Which Tech On Future Ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gkyun
    Though I was wondering whether we know enough about Ancient tech like their shields, weapons etc. to actually incorporate them into our ships as well?
    from new order part 2: THOR: You cannot even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind. Our scientists, long ago, extracted parts of the Ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it. But we have been studying it for as long as I can remember, and we have barely scratched the surface.

It appears that the Ancient knowledge is so extensive and complex that it may take a long time impliment it. It will take time for them to understand the the technology, and some of the knowledge may be beyond the comprehension of current humans. When McKay got an upgrate to Ancient level intelligence he came up with things he could not understand when he went back to his normal state. It seems most likely they will stick to using Asgard technology wich in part might be based on Ancient technology.
    sigpic

Comment

They should stick to Asgard technology, its the best overall.

Comment

Bold:

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
        Thanks for the reference. So you mean something along the lines of ablative armour in ST - a sacrificial layer of the hull intended to take the weapons hits thus protecting the rest of the ship.

Not quite, solid projectiles traveling at grets speed stend to to a "bung on windshield" with wiple shields, basicaly the thin layer of armour break them apart splatering the actual armour with reayl small pieces that pose no danger.

Actually the 302 uses standard engines, not sure about the 304s, although the most popular theory is that they are Ion-based. IIRC we've never seen a purely Tauri ship use Inertialess technology so I think it's safe to assume that we never managed to reverse engineer it.

That's where the Asgard core comes in.

Although Atlantis has (unrealistically imho) accelerated the rate of our advancement in nanotechnology, specifically our ability to make human form Replicators (yeah right!), I don't think we're advanced enough in that field that we could be confident that using billions of nanites to repair our ships wouldn't come back and bite us in the bum at some point (malfunctions, etc)

Those were sentiant AIs, these owuldjsut be simple repair programing.

When reading your first post, for some reason I thought you meant Asgard energy beam based missile launchers! I wondered how that was going to work! At the moment, the only species missile are really likely to be used against are the Wraith and their beam jamming poo poos this idea.

Actualy writh jaming isn't that far reacing, but missles are very useful, once you get past the "shoting teh bad guy with glowing blobs from spiting distance" tactics the wrigters are so find of.

Comment

Asgard automated medical devices and stasis pods would be great. Otherwise, the ships seem to be more than adequate. Weapons, shields, and engines are more than a match for the best anyone else has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
            Maybe oneday will will find some Furling Tech and use that?

...Like teleporters whicxh can teleport a ship around the galaxy, without the need for hyperspace?
            Hmmm, sounds like to me the way the space drive on the Planet Express works
            Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
            "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
            "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
            ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
            McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
            "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

I don't think the Furlings did that. They just transported from a moon to a planet. If the Ring device had enough power it might be able to do that as well.

Comment

Working...
              X