Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

space mine of Earth & Lucian Alliance

Remember SGA S1 Siege

Colonel EVERETT: Six naqahdah enhanced nuclear warheads, twelve hundred megatons apiece. They emit almost zero EM and are otherwise invisible to radar. Once deployed, they will detonate by proximity fuse.

FORD: Space mines?
    But the Wraith were able to detect them , they send a wave of asteroid to trigger the mine field, the explosion 's residual radiation overloaded the space sensor for hours.The city's sensor were blinded .
    I guess the Wraith doesn't use radar.

In SG1 episode "In the company of Thieves"
    Odyssey was ambush , they received bad intel about a possible Ori supergate,and were force into a space mine field by Lucian Alliance .And they later took over Odyssey.

Earth Stealth mine were complete failure in it's first battle, The Lucian alliance's space mine were effective, the Odyssey's asgard sensor were turn on when they were searching for the supergate and they didn't detect the space mine .

The Rail Gun and stealth mine are original earth design ,It was a good attemp in developing space weapon.
    With Asgard data core ,and Atlantis data base, i hope we can still see some original Earth design space weapon. not just copying technologies from the Alien database.
    I hope they improve the Earth Stealth mine and use them again.
    A fail and then improve original Earth space weapon is better then copying alien design.
    I am still waiting for Felger 's ray gun

I think the Wraith were just using the asteroids to destroy Atlantis not destroy the mines. Because I am positive that Wraith tech isn't that advanced, or is it?

Comment

The Wraith used those asteroids to destroy the mines. If they can detect a nuclear explosion light-years away (10x03 - The Pegasus Project), they should be able to see mines floating in space.

By the way: Radar would be a very bad piece of tech to be used in an Interstellar Ship.

As far as the mines in the COMPANY OF THIEVES episode (10x09), Sam Carter explains why they weren't detected: "the presence of neutron star powerful enough to disrupt Odyssey's systems"

Comment

i think space mines are a good idea though

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by mago1978 View Post
          By the way: Radar would be a very bad piece of tech to be used in an Interstellar Ship.
          Why is that?
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Radar is only as fast as sound...

When you are flying between stars, that is VERY VERY slow

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              Why is that?
              ah because it operates at the speed of light. Radar is good for tracking large objects no farther away than the moon.

To track objects farther away than the moon you need some form of subspace or Sadar.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                ah because it operates at the speed of light. Radar is good for tracking large objects no farther away than the moon.

To track objects farther away than the moon you need some form of subspace or Sadar.
                And there I was thinking that it was a good idea to track large objects that are within range of striking you, not just those that are two star systems away.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                  Radar is only as fast as sound...

When you are flying between stars, that is VERY VERY slow
                  Er, do you mean SONAR? Radar is a lot faster than the speed of sound.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Those space mines in Thieves were not of Goa'uld design at all. This was a field laid there by the same race which put one around a planet where Apophis killed Horus.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

i think when the prometheus was made it had well currently earth based sysytem sonar or radar but with just a gouald hyperdrive strap to the back

earth should make cloaked mines, its likely the wraith detected what the objects were made of and figured it must be a bomb

but how they got loads of asteroids hurtling into atlantis direction is a puzzle for me
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                        but how they got loads of asteroids hurtling into atlantis direction is a puzzle for me
                        Um, they pushed them. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do for the Wraith.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

11km ships with a big hole in the middle can do that. turn your ship around and fire the engines.

also: the wraith must have detected some activity. so they hurled asteroids to see what. i doubt they wouldve gotten through the atmosphere.

space mines are bad.

or as someone said so nicely.

"sir im detecting space mines. they'll be here in 6 weeks"

Comment

Was that me? I think I said something like that in the Gateworld Fleet 3.0. I'll go look for the exact quote; it's pretty funny (in my humble opinion) and makes a very good case against mines. I'll try and edit it into this post.

Edit: Was this it?

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                            Putting mines in the ring of the asteroid belt would be a waste of resources. It's be ridiculously easy to avoid them.

"Captain, mines approaching!"

"From where?"

"Approximately 5 AU away!"

"how long till they reach us?"

"Around 12 years!"

or worse:

"Captain, the planet is protected by mines in the belt of asteroids!"

"When will we reach them?"

We already hyperspace jumped past them, sir."
                            Last edited by Lt. Col. Mcoy; 11 June 2008, 09:32 AM.
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

yea those. exactly why mines suck. if you want something similar, then build a mass driver on the moon and shoot them. add some thrusters for maneuvering, and tadda much better cloaked space mines.

actually i laughed myself to death on those two

Comment

Working...
                              X