Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

come on the rest of us are competing for third

Thats a point we should have gold silver and bronze gate which you can add to your sig so for example semer would have a gold sort of to keep score (though no point diong the silver bronze for the first one becaue there wa only three of us in it

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Its not about the competition really, that’s just another aspect, it’s about giving you a target to design. The competition just pushes you along to get it done otherwise; you may leave the design on the back burner and do something else.

Immotep could have phrased it so that it didn't have the feeling he was stating that the rest of us are crap.
      However we can all really agree with his point that RJB and Finger have produced really great designs; I personally prefer RJB's lantean bomber.

Hopefully this thread will have many rounds and we can all continue to enjoy creating our models here. Isn’t Knowles heading up the next round?

Gosh, reading that back, sounds like I should have asked for world peace…too positive! lol

sigpic

Comment

Exactly, its all about the end results of the model.

I think I'm joining up next round too
        Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
          Its not about the competition really, that’s just another aspect, it’s about giving you a target to design. The competition just pushes you along to get it done otherwise; you may leave the design on the back burner and do something else.

Immotep could have phrased it so that it didn't have the feeling he was stating that the rest of us are crap.
          However we can all really agree with his point that RJB and Finger have produced really great designs; I personally prefer RJB's lantean bomber.

Hopefully this thread will have many rounds and we can all continue to enjoy creating our models here. Isn’t Knowles heading up the next round?

Gosh, reading that back, sounds like I should have asked for world peace…too positive! lol
          I agree totaly the scoreing is a bit of fun people always perform better in a freindly competetive enviroment than they would otherwise.

Comment

Spec's are important in this round too...with so many high class models the spec's will be really important in seperating them out. I suggest once the model is done those involved take some time to write some good backstory to the ship and spec's.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

which is why i'm waiting to see EATG before i write in my specs.....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I've started mine, already over a page long but its a WIP.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  I have no idea who will win out of finger and RJB. Those two ships are both stunning, its some of the best modelling i have seen, this thread really has brought out the best in some the GW modellers.
                  Yeah and it's only the Third Challenge too!

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                  Exactly, its all about the end results of the model.

I think I'm joining up next round too
                  Yep same here, I believe I gave the reins to Knowles for the Fourth Challenge guidelines

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                  JUST RJB and Finger?.......
                  No, You, Merlin, Eps (....... sorry if I miss you) too.
                  sigpic
                  ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Yes I am heading up the next challenge. The one I got planned at the moment will be different from the rest so far but I hope it will generate some original ideas and models. Through the challenge will provide people with a boarder range of things they could model and should generate more diverse range of models, certainly room for plenty of ideas to be produce.

Comment

what is the next challenge going to be?i'm gonna be away from my computer for a bit starting Monday, but i'd like to try and be able to sketch some ideas out for when i get back.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

As requested here the next challenge idea, it will base on this certainly through some of the guidelines may be change if people do not like them.

Challenge 4:

The Stargate activates and a camera doom in on the event horizon, a SG team comes through it,
                        the gate shuts down and the camera rotates 180 degrees and you see a single unnatural structure or object or anything you want.
                        This structure can be anything you want it to be, an arch way, to monolith to a pyramid, a diamond, a temple, a floating alien whale but it must be alien and mysterious and original.

It must not be
                        - Recognizable from any aliens we have encountered before. Originality people.
                        - a weapon
                        - city, base, village , or ship.

What it must be

- It must be a single object/structure, no cities, no bases, no towns and defiantly no medieval villages; we see enough of those in the show.
                        - Mysterious
                        - Alien origin
                        - The model must tell the story, if you find your having to explain the structure, check that your model is giving the intending meaning over, descriptions will not be taken into account during the marking.

Optional extras

Creating environment (hill, trees, sky, moon, anything but it must be part of landscape/setting for the structure.) I will allow this to be done in either 2d or 3d.
                        The above setting is alien looking and not a Canadian forest.

You have got to the 15 of February 12 am GMT to get you entries in or until I get online and post a post with all entries in aka I will not be checking exact times that you post final render, as long is up by the time I check.

I think the rules are clear any questions please ask, and have fun and get modeling.
                        The above is a rough guidance only if people want elements change and their support for those them they will be change. Personally I think it fine as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          As requested here the next challenge idea, it will base on this certainly through some of the guidelines may be change if people do not like them.

The above is a rough guidance only if people want elements change and their support for those them they will be change. Personally I think it fine as it is.
                          Personally I think that it'd be cool if it could be a weapon. Keep all of the alien mysteriousness, but why not allow it to be some monolithic weapon?

I'm pretty sure that I won't be entering this next one though, I'm starting college and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Sounds like an awesome challenge though, definitely original.

Comment

knowles2 - If it's mysterious and alien I find it hard to believe that we would know what it's purpose is. Just look at Atlantis when they found the personal shield device, I would have never guess what it was for by looking at it.

With that being said I do like the over all idea.

Ok, here is a little side thing from me since I'm taking a break from modeling today.
                            Here is the start to a deck plan for my bomber.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                            Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

This is a big picture haha, I condensed them all into one picture.

Spoiler:

That centre platform that's lowered down is the cargo hold's floor. The other way to get stuff out of the cargo hold is to just shove it out the back. There is a second door that opens upwards and would allow for cargo to be airdropped/jettisoned. Or it could hold a Horizon, and jettison it out of the rear.

I am done modeling it, I like the current level of detail, now I have to figure out how I'll texture it. I did a test texture and didn't like it. I think I might lose the typical plating textures and opt for something simpler, or maybe if I can figure out how to make it look good then that will work.

Anyway,

Spoiler:

Do you guys like the texture? Have any suggestions? The rear of the engine pods would be the dark colour that the top engine pod currently has. I think that it looks stupid, but I haven't figured out the ins and outs of texturing. Actually, I don't think I've even figured out the basics. Gah!

I personally like it plain. I think I'll make a subtle texture and throw in on there instead of the panneling.
                              Last edited by Finger13; 07 January 2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Hey it seems that I've been forgotten! Maybe I need to fix it by posting some pics and bits!

More here:

Spoiler:
                                Landing pics!
                                Spoiler:

Gears down

Touchdown!

Shock absorbers give in a bit

And there's the human box; 1mx1mx1,8m, yes the cargohold is big enough for human to walk in.

Quick vid to show how it goes in motion. Sorry, it's a bit fast.
                                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta...0100frames.avi

Lets go shooting next, shall we?
                                Spoiler:

8 Bombing cannons in 4 turrets plus the chin cannon.. Imagine the firepower.

I tried some bombing effets, but the project went baddly when I was having problems with the actual bolts.
                                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta...ts%20test2.avi

More pics
                                Spoiler:

note the 3 torpedo tubes on each wingpod.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax2.jpg

Note the various pd turrets around the ship plus few guided rocket ports (stinger sized)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax4.jpg

note the bombing bay and cargobay

http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax6.jpg
                                http://koti.mbnet.fi/semmer/Roipetta/CB/CBmax7.jpg

And here's the candy! Scenes!

And the 11mb cake, which is not a lie...

Enjoy

Nevertheless, it's hard to compete with you RJB and Finger13

Comment

Working...
                                X