Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or is Asgard tech not really advanced enough...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cup of tea, anyone?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      Cup of tea, anyone?
      i could go for some earl grey!

Comment

What the Asgard should do is this:
        1. Copy(not transfer) their minds into machines
        2. Get in to a Time-dialation device
        3. Make time much faster.
        4. When the Machine Asgards are done solving their cloning problem they'll just fix their normal bodies, gather the real bodies memories for the time that has passed, remove the bio-mind, insert the machine-mind in their bodies.

Not only have they solved their cloning problem, they'll also have new weapons, shields and ships thousands of years more advanced then what they have now.

Currently the Asgards problem is that they are unable to think outside the box. They've relied on their technology for thousands of years and had no need to improvise, they just improve their current stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          What the Asgard should do is this:
          1. Copy(not transfer) their minds into machines
          2. Get in to a Time-dialation device
          3. Make time much faster.
          4. When the Machine Asgards are done solving their cloning problem they'll just fix their normal bodies, gather the real bodies memories for the time that has passed, remove the bio-mind, insert the machine-mind in their bodies.

Not only have they solved their cloning problem, they'll also have new weapons, shields and ships thousands of years more advanced then what they have now.

Currently the Asgards problem is that they are unable to think outside the box. They've relied on their technology for thousands of years and had no need to improvise, they just improve their current stuff.
          but if it is an exact copy, then isnt the copy a sentient being too? what if the bio-mind doesnt want to leave the body for the machine mind?

Comment

What if the machine minds can't improvise at all? If they're recorded into a data storage unit, maybe they can't actually 'move' - all cerebral activity might be suspended pending reinsertion into a physical body. After all, if the recorded mind was a solution there'd be no problem, since the meat part of the Asgard would be entirely redundant.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Sy~
              Thats a load of crap and you know it... Lets go back a little bit, to a certain "Most advanced new ship in the fleet" The O'Neil.. you know the one that Carter decided to blow up in hyperspace to destroy the two Replicator controled Asgard ships. You cant say that the Asgard arnt developing new tech just because they're cloned...
              "no new generation of Asgard that might think differently about stuff. "
              Thats a load of Horse dumped crap.
              See quote below:

What aAnubiSs is saying is a result of what I said before, they're cloning and lack of new minds will lead to standstill in the development of new things. The O'Neill was just a improvement of their current vessels, it only hold a bit more advanced (read as upgraded) technology the Asgard already had. They didn't design a new weapon/ship from scratch to defeat the replicators. So as some other already said, they are beginning to lack the ability to think in new ways, that's why they need the humans so much, since humans are capable of thinking in a different way. You might even say that the Asgard are loosing/lost their ability to adapt to new situations and this doesn't happen at once, this takes centuries or even millenia to occur.
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Would it be possible to put a human intellect in an Asgard body? Then add all the Asgard knowledge and voila, you have a supersmart human able to think in ways the Asgard can't.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                  but if it is an exact copy, then isnt the copy a sentient being too? what if the bio-mind doesnt want to leave the body for the machine mind?
                  Yes it would be sentient, but transfering all the original-host' memories for the time the Android-Asgard spent in time dialation makes them the same person, just with more knowledge.

Comment

Would it be possible to put a human intellect in an Asgard body? Then add all the Asgard knowledge and voila, you have a supersmart human able to think in ways the Asgard can't.
                    I think that a human mind can't handle all Asgard knowledge, and who would give up a human body for an Asgard body

Besides it would still be treating the symptoms instead of the source.
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I wonder if all that tech isn't at least partly to blame for the demise of the Asgard.(Let's face it, smart or no, they are a dying species.)

What I mean is, perhaps the refining processes for making their tech is detrimental to their health. We know some of the ill effects that can be linked to our industrial way of life, the cumulative effects from heavy metals, pesticides/herbicides, destruction of the ozone, of the web of life, and who knows how many other factors come into play?

Maybe the Asgard are what we will be like in another thousand years - providing we can survive our own advancement, that is....
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

The Asgard used to be able to make a multiple Goa'uld Landing platforms and Ha'Taks disappear but now they get raped by Anubis's Ships
                        If you can read this your computer is malfunctioning

Comment

Originally posted by Tyr
                          advanced enough is entirely relative to what you are trying to do. thay are already advanced enough to: mess with DNA, Travel FTL, clone, beamy transport, holo visions, huge weapons/ships etc etc...

so really they are advanced enough in many respects that other races are trying to advance in.

their problem now is that each time they advance more the replicators eat all the new tech and the asgard are back at square one. they probably made a concious effort to make much of their way of life back to a point where the replicators will ignore tham as inferior tech so they can concentrate on sorting out the clone problem.
                          think about it. if you were a tech starved replicator would you want some yummy neuroconnected ship or a bland glowy rune controled ship? the asgard are probably far far more capable than we have seen so far they just chose to live well within their means for the time being...
                          Thought provoking topic.
                          I think this post has hit the nail on the head.
                          We did not question the Asgard technological supremacy until they got their asses kicked by Anubis's "Ancient" technology and worn down by relentless replicators seeking them out because they are the most advanced.
                          Genetic Memory Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeHead
                            Thought provoking topic.
                            I think this post has hit the nail on the head.
                            We did not question the Asgard technological supremacy until they got their asses kicked by Anubis's "Ancient" technology and worn down by relentless replicators seeking them out because they are the most advanced.
                            Bah, theyre plenty advanced.

And they have funky ships...

In all seriousness though, We have seen a very limited amount of intel into the asgard. I can only name 5 or 6 of the asgard ... Maybe once they have re-established themselves we will learn more ... and see just how advanced they really are.

(I'm probably going to make a huge fool of myself here, but...) When did the Asgard ever get "their asses kicked by Anubis's 'Ancient' tech..." ? I do recall Osiris blowing up Thor and his ship, but also making a quick retreat when Freyr came with better ships... ? (One of which is a part of my signature)

Jerome

Comment

Well, the first post of this thread is right, there are technologies that, if put into use, would greatly increase the proficiency of the Asgard in general. I believe the Asgard are perfectly capable of doing this.

On another note, and in response to the posts regarding the Asgard technological state in comparison to the Goa'uld.

The Asgard can take on the Goa'uld any day of the week, thier technology greatly exceeds anything that we could hope for in the next hundred years. The reason the Asgard failed against Anubis was because Anubis was using Ancient knowledge and technology, he was cheating, we cannot consider him "Goa'uld," in the traditional sense. The reason the replicators were able to defeat the Asgard was not because the replicators were more powerful than they but because the replicators were given the power to adapt, like the Borg. The Asgard had the means to stop the replicators, in the sense that they were on the right track with the Kiron Pathway Disruptor, however they did not have the knowledge or technology. If I was in a war with an island of creatures that were too small to fight with armies, and to widespread to fight from the air, one course of action may be a nuclear strike. A nuclear strike could desimate the whole area instantly killing all of them. So I know what I need to do, build a nuke, I know how to build a nuke, but I can't, because I don't have the parts that I need, I don't normally keep weapons grade plutonium in my basement. The Asgard were in a similar situation, they knew what they needed to do, and they had the parts, but they didn't know how to do it, that is where the Ancient knowledge helped out.

The Asgard are very advanced, we yearn for even a miniscule slice of their technology, simply because they choose not to emply a neural network or refuse to do away with their push buttons, is no reason to consider them "not advanced enough," we were not able to defeat Anubis or the Replicators by our selves, we needed the help of Ancient technology, we defeated the Goa'uld, but not by killing them all, their Jaffa turned on them when we siezed the temple at Dakara, plenty of times we have lost in battle, so are we also , "not advanced enough?"

The point is, who are we to say who is advanced enough and who isn't, who has better technology and who doesn't, who are we to make desicions like that, the Ancients may consider us not advanced enough, and a race even more advanced than they would consider them not advanced enough. Personally, I see saying that the Asgard are not advanced enough is disrespectful, look at all the stuff they have helped us with, they gave us a whole smattering of technology for the Daedalus. They are thousands of years more advanced than us, and we have the audacity to say they are not advanced enough. it would be like a mosquito telling us that we weren't advanced enough, we would probably be shocked, "excuse me, look at you guys, you don't even wear clothes, and for all we know you can't even think! (stunned in disbelief)" That would probably be the reaction of some people, so you go to the Asgard and tell them:

"You aren't advanced enough, we will come back and meet you guys again in a couple hundred years to see if you have progressed enough to re-open diplomatic relations."

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime View Post
                                I dont think that Asgard tech is at the level it SHOULD be. Howcome the Belistner (sp) has doors that open when you push a big freaking button on the side of the wall? Howcome the computers are activated by moving around stones? Why bother with screens at all, why not just make use of neural links?

We know that some races use neural links, and with the Asgard intellect (we KNOW they understand how brains work; they transfer consciousness on a daily basis), it should be old hat to attach the brain to a computer.

Why even bother with speech, why not just wire up all the Asgard into a wireless AsgardNet? No more need to confer and waste the few seconds they spend convening!

Why bother???

first, the reason the beliskner had the "big freaking buttons" were to manually open the doors. there is an airlock so u have to push a button to open that. and the buttons on the inside could be used for containment reasons. when jack and tealc are walking through the ship, there are no doors closed except for the one thor is in to protect him and the replicators were in the other rooms with the doors closed. plus if they didnt have doors every 30 feet or so, if there was a hull breach, everyone or everything would die because they wouldnt be able to seal of the section of the ship that has the hull breach. it is the same kind of thing in naval ships. if they didnt have hatches and there was a leak, the whole ship would flood.

about the visual interface. if you notice when hermoid is on the daedalus and doing stuff on his nice asgard curved pad, his back is to the veiwing screen. so that would say they have some sort of nerualinterface with the little stones they are moving around. i think the visual interface is for humans to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X