What can beat the Andromeda Ascendant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    Didn't we cover this in the "Pimp my Jumper" thread?
    I was thinking something like The Scorpions' car from Grease.

Comment

"If you have seen them then you know that it is the Magog world ship, that is the only ship capable of destroying Andromeda."

That is not true at all. Any Pyron (sp) fireship is easily a match for the Andromeda or any Highguard warship (300 years ago, now likely more than a match), Hunt said so himself. The most powerful Highguard ship is the WRAITH OF ACHILLES class, more firepower, much larger ship than the Andromeda.

Not to mention a couple of those Knights cruisers would take out the Andromeda. Or even some Nietzchien ships.

Singularity weapons will eat any ship alive in the Andromeda sci-fi universe.

Manuverabilility of Andromeda? Get real.

I watched all the 5 seasons of the show (what a stinker season 5 was btw).

Speed of beams? LOL. Look, NONE of Andromeda's weapons appear REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE SPEED OF LIGHT, along with Andromeda itself, whatever those made up specs say. Those missiles looks slow arse, same speed as the one's fired from a 304. CGI. CGI.

Prove to me any of the weapons on the Andromeda or Andromeda itself is remotely close to the speed of light? They ain't, just the made up specs say so. Because the CGI sure do not show it. Proof=the show itself.

Beams in any sci-fi approach or at the speed of light. There is no way any ship in any sci-fi show is going to out run beam weapons in normal none-hyperspace combat. That never happens.

Once in hyperspace etc...the weapons still start hitting, i.e. Star trek (Borg cube chasing the Enteprise, travelling at over warp 9.6).

At best, I would say Andromeda=Hive.

It is not the most powerful ship in the Highguard fleet and certainly is not most powerful ship in that universe.

The outcome: Andromeda will likely shoot down all of 304's missiles but the beams and the railguns will take care of Andromeda well before the Andromeda can take out the shields. 304's beams can take out a ship the size of Andromeda (700 meters) in 2 shots, say even 4 shots...Andromeda is destroyed in 4 seconds once the beams start firing.

Comment

Read the Daedalus vs Andromeda thread, it was stated on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
          "If you have seen them then you know that it is the Magog world ship, that is the only ship capable of destroying Andromeda."

That is not true at all. Any Pyron (sp) fireship is easily a match for the Andromeda or any Highguard warship (300 years ago, now likely more than a match), Hunt said so himself. The most powerful Highguard ship is the WRAITH OF ACHILLES class, more firepower, much larger ship than the Andromeda.

Not to mention a couple of those Knights cruisers would take out the Andromeda. Or even some Nietzchien ships.

Singularity weapons will eat any ship alive in the Andromeda sci-fi universe.

Manuverabilility of Andromeda? Get real.

I watched all the 5 seasons of the show (what a stinker season 5 was btw).

Speed of beams? LOL. Look, NONE of Andromeda's weapons appear REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE SPEED OF LIGHT, along with Andromeda itself, whatever those made up specs say. Those missiles looks slow arse, same speed as the one's fired from a 304. CGI. CGI.

Prove to me any of the weapons on the Andromeda or Andromeda itself is remotely close to the speed of light? They ain't, just the made up specs say so. Because the CGI sure do not show it. Proof=the show itself.

Beams in any sci-fi approach or at the speed of light. There is no way any ship in any sci-fi show is going to out run beam weapons in normal none-hyperspace combat. That never happens.

Once in hyperspace etc...the weapons still start hitting, i.e. Star trek (Borg cube chasing the Enteprise, travelling at over warp 9.6).

At best, I would say Andromeda=Hive.

It is not the most powerful ship in the Highguard fleet and certainly is not most powerful ship in that universe.

The outcome: Andromeda will likely shoot down all of 304's missiles but the beams and the railguns will take care of Andromeda well before the Andromeda can take out the shields. 304's beams can take out a ship the size of Andromeda (700 meters) in 2 shots, say even 4 shots...Andromeda is destroyed in 4 seconds once the beams start firing.
          First of the Andromeda is just a little of a mile and a half long and 826 meters from slipstream core room to Command.

And your right. The DMC class ships out class the Glorious Class Heavy Crusiers anyday. But if you have seen all 5 seasons, you knwo that the only 2 in the universe were destroyed.

Also if you have seen all five seasons then you know, that Andromeda led the whole Nietzchien fleet back to Seeffra and took them on head to head until trance's sun could destroy them and the abis.

the reallty is, there arent awhole lot of ships that could even touch Andromeda. No stargate, no Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, anything.
          What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ahh I see my predictions about people not bothering to read the thread have been proven true. I'm shocked, no really...

Here's the free encore, now with extra special "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST" sauce

Originally posted by Myself, explaining this this first time
            Outlining just why the Andromeda is such a pain in the ass again would probably be a good idea.

-It moves and evades at fractional light speeds in combat: None of that "sit still and shoot the other guy until he blows up" stuff. If your ship can't keep up with the andromeda it'll be at a disadvantage. This is one of the points that kills a lot of visual sci-fi verses because they tend to always depict combat as "sit still or slowly wallow around and shoot the other guy"

-It can attack you from extremely long ranges: This is another point that really hurts televised sci-fi verses where in addition to the wallowing, most combat tends to be shown at very short "naked eye" visual type ranges. The Andromeda on the other hand could quite credibly attack you in Earth orbit from Mars or further. Missiles range anywhere from several light seconds to several light minutes to multiple AUs in rage for extended range varients. Using fighters it's even feasible the Andromeda could attack you from another starsystem, maybe even another galaxy, as it's fighters use the same type of FTL "slipstream" drive as it does. Obviously though it's going to need to have some general idea of where you are before it can sick fighters on you.

It's got considerable firepower: The ship's most commonly used weapons are 1KG kinetic kill missiles that are fired 8 per second from 40 launch tubes at velocities of around .90 -.95c. It's also got larger more powerful strike missiles and AP cannons that fire anti matter at you at .99c. Given their size, speed and agility as well as jamming and stealth measures the missile weapons are very difficult for a lot of potential competitors to handle. Just absorbing them all on the genre favorite "shield" type system basically amounts to conceeding that your ship will spend the entire battle in what's essentially a reletivistic sandblaster. If your ship's been shown in the past to take damage from things like bumping into asteroids or other ships at low speeds or having shuttles crash into it at similarly low speeds, it's probably not going to enjoy literally hundreds of missiles smashing into it every second at extremely high speeds.

-It's quite well defended: In addition to evasion, stealth and active jamming measures the Andromeda also makes use of a multi layered defence consisting of a CAP of fighters and drones, ship launched counter missiles, ship and fighter/drone based point defence lasers and a GFG anti gravity device that lets it shunt away and or alter the angle of incoming objects that can be affected by gravity. Keep in mind also that the GFG system is capable of, and designed to, deal with the reletivistic remains of plasmified missiles and even intact missiles to some degree. As a result if your ship is planning on tagging the Andromeda with a slow moving blob or missile of some kind with very little speed or potential thrust behind it your ship is going to need a new plan.

-It's controlled by a sentient AI: While the Andromeda is captained by a human the ship itself is basically alive with all ship functions being controlled by a sentient artificial intelligence. This basically means that any factors concerning crew reaction times to any sort of sudden event become a lot less important than they are with ships crewed entirely by living beings. It also means that the ship can still fight even if the entire living crew is dead or compromised somehow.

That's most of the key points I can think of. It's also worth mentioning before the onset of any potential debate that Andromeda's canon policy works differently from that of most series. With Andromeda the written information on official websites like this one as well as episode dialog is to be treated as a more accurate reflection of what's actually going on in a given situation than any visual effects depicted on screen.
            Did you read all that up there, especially the bolded part? If you hit post before you do your computer will explode and then Santa's Elves will show up and molest you remorselessly.

Comment

The only thing that I can imagine beating the Andromeda would be anything of Shadow design. Honestly, very few things would stand a chance, I think. But many things would do serious damage.

Comment

Ok a 304, or even a 303 can destroy the Andromeda and then some....

Shields are better than nothing, and just because the Andromeda is huge and that it can fire a million missiles at once doesn't mean anything. as soon as the 304 drops out it can beam all its nukes into the Andromeda and then blast away with the Asgard weapons...while the Andromeda can fire all those missiles it still has to beat down the shields...also the oddessey can cloak so the Andromeda wouldn't know what the hell was going on...

size and number means nothing compared to better quality of defense and offense...
                [kick ass signature coming soon]

Comment

Since I think a lot of people don't appreciate just how much of a range advantage multiple light minutes actually is here's a couple of pics to hopefully give a better sense of things.

Here's a scale picture of the distance between the Earth and the Moon. It's about 1.3 light seconds. This is only about a quarter of what the Andromeda considers point blank knife fight range.

Here's that point blank knife fight range. This is only four light seconds. The range of the Andromeda's most short ranged weapons. Click twice for full zoom on the next screen.

Offensive missiles are effective from over a light minute or more, so sixy times that first pic or over ten times the second. Extended range smart missiles are effective over up to 3 AU, almost 25 light minutes, or 1154 of the first pic laid end to end. If the first pic is 1 foot long on your monitor when maximized to reflect the 25 lightminute range you'd need a pic almost a quarter mile long to show the 25 lightminute range in the same scale.

Comment

its not really a question of range. You could pelt me with missiles alll day, but if missiles do jackall against shields, then what use it is when i close in and beam a few naquadah enhanced nukes on board and blow the Andromeda to hell? And who the heck knows the true range of the Asgard beam weapons. They never showed how far the acual range of such weapons are.

As for size, Ha'taks are about 1 km wide (though if we use the supergate, hatak's seem alot smaller, but most examples show ha'taks to be 1 km wide and long) I put Aurora class ships at about 4 km long based on the size of the dedalus to the Orion.

Drones MAY be too slow for Andromeda, but idk......Drones could be relatively fast, we just do not know enough to say how fast they really are. What is on screen and what is really the case could be different things. It certainly is interesting to debate.

I think a ZPM enhanced 304 could take out Andromeda and certainly an Ancient city ship could. I think city ships have more weapons than some drones tbh.......So do Aurora class ships......I htink they got a main gun or more than a few weapons other than drones.
                    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

if anyone had posted that ship's specs on stargate, it would be thrown to death with "fanwank".

but seriously. the oddyssey stands a chance. it has the original beam weapons, most advanced asgard shields, enhanced shields[from tao of rodney], railguns, and missiles.

its railguns can take out missiles. the CC can calculate how to fire on the enemy in order to hit. so while andromeda has an AI, we have an computercore.

secondly, if we cant beat it normally, the computercore may fashion something to beat it.
                      thirdly, beam a nuke into it and its gone. i dont see why anyone says its impossible."its too far away". wel it has never been proven, but the range of the beam weapons can be enhanced, and energy boosts have been shown to enhance effect. besides, it has an ori/ancient cloak, so it can outcloak andromeda. it has some of the most advanced sensors, so it can detect andromeda. its shields can withstand a terrible onslaught. so these missiles,they can hammer on it for a long time. i dont know, but at such a missiles firing rate, it should run out before shields drop below 50%. its beam weapons would shred andromeda. yes, a wraith cruiser outmaneuvered it before. but they werent taking chances with it, as teyla couldve been aboard. otherwise it wouldve been hit straight.
                      also, thats the deadalus. im talking about the oddy, with a supercomputer aboard, so it can take them on. the phoenix and the deadalus showed the superior maneuverability, so andromeda hasnt got an advantage by miles. it may have PDW's. but the oddy has beam weapons.

so id say its fair. but then again, both would be amazed to see a totally different ship. even though it has an AI, it cannot adapt fast enough to the oddy. has it ever encountered weapons like we have?

Comment

We have been informed that a Wraith ship surrouds itself by an electromagnetic jamming field to prevent beaming.

The Andromeda jams all EM frequencies

The Phoenix manoeuvrability was patheitic unable to avoid even slow Wraith hive fire.

The last time I checked the Daedalus sensors found it difficult to discern what an object travelling allmost the speed of light was. Tria an Ancient Warship, that was a whole lot bigger than the missiles the Andromeda fires.

Comment

Kilman and Aman, I'm going to put this as politewly as my strained patience can:

GO READ THE FRAKIGN THREAD! EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID HAS BEEN THOUGH OF, AND DISAPROVED.

Comment

if thats andromeda. then what are the enemies they face? they would make the ori feel pathetic. then im gonna assume:

Ori mothership: Gets PWNED a zillion times over, as its main weapon is outmaneuvered.
                            Aurora: drones are too slow[even though they are already terribly fast]
                            Odyssey: well the andromeda is even more uber, even though the oddysey is already regarded the borderline of fanwank
                            Wraith hive: well even though it has a massive hit percentage, it most likely cant hit the andromeda cause of the fanwank maneuverability
                            Wraith Cruiser: torn to shreds by missiles
                            Darts, by thousands: well obviously andromeda never runs out of its relativistic missiles so hey, their shot down.

and they complain about the tauri being invincible, even though every ship in stargate is owned by a single ship!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              if thats andromeda. then what are the enemies they face? they would make the ori feel pathetic. then im gonna assume:

Ori mothership: Gets PWNED a zillion times over, as its main weapon is outmaneuvered.
                              Aurora: drones are too slow[even though they are already terribly fast]
                              Odyssey: well the andromeda is even more uber, even though the oddysey is already regarded the borderline of fanwank
                              Wraith hive: well even though it has a massive hit percentage, it most likely cant hit the andromeda cause of the fanwank maneuverability
                              Wraith Cruiser: torn to shreds by missiles
                              Darts, by thousands: well obviously andromeda never runs out of its relativistic missiles so hey, their shot down.

and they complain about the tauri being invincible, even though every ship in stargate is owned by a single ship!
                              Kilman, FANWANK is reative. almost any Andromeda ship will pown SG ships. As to darts, they'll just use AP guns.

You can't compare these two universes, somebody DID, that's where all the trouble started.

Comment

is there anything within the andromeda universe able to kil andromeda?

Comment

Working...
                                X