Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vote: BC-304 vs. DSC-304? which one do you like better and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vote: BC-304 vs. DSC-304? which one do you like better and why?

Okay, as i read around the net there are great many discussions about this. As We don't have a really canon source for the full name of the 304 (or Daedalus class) a lot of fans are arguing about this, and these are the two main candidates.

BC-304:
    BC stands for BattleCruiser, as the ships are called battlecruisers at least one time i can remember in AOT, plus maybe several times before, i'm not sure about that.

DSC-304:
    DSC stands for Deep Space Carrier. The main evidence provided by the fans of this idea is that it's written on the badge of the Odyssey, and i read somewhere that it may be written on some consoles, i'm not sure about that.

So we have canon evidence for both arguments, (well as much i can remember) so i would like to hear YOUR arguments, ideas etc...

(and if the Mods approve, it would be cool to have a poll on this)
    edit: thank you Mods, for moving the thread to science and tech, i meant it there but i messed up
    Last edited by SoulAssassino; 15 April 2008, 10:33 AM.
    Trailers and PR
    Stargate: War Begins team
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
    forums:
    http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

In my opinion... it's battlecruiser. Spoken words, by our characters, will always trump out background text, made by prop technicans, in canon as far as I'm concerned.

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Yeah, I prefer battlecruiser. Although the Daedalus is used to ferry stuff from the Milky Way to Atlantis, I don't think that's enough to justify calling it a "carrier" (as in carrying stuff). And "carrier" also has the connotation, in military terms, of aircraft carrier (at least to me). The 304, while it carries F-302s, doesn't seem to have this as its primary purpose, like an aircraft carrier does. However, battlecruiser seems more appropriate, especially with the Asgard upgrades, as it makes the 304 an effective warship.

Comment

I vote for battlecruiser as well. Simply because BeeSee-ThreeOhFour rolls off the tongue much easier than DeeEssSee-ThreeOhFour.
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Battlecruiser more accurately describes the ships useage. When was the last time we saw a 302 do anything noteworthy again?

Thanks to all the over the top asgard cheatcodes garbage they have now the 302s have been rendered almost completely pointless. Why bother to launch 302s when you can just shoot off those nonsense cheatbeams instead? The enemy ship will probably be destroyed long before the pilots even get their suits on.

Comment

it would d epend which one was

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              Battlecruiser more accurately describes the ships useage. When was the last time we saw a 302 do anything noteworthy again?

Thanks to all the over the top asgard cheatcodes garbage they have now the 302s have been rendered almost completely pointless. Why bother to launch 302s when you can just shoot off those nonsense cheatbeams instead? The enemy ship will probably be destroyed long before the pilots even get their suits on.
              How is it cheating? what's the point of having stargate if we're not going to find advanced technology?

Like time i checked the phoenix got destroyed even with those "cheat" beams. i don't see how it's cheating.

Comment

I absolutely agree with everything you just said. We've aquired way to much of a technological superiority over the last 2 seasons. We've gone from the Prometheus (which at the start barely worked properly, no viable hyperdrive, crap missiles etc) to intergalactica ZPM'd stereoid death beam 'battle-cruisers'. Although I recognise that we humans are an igenious bunch, TPTB have taken us from zero to intergalactic superpower in under 6 years. It stretches the credibility of the franchise. I prefered when we had to rely on our wits to survive as opposed to our massive death cannons!

As for the term 'Battle-cruiser'. That term was used for a class of light British battleships that were designed for aggressive scouting ahead of a larger fleet of heavy battleships, they were not out and out capitol ships due to their light armour. When they engaged heavy German Dreadnought battleships at Dogger Bank and Jutland in the First World War, they literally exploded killing everyone on board. HMS Hood, perhaps the most famous inter-war British battleship, was actually one of these 'Invincible' class battle-cruisers, and was similarily demolished by the Bismark in the GIUK gap in 1941. The correct naval term for a Daedalus class would be battle-carrier (BC) as it serves both the functions of a capitol ship and an aircraft carrier. In addition, they are actually USAF vessels, so a new designation would have to be assigned, as they are 'atypical' air force platforms.
                Saboo - "You know nothing of the crunch, you've never even been to the crunch!"

Naboo - "I've been there once"

Saboo - "Oh, took a little day trip around the crunch did we? We can all go as tourists, "Oh look, that's a bit of crunch...""

Comment

yeh i agree with u 2 we have become too powerfull seing as we can take on the ori ships fairly eaisly now...it sholdnt be an even match...i think it should be battle cruiser because it actually is a battle ship
                  The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andy tyler View Post
                    How is it cheating? what's the point of having stargate if we're not going to find advanced technology?

Like time i checked the phoenix got destroyed even with those "cheat" beams. i don't see how it's cheating.
                    If you've ever played a videogame you know that some of them have codes like "god mode" or "unlimited weapons" that'll turn your little protagonist underdog character into a ridiculous over the top murder machine that can mow down entire armies of enemy goons in seconds. That's what it feels like has happened with Earth now, somebody entered the cheatcodes and now we've got puny little "battlecruisers" blowing up Ori warships, Auroras and Hives in 3 shots.

Originally posted by Death From Above View Post
                    I absolutely agree with everything you just said. We've aquired way to much of a technological superiority over the last 2 seasons. We've gone from the Prometheus (which at the start barely worked properly, no viable hyperdrive, crap missiles etc) to intergalactica ZPM'd stereoid death beam 'battle-cruisers'. Although I recognise that we humans are an igenious bunch, TPTB have taken us from zero to intergalactic superpower in under 6 years. It stretches the credibility of the franchise. I prefered when we had to rely on our wits to survive as opposed to our massive death cannons!
                    No kidding it stretches credibility, the tech even seems more powerful on Earth's tiny little infearior ship than it did on an Asgard one. The show was also just more interesting when the Earth ships' weren't that great. Just like a lot of video games stop being really fun or challenging or even having much point to them after you've entered the cheatcodes. It just seems way too easy for Earth now and just like with the videogame that's only fun for about an hour then it completely kills it.

Earth's 304s are the smallest ships in all of stargate and are made and operated by people who ten short years ago had no knowledge of starships at all. Add a few alien upgrades though and all of a sudden they're the best ships in 3 galaxies and not just pound for pound either. They're blowing up ships dozens of times their volume built by more advanced (in general) cultures who've been building ships for thousands of years. They're also doing it with minimal effort. 3 shots for a hive, 2 for an Aurora, a mere handfull for an Ori mothership? This is balanced and reasoanble, this makes for interesting TV? It's like some bad fanwank come to life on the screen, like one of those posts you read about how somone wants to build ships with 4 ZPMs and an exploding ZPM launcher, plausability be damned.

Comment

If you've ever played a videogame you know that some of them have codes like "god mode" or "unlimited weapons" that'll turn your little protagonist underdog character into a ridiculous over the top murder machine that can mow down entire armies of enemy goons in seconds. That's what it feels like has happened with Earth now, somebody entered the cheatcodes and now we've got puny little "battlecruisers" blowing up Ori warships, Auroras and Hives in 3 shots.

No kidding it stretches credibility, the tech even seems more powerful on Earth's tiny little infearior ship than it did on an Asgard one. The show was also just more interesting when the Earth ships' weren't that great. Just like a lot of video games stop being really fun or challenging or even having much point to them after you've entered the cheatcodes. It just seems way too easy for Earth now and just like with the videogame that's only fun for about an hour then it completely kills it.

Earth's 304s are the smallest ships in all of stargate and are made and operated by people who ten short years ago had no knowledge of starships at all. Add a few alien upgrades though and all of a sudden they're the best ships in 3 galaxies and not just pound for pound either. They're blowing up ships dozens of times their volume built by more advanced (in general) cultures who've been building ships for thousands of years. They're also doing it with minimal effort. 3 shots for a hive, 2 for an Aurora, a mere handfull for an Ori mothership? This is balanced and reasoanble, this makes for interesting TV? It's like some bad fanwank come to life on the screen, like one of those posts you read about how somone wants to build ships with 4 ZPMs and an exploding ZPM launcher, plausability be damned.

Well, the Ori warships are usually controlled by people who 1 year ago only knew about how to grow plants. Okay they got the stuff from the Ori but come on....that's even more ridiculous if you think about it. Okay you can say that the Priors control the ships. But think about it. Who is a prior? They are chosen and trained from the same group of farmers. And mainly trained to have blind faith in Origin, not Astrophisics, or Quantum mechanics. They know how to use their super powers, and tell the ship to go here and shoot this, plus twist or even edit the book of Origin to fit their needs.

At least our people have some basic understanding of things, even if most of the stuff we got is from the Asgard core, and it may only build the beam weapons because we ask it, not because we know how they work. I'm not saying, that it's not unplausible that from half finished barely working Prometheus we reached the uber-304 level in 6 years, i'm only saying, that this isn't that big of a dramatic problem. Stargate is an action-adventure show. Sometimes stuff like these happen, and i'm sure TPTB will find a way to counter our uber ships, and make the show interesting.
                      Last edited by SoulAssassino; 15 April 2008, 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
                      Trailers and PR
                      Stargate: War Begins team
                      http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
                      forums:
                      http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassino View Post
                        Well, the Ori warships are usually controlled by people who 1 year ago only knew about how to grow plants. Okay they got the stuff from the Ori but come on....that's even more ridiculous if you think about it. Okay you can say that the Priors control the ships. But think about it. Who is a prior? They are chosen and trained from the same group of farmers. And mainly trained to have blind faith in Origin, not Astrophisics, or Quantum mechanics. They know how to use their super powers, and tell the ship to go here and shoot this, plus twist or even edit the book of Origin to fit their needs.

At least our people have some basic understanding of things, even if most of the stuff we got is from the Asgard core, and it may only build the beam weapons because we ask it, not because we know how they work. I'm not saying, that it's not unplausible that from half finished barely working Prometheus we reached the uber-304 level in 6 years, i'm only saying, that this isn't that big of a dramatic problem. Stargate is an action-adventure show. Sometimes stuff like these happen, and i'm sure TPTB will find a way to counter our uber ships, and make the show interesting.

Well said, I absolutely agree.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassino View Post

The people flying the ships doesn't make as big a difference as who built them and the knowledge base they were built from. Stargate battles consist of lining up and shooting at each other until somebody blows up most of the time so it's not like there's a lot of room for a really great ship commander to make a big difference. In that type of situation it's really more the better built and powerful ship that will win, it's not as important who presses the fire button.

Now Earth's ships are, like everyone knows, built by the US government on Earth with added on asgard technology. The Ori ships are built by work gangs under the supervision of priors using knowledge handed down from ascended beings.

So basically the US government and the Asgard not only know more about shipbuilding than near godlike beings, but they know so much more about it than them that they can build a ship that's much smaller and still have it end up being much better than the Ori one.

If it was only some sort of huge Earth super battleship that was capable of these things it would still be a bit fo a stretch for it to be so much better than an Ori ship as opposed to roughly equal but it's not. The 304 is tiny compared to the Ori ship and yet it's so massively better it can kill several of them at once easily. If the 304 can do this what would a bigger ship with bigger reactors, stronger shields and more larger beam weapons be able to do, kill the whole Ori fleet by itself?

It just seems way way to over the top to me. We've already seen that after only 10 years Earth has ships that can blow up the ships of the most powerful races to ever live in this galaxy in a handful of hits, where do we go from here? Who are they going to bring out that's going to be better than the ancients and Ori and just how much better are they going to have to be to keep up with this. What are Earth's ship's going to be like in another 10 years, a fleet of mini deathstars?

Comment

London police boxes...with beams?

Comment

Getting back on topic here...
                              I vote for DSC-304. BC-304 just seems lightweight to me. Even in our no-ZPM missiles and railgun days, the 304s could dish it on out! Just check out "Off the Grid" or almost any of the Daedalus vs. Hive Ship battles pre-Unending. Just say "This is Colonel (Insert First/Last Name) of the DSC-304 Odyssey..." Now substitute BC-304 and compare.
                              Actually, if you're doing a space-greeting ala Star Trek, "Battleship" just sounds plain better.
                              Drifting back now, I'm still going with DSC-304 as it describes their function much better. Plus, who's to say C stands for carrier? Why not Cruiser?
                              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Working...
                              X