What keeps the gate open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What keeps the gate open?

You see episodes where the stargate simply shuts down after a single person goes through, then you see episodes where the stargate stays open until every last person steps through the gate. Then there are episodes where there's someone on the other end leaving him arm through the stargate keeping it open for everyone else. My question is.. what actually keeps the gate open?

This has been discussed many, many times. The REAL reason (that being the reason in real life not the in show explanation) is that the writers/producers have stated that "The gate stays open as long as the scene calls for".

Vala,

Comment

Every inch of Stargate technology is analyzed by members of the Science and Tech section for a reasonable explanation but yet you're all settled on the explanation of "The gate stays open as long as the scene calls for". Geniuses i say...

Comment

You can send radio waves through the wormhole in order to keep it open. We see this in 'Lost City' when the SG teams are coming back under attack, and someone says something along the lines of 'send a constant raido signal to keep it open'
        sigpic

Comment

Magnets. Remember, if there is no apparent reason or explanation, it's magnets.
          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

This guy

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
              Every inch of Stargate technology is analyzed by members of the Science and Tech section for a reasonable explanation but yet you're all settled on the explanation of "The gate stays open as long as the scene calls for". Geniuses i say...
              You know, sometimes. When the in-show explanation is missing or doesn't make sense, you have to use the real world one.

Vala,

Comment

yeah been talk about before, even i made a thread about this a long time ago, im sure.

Comment

It sort of makes sense when they dial out of the S.G.C because someone like Walter just shuts it off, but when they dial in from an alien world I would like to know who shuts it off from the alien side.
                  LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                  Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                  99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

The Gate will stay active for a certain period of time. If someone is halfway trhough the gate, it stays open longer, and can't be manually shut down. Those times the gate shut off quickly, was when someone manually shut it down.

Comment

The in-show answer is that he gate shuts down when nothing is being sent through. The real answer is that the gate shuts down whenever the scene calls for it.

Comment

The gate can stay open for 38 minutes as long as there is nothing traveling though. i cant remember what episode it was but it was where Hammond retired and was replaced by that NID push over. He had Carter build a doomsday weapon and sent it to a Gouald mining planet it blew up the planet and sent radiation though the gate. this kept the gate open for the 38 minute window. But if the gate has no travelers it shuts down automatically.
                        and don't forget the SGC can shut it down by the means of the big red button.
                        sigpic

Comment

In season 9 or 10, Gen. Landry told Walter to shut down an incoming wormhole and he did it from the computers. I don't remember which episode it was though.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                          X