, say a sphere, but greeble the hell out of it, so cables on the surface, sensors arrays, hatches, generators, air vents anything you can think of.

A couple of pictures of possible things which could be done:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

this one I choose mainly for the object in the sky.

Challenge 4:

The Stargate activates and a camera doom in on the event horizon, a SG team comes through it, the gate shuts down and the camera rotates 180 degrees and you see a single unnatural structure or object or anything you want.
          This structure can be anything you want it to be, an arch way, to monolith to a pyramid, a diamond, a temple, a floating alien whale but it must be alien and original.

It must not be:

- Recognizable from any aliens we have encountered before. Originality
          people.
          - city, base, village , or ship.

What it must be:

- It must be a single object/structure, no cities, no bases, no towns.
          - Alien origin
          - It purpose must not be immediately obvious to the viewer.

Optional extras:

Creating environment (hill, trees, sky, moon, anything but it must be part of landscape/setting for the structure.) I will allow this to be done in either 2d or 3d.

You have got to the 15 of February 12 am GMT to get you entries in or until I get online and post a post with all entries in aka I will not be checking exact times that you post final render, as long is up by the time I check.

I think the rules are clear any questions please ask, and have fun and get modeling.

Comment

Semmer you just blasted your way back in to the competition with that one, Love it. Sorry for saying only RJB and Finger earlier, really didnt mean to cause offense, i havej ust been seeing them develop all the way along and its been cool. I agree with buba that specs are going to be important in this one.

As to the next challenge, i really dont like it, for starters modelling it in somelike like sketchup will be next to impossible.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              Semmer you just blasted your way back in to the competition with that one, Love it. Sorry for saying only RJB and Finger earlier, really didnt mean to cause offense, i havej ust been seeing them develop all the way along and its been cool. I agree with buba that specs are going to be important in this one.

As to the next challenge, i really dont like it, for starters modelling it in somelike like sketchup will be next to impossible.

Thanks for the apology Immhotep!

I understand what you mean about seeing RJB and finger progress it’s been like watching a flower grow, each update the two models just get better; and they model so fast.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                Hey it seems that I've been forgotten! Maybe I need to fix it by posting some pics and bits!

More here:

Spoiler:
                Landing pics!
                Spoiler:

Gears down

Touchdown!

Shock absorbers give in a bit

And there's the human box; 1mx1mx1,8m, yes the cargohold is big enough for human to walk in.

Quick vid to show how it goes in motion. Sorry, it's a bit fast.
                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta...0100frames.avi

Lets go shooting next, shall we?
                Spoiler:

8 Bombing cannons in 4 turrets plus the chin cannon.. Imagine the firepower.

I tried some bombing effets, but the project went baddly when I was having problems with the actual bolts.
                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta...ts%20test2.avi

More pics
                Spoiler:

note the 3 torpedo tubes on each wingpod.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax2.jpg

Note the various pd turrets around the ship plus few guided rocket ports (stinger sized)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax4.jpg

note the bombing bay and cargobay

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax6.jpg
                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax7.jpg

And here's the candy! Scenes!

And the 11mb cake, which is not a lie...

Enjoy

Nevertheless, it's hard to compete with you RJB and Finger13
                Your model looks great, I can't believe that you did that with Sketchup. It has nice details, not too busy but still has lots of things to look at. That video of yours was great too, nice effects on the engine thrust. I'm quite certain that you know more about rendering and such than I do.

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                finger i was unsure af your model due to its heavy BSG look, but the aft looks great! falling for it!
                Well that's good that you're starting to approve of it haha.

Yeah, I know it doesn't really look like anything from Stargate. But the way that I look at it is it looks human, and compared to the Daedalus it's certainly within the Tau'ri's ability to make these. If I create a suitable backstory, there's no reason why it couldn't be Tau'ri.

Comment

Yeah Semmer seems to know how to do sketchup rendering, im still hoping to get him to do some fleet vids, theres tons of models for him to use
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  11000! green me

Comment

Dam i need to learn to render in a week lol

The quality of the models is amasing

And Finger i think you should scale up the texture slightly you already modeled briliant detail though it seems like your already onto that
                    I personally like it plain. I think I'll make a subtle texture and throw in on there instead of the panneling.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Semmer renders his models in max I believe. He just exports them from sketch-up and renders them in max.

Finger13, take the file into photoshop and lighten up the colors. Make it more grey than a black color. Also, be sure to add bump and spec maps.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                        I would disagree with you their, given what I seen done in Sketchup by people and that it been mostly use to do Architecture in the first place, it was design with that purpose in mind, it should be more than possible to do such a challenge. I have seen loads of castles done in sketchup, the whole of ancient Rome was model in sketchup, give what the challenge requires, it can be done. Given the pure range of stuff and the openness of the challenge I am 100% sure it can be done in any 3d software package out their.

The optional extras could not as far as I know can be done in Sketchup and that why they are optional.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 08 January 2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                          Your model looks great, I can't believe that you did that with Sketchup. It has nice details, not too busy but still has lots of things to look at. That video of yours was great too, nice effects on the engine thrust. I'm quite certain that you know more about rendering and such than I do.

Well that's good that you're starting to approve of it haha.

Yeah, I know it doesn't really look like anything from Stargate. But the way that I look at it is it looks human, and compared to the Daedalus it's certainly within the Tau'ri's ability to make these. If I create a suitable backstory, there's no reason why it couldn't be Tau'ri.
                          Your going to be shocked Finger, my USAF Phoebe is a sketchup model

Spoiler:
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            I would disagree with you their, given what I seen done in Sketchup by people and that it been mostly use to do Architecture in the first place, it was design with that purpose in mind, it should be more than possible to do such a challenge. I have seen loads of castles done in sketchup, the whole of ancient Rome was model in sketchup, give what the challenge requires, it can be done. Given the pure range of stuff and the openness of the challenge I am 100% sure it can be done in any 3d software package out their.

The optional extras could not as far as I know can be done in Sketchup and that why they are optional.
                            I see how this is complex but it requires some individuals to be more creative than they normally are. I believe it's relatively easy once you come up with a story and they a purpose from your monolithic structure.
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                              I see how this is complex but it requires some individuals to be more creative than they normally are. I believe it's relatively easy once you come up with a story and they a purpose from your monolithic structure.
                              ...like a kid with a cardboard box after christmas.

sigpic

Comment

All of my models are sketchup, I think Semmer, Bo and Extrenix have done the best out of sketchup so far, with zake too. Then me. But it is a genuinely great program.
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X