Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sentient Hive Ships? Hive Ship's OS? Questions about Hives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, sorry i realised my mistake, i got caught up with the wrong thoughts. Sorry.

I didn't make a clear point in my first post, and i misunderstood RM_2000_A-s argument. My bad.
    Trailers and PR
    Stargate: War Begins team
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
    forums:
    http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
      I am a little confused. I thought everyone here was agreeing that the ships were non-sentient. As I saw it, the discussion was more about the fusion of organic and inorganic tech to figure out in more detail how the ships function.
      I'm with you there on that one, but I guess that's what we get for thinking!

Anyhoo...There's been absolutely nothing in any story line to suggest sentience in the Wraith hive ships. They may be bio-mechanical, but they certainly aren't Moira from Farscape.

Wraithworshipper
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassino View Post
        Yes, sorry i realised my mistake, i got caught up with the wrong thoughts. Sorry.

I didn't make a clear point in my first post, and i misunderstood RM_2000_A-s argument. My bad.
        It's alright.

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
        I'm with you there on that one, but I guess that's what we get for thinking!

Anyhoo...There's been absolutely nothing in any story line to suggest sentience in the Wraith hive ships. They may be bio-mechanical, but they certainly aren't Moira from Farscape.

Wraithworshipper
        So that means the brains might be removed from the beginning and replaced with a computer? I was thinking that line all along, but why would the Wraith
        replace it?

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
        Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
        The Chevron Team
        Spoiler:
        Never make everything Organic!
        Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
        :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
        :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
        :The drones are heading towards us.
        :Those drones look familiar...
        : SQUID?!?
        We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
          It's alright.

So that means the brains might be removed from the beginning and replaced with a computer? I was thinking that line all along, but why would the Wraith
          replace it?
          I think, there are no not-needed parts on a hive. They should plan it, grow the parts they need, and not let it grow further, or have it grow something they don't need.(like a brain if they have a better computer core based on the same technology)
          Trailers and PR
          Stargate: War Begins team
          http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
          forums:
          http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
            It's alright.
            replace it?
            There's also been nothing to suggest that their "brains" have been removed. If they are a simple enough organism, they would be nothing more than an ambulatory nervous system--all autonomic systems with no higher brain functions. Thus, their sensory systems would be part of the hive's sensory sytem, as it would be harnessed through Wraith computer tech. For instance, what the hive ship "sees" would appear on the inside viewing screens for the Wraith, in turn, to see.

Wraithworshipper

Is surprisingly coherent considering the considerable distraction of new stuff to learn and play with!
            sigpic

Comment

Well, IMO the ships are definitely living in some way, since they can die if it exposed to the radiation from hyperspace for too long. And anything that can die must be living at some point...

Also, I have another question: How do they build the ships? I mean, one can't just build living matter.

Comment

I suspect the hiveships might have a kind of control collar on them to keep them from acting up:

Imagine Todd on his hiveship in BAMSR

Todd: Keep firing

Wraith: Commander we have damage on all sections

Todd: divert power to hull regeneration.

Hiveship: Ouch it HUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Todd: I said SHUT THE HECK UP AND KEEP FIRING!

Hiveship: I'M OUT OF HERE!

Hiveship jumps into hyperspace.

Todd: GET ME BACK THERE OR YOU GET A GALACTIC SPANKING!
                Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                  I suspect the hiveships might have a kind of control collar on them to keep them from acting up:

Nice one. =D

Comment

Got to love the humour, after all of the serious discussions here. good one

LS

Comment

Comment

what do i have to imagine as a galactic spanking?

Comment

I never expect to find humor on these sci/tech threads, but you have proven that it can be done. Thanks!
                          Last edited by Sparrow_hawk; 20 April 2008, 06:57 PM. Reason: correct grammar
                          Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

@Sparrow_hawk: I guess we were both right and wrong! LOL The hive ship most definitely DOES have intelligence, but it's itnelligence come from a living host: either human or Wraith!

I also was wrong in thinking that the inner rib structure of the ship was grown from bio-carbon. It now appears that the ship organism requires a a pre-existing structure with the computers and hyper drives already in place, so it was going to turn the existing structure of Atlantis into a hive ship. That would have been one interesting looking Hive ship...and with the capabilities of ancient Atlantis.

Now...here's a question...what if the host had been installed in a puddle jumper away fom Atlantis when the change began? To what lengths would the hive organism have gone to find adequate power to fuel its growth? May it be that the reason Hive ships are so vulnerable to radiation is because they must initially grow in an area high in radiation in order to have enough power available to continue their growth? This would certainly cause them to be radiation sensitive in the future, rather than being inured to the to increased rads. The current medical evidence points to the theory that once exposed to high rads it creates a lower tolerance in future exposures.

I absolutely LOVED that growing organism! I really HATED that it had to die. Think about this...Keller was ignorant of what was happening, and she was scared, in denial. What if a host KNEW what was happening and welcomed it! Would that personality be completely be wiped out, subjugated by the growing conciousness of the developing ship? Or could/would the knowlege of that host be incorporated into the conciousness of the developing ship? Could that give the Hive ship a sort of "personality" amd a "will to survive?" Think about if the host were an astronaut bound by the limits of a clumsy space suit. What if that astronaut could shed the suit for something as beautiful and powerful as a Hive ship and BE that vessel!? I really think I could be that host. What a wonderful existance that would be, and with a crew needing to be cared for and protected, I'd do my very best to be the best damed Hive ship I could possibly be. Jeepers! Protector and Mother Hen rolled into one!

Just my thoughts.
                            Wraithie
                            sigpic

Comment

I think it was said "I would have to re-watch to make sure" that the original person loses everything. There is nothing left in the end, and all you are is the starting factor to make the ships grow.
                              Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                                I think it was said "I would have to re-watch to make sure" that the original person loses everything. There is nothing left in the end, and all you are is the starting factor to make the ships grow.
                                I'm not sure that is a fact that there is nothing left of the host. The hiveship that was growing out of Keller repeatedly said that its name was not Jennifer Keller, that it did not yet have a designation;. but I don't think that is enough to let us conclude that there is nothing of Keller left.

Right now all we can do is speculate, but that is half the fun of watching Sci-Fi! Maybe we will find out more details about the Hive Ships later in the season.

Personally, I'm with Wraithie on this one. I would like to think that something of the host remains and makes each of the Hive Ships unique.
                                Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X