No announcement yet.

Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but what i mean is, we finally can get to use SG tech in, say, different ways, like beaming out missiles into space instead of a ship-based launch, and other ways. like permanent stealth in the common spectra, like IR, via a russian-stealth derived mechanism (they invented a ring that does bend light around it, only not visible light)

Comment

Looks like a good start Dr.lee

I got an idea of my own and looking at the other ideas it will be overall a different approach. I hope to have something to show in the next few days.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
      Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Spoiler:

Quick ship idea, may continue with this design or go in a different direction and turn this into a transport ship.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
          not sure yet.... might have the thrusters static, but with moving covers that come over the thrusters and hyper drive ports when the stealth system is activated.

I'm also looking at having the bridge in the middle of the ship, rather than on the outside.....
          As I said, would recommend use of inertia-less drives, as eve ion thrusters can be detected inside a solar system.

Covers won't do much to mask the thruster plumes, which realistically, you will have to use to maneuver terminally.

My current idea is to not cloak the ship at all. It's actually quite easy to not see things in space with the naked eye, so having as few light sources coming off a ship could make it invisible unless it's between you and a light source.

I'm not 100% sure what it is the SG sensors detect.... but until i'm told different, i'm going to assume it's heat and radiation. My idea is to absorb the heat and radiation before it leaves the ship and store it internally. This way it gives the ship a specific time period it can stay stealthy for.

A quick (but BIG) image of what i've got atm
          Spoiler:

The blue box is 150m by 75m... and the small yellow box is a 6 foot person... so you have an idea of the size
          Mas Effect style, nice.

Heat and radiation... yes, but even the reflected light form a ship is detectable. A cloak is really the only way to get up close, but if you just want to linger in the outer solar system and send miniature probes.

Entropy traps are the best way to go in this case:

http://eg.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=o...=4a31122b879b4

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          but what i mean is, we finally can get to use SG tech in, say, different ways, like beaming out missiles into space instead of a ship-based launch, and other ways. like permanent stealth in the common spectra, like IR, via a russian-stealth derived mechanism (they invented a ring that does bend light around it, only not visible light)
          Don't forget the even more out there propositions: matter to energy beam conversion for propulsion and offensive uses, direct kinetic transfer using beaming (orbital kinetic strike levels of destruction without any kinetic harpoon), and last but no least: beam based railgun, using only the teleporer's inherent ability to give object a certain velocity, it can send projectile wizing in any direction without any gun or barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            As I said, would recommend use of inertia-less drives, as eve ion thrusters can be detected inside a solar system.

Covers won't do much to mask the thruster plumes, which realistically, you will have to use to maneuver terminally.
            A few of my smaller ships use a Jumoper derived propulsion system.... would it be stealthy enough to use in a system/Around an enemy fleet??

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            Mass Effect style, nice.

Heat and radiation... yes, but even the reflected light form a ship is detectable. A cloak is really the only way to get up close, but if you just want to linger in the outer solar system and send miniature probes.
            You know... i was considering having some kind of Probe(s) used for long range recon in a solar system

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

For this contest I'm going to do both a unmanned and manned prototype for my stealth system. So this is just part 1 (The unmanned prototype).

Ok on to how my stealth system works. So far most people have been taking the approach of making there ships hard to detect by masking the different energies they give off. Instead of trying to hide my ship I'm aiming to make it blend in or in other words give it a disguise. The ship/s have massive arrays of holo emitters which allows it to take on forms of natural objects (asteroids) or even enemy ships. On top of that it uses a dampening field to mask most of it's own energies while generating fields to match the power and heat given off by the ship it's mimicking.

Right now I have about 2-2.5 hours in on this model and may still add some more detail. Once this ship is done I'll move onto the manned version and I may do some animations of the ships in action.

PS the design is Ancient.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                For this contest I'm going to do both a unmanned and manned prototype for my stealth system. So this is just part 1 (The unmanned prototype).

Ok on to how my stealth system works. So far most people have been taking the approach of making there ships hard to detect by masking the different energies they give off. Instead of trying to hide my ship I'm aiming to make it blend in or in other words give it a disguise. The ship/s have massive arrays of holo emitters which allows it to take on forms of natural objects (asteroids) or even enemy ships. On top of that it uses a dampening field to mask most of it's own energies while generating fields to match the power and heat given off by the ship it's mimicking.

Right now I have about 2-2.5 hours in on this model and may still add some more detail. Once this ship is done I'll move onto the manned version and I may do some animations of the ships in action.

PS the design is Ancient.
                2.5 hours? I think I speak for everyone when I envy you hahaha. That's ridiculous.

Cool design, it already looks half done lol.

Comment

It is insane that you work that quickly! How do you manage to do all that in 2 and a half hours? You get the award for model machine man!

sigpic

Comment

Thats is just sick! awesome! 2.5h? I hope you do this for a living, becouse it will make you rich
                    sigpic

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by IMDB
                    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                    Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                      2.5 hours? I think I speak for everyone when I envy you hahaha. That's ridiculous.

Cool design, it already looks half done lol.
                      I just feel that the front end still needs a bit more detail work. Also remember that I'm doing an unmanned (this model) and a manned version so this is just the first of two models.

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                      It is insane that you work that quickly! How do you manage to do all that in 2 and a half hours? You get the award for model machine man!
                      I had the idea the whole day while I was at work. I started on the ship after dinner which was about 6pm and finished what you see by 8:30pm. Things went fast on this one since a lot of the ideas for the detail used came from my Ancient bomber. Also I save all my complex detail parts separate to reuse on other models which really helps. I'm building up a nice collection of random parts.

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                      Thats is just sick! awesome! 2.5h? I hope you do this for a living, becouse it will make you rich
                      I wish. There are a lot of people out there a lot better then myself.

Comment

[snip]
                        I wish. There are a lot of people out there a lot better then myself.
                        i want proof!
                        sigpic

Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by IMDB
                        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                        Hehe

Comment

Also I save all my complex detail parts separate to reuse on other models which really helps. I'm building up a nice collection of random parts.
                          That's a good idea..... i might do that myself...

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Changed my concept...
                            Spoiler:

It's early in the project, I wanted it to be more sub than plane. It will have chameleon armour with the ability to change colour to match enviroment.

I also want to give it Batman/ Voyager armour, hence why there are two versions in the image. I have a few reasons behind this:

the ship will fire its engines while at the edge of a system then close all armour covering all windows, engines, weapons...everything! It becomes a heavily armoured pod.

As everything is covered the light sources from the ship will be very low and as engines are off and covered by the armour they will be nearly impossible to detect.

As the armour, when depolyed will be covering the entire ship the Chameleon armour will be effective for the whole ship. ( including the red hull lines.)

sigpic

Comment

A few of my smaller ships use a Jumoper derived propulsion system.... would it be stealthy enough to use in a system/Around an enemy fleet??

You know... i was considering having some kind of Probe(s) used for long range recon in a solar system
                              Well I've long entertained the idea that the blue glow from the engines is really a heat exchange system, and given on screen evidence, yes, it would be stealthy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                                i want proof!
                                http://forums.cgsociety.org/

That's a good idea..... i might do that myself...
                                I've been using that idea since I worked on my Daedalus and have been build on it since then.

Comment

Working...
                                X