No announcement yet.

wars closer to home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW Tep, Rome is only the heart of Catholicism its not the heart of Christianit
    Historically it was. And while new form of christianity brnached off, christianity started in rome and like it or not, the bible was editted in rome, so all christanity stems from there...
    I'm not saying communism is evil, how ignorant do I look I'm just saying that the governments of those two countries have violated human rights and committed atrocities on a massive scale. Sure, Rome, Britain, America, etc. have all done some bad things, but I was just pointing out that it wasn't entirely childish to say "China and Russia are evil," because to a certain extent, they fit the definition (maybe not Russia so much anymore, though).
    Well Im aware that all nations have a chequered moral history, including the members of NATO and the west in general, to say Russia and China are evil out of the dozens of nations is IMO childish. On those terms would Italy, Zimbabwe, South Africa, DR of Congo also be entirelty evil. To label nations evil is not fair, i have labelled the US evil but in reality its not, its just misled repeatedly...as hav those nations.
    Communism was never designed for russia or china, in fact communism could only have worked in a large ecnomically powerful country, like Britain or America at the time. Marxist Leninism was what created the russia of the soviet era. Communism and even marxism in theory was never evil, its just that the practical application of it requires and therefore creates the evils that have tainted it
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
      Historically it was. And while new form of christianity brnached off, christianity started in rome and like it or not, the bible was editted in rome, so all christanity stems from there...
      Christianity didn't start in Rome. It was adopted by the Roman empire which was one of the reasons why it spread but it didn't actually start in Rome. The Bible also wasn't 'edited' in Rome. At some point the separate books were compiled in what is now known as the Bible however to say it was edited isn't factually correct.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        Christianity didn't start in Rome. It was adopted by the Roman empire which was one of the reasons why it spread but it didn't actually start in Rome. The Bible also wasn't 'edited' in Rome. At some point the separate books were compiled in what is now known as the Bible however to say it was edited isn't factually correct.
        The Bible has been edited dozens of times, actually...
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          The Bible has been edited dozens of times, actually...
          Its been translated from one language to another not 'edited'. Edited implies that things have been purposefully changed. The fact is any difference between the earliest transcripts of the books in the bible and the current English version is very small. Before the Bible was compiled there were many books e.g. the 66 in the Bible and the Apocrypha, the early Christians compiled what is now the Bible from those books.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
            Its been translated from one language to another not 'edited'. Edited implies that things have been purposefully changed. The fact is any difference between the earliest transcripts of the books in the bible and the current English version is very small. Before the Bible was compiled there were many books e.g. the 66 in the Bible and the Apocrypha, the early Christians compiled what is now the Bible from those books.
            There are several examples of the Church editing the Bible... we went over it quite heavily on my last European History course as an example of how religious materiel can be used to influence modern thinking (aka Bible is edited... people read new Bible... people follow inserted idea...). Very interesting debate between the Baptists and the Catholics in the class...
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

There are several examples of the Church editing the Bible... we went over it quite heavily on my last European History course as an example of how religious materiel can be used to influence modern thinking (aka Bible is edited... people read new Bible... people follow inserted idea...). Very interesting debate between the Baptists and the Catholics in the class...
              I've also read much about whether the Bible has been edited but if you compare the modern version (e.g. the NIV version) it is incredibly close to the most ancient transcripts of the separate books.

Its not really the thread for it but I'm quite curious to hear some of these examples of the Bible being edited.

Comment

Oh wow once again something minut I said was taken to heart, I meant it as a quick snardy joke but most people don't seem to understand basic humour. In most TV program (Stargate included) Russia and China are pretty much the evil humans on Earth in all these programs. Seriosly it was a joke don't take everything to heart for god sake.

Lets get back on topic guys because so far its gone from using stargate tech on Earth to the evil deeds of countries to religion, We are so far of course right here .
                if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

I'm not saying communism is evil, how ignorant do I look
                  Very.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Little off topic arent we?

Comment

I doubt we will see shielded tanks. I do think other countries are going to notice the invinsible barrier. Doing that would be like telling the entire world of the stargate programm, with all consequences.

Comment

Yes, and remind me again how telling the world you developed shielding technology is like telling the world that the American Airforce has been exploring other worlds through a metal ring and fighting aliens in spaceships?
                        Originally posted by Craig Charles
                        "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

why does everyone think so difficult? lets start with railguns, yea. those things are real, but UNFORTUNATELY, its a one shot gun, as the barrel melts. just use some gate tech, say we developed a new alloy, and before you know, america is pounding at iraq with railguns. a railtank would do terrible damage.

"look, a massive army of 10000 tanks"
                          "y'now, thats exactly how many rounds we have"
                          * opens fire*
                          * enemy is still 250KM away, while being completely vapourised*

that be great .
                          not to mention, the ceramic polymer. better carbonfibre alloys. a new, better jet fighter, putting gate technology to use for, well, lets say, SCRAMJETS? . use a kind of laser, instead of fuel. tadaa, fighter, mach 10, no fuel needs[only power], pounding at enemies with railguns, taking out incoming missiles with a defensive laser, while evading all flak and AA missiles, taking out enemy jets, before they know you're there, your ceramic polymer armour largely absorbing the heat from friction, while you're stealthed. imagine. and using replicode for an AI, putting every best jetfighter in the world to shame. no G-force problem. tadaa.

and THATS realistic. no "shielded tanks" or "cloaked tanks" or "plasma weapons"[which, in reality, only works like a very short range plasma torch], or something like uber naquahdah/trinium/carbon supertough armour. for such a jet, you wont even need inertial dampeners!.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                            LOL and you clearly have no idea about foreign affairs, diplomacy or history. IF your american, the evilness of a nation should be judged against the USA, at the bottom of the ladder.
                            /reported to big brother :-p

And to further down, the bible was edited at nicea, basically they decided which books of the bible and torah would be 'canon'

Comment

Lol to above, TPTB doing a bible version of BAMSR would be brilliant. Jesus and Moses get new weapons to fight the evil Roman empire but need help to implode Rome.

Anyway there are early shield/forcefield tech in prototype stages now as new tank armour obviosly nothing like a bubble shield but with potential.

We have railguns Britain and America I know have prototypes and Britain and America is looking at implementing them into future naval vessels. The weapons have great potential and have been proven that a small railgun can peirce through Dorchester armour (Best armour in the world).

But with the Stargate tech just imagine what we could do. We could destroy enemy airforces conventualy literally from our chair with drone weapons. City shields to protect our cities (I would love to see one over London). Planes equiped with Wraith beam buffers so when we see terrorist training camps we can just scope them up. Obsolete the Black hawk and Lynx helicopters and replace them for puddlejumpers or a Earth jumper (Air superiority air transports would be brilliant). No Radar meaning the enemy couldn't use Radar seeking missles on us they wouldn't be able to destroy our sensors. Bio naval ships and Bio planes so when planes are damaged in combat just leave them in a hanger for a few days and all fixed.

Also equip all the equipment with self destruct devices so noone we don't desire to get the tech will get it.

Also no more wars over oil as it would be obsolete and even then we can still beam it all out and to the northern hemasphere (And a few select southern hemosphere countries).
                              if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                /reported to big brother :-p

And to further down, the bible was edited at nicea, basically they decided which books of the bible and torah would be 'canon'
                                Thats not edited though. Basically the church leaders decided which of the books should be in the Bible based on;

# First, the books must have apostolic authority-- that is, they must have been written either by the apostles themselves, who were eyewitnesses to what they wrote about, or by associates of the apostles.
                                # Second, there was the criterion of conformity to what was called the "rule of faith." In other words, was the document congruent with the basic Christian tradition that the church recognized as normative.
                                # Third, there was the criterion of whether a document had enjoyed continuous acceptance and usage by the church at large.

The Bible today is like 99% the same as the earliest transcripts of the separate books.

But yes I agree this is off topic lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X