No announcement yet.

Ra's Ship. Impractical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ra's ship might be a earlier model to put fear into a slave population and it might be a bit of a yacht. The triangle ships might just be a different model or class of ship or newer model. Ra might just have a different design because he was a high Goa'uld. We didn't actually see it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
      The older more round hataks had a square base, while the more recent ones have a triangle base.

The only problem with this, is that in the next episode (S4E22 - Exodus) we see that the very same Ha'tak they captured from Cronus is the good old triangular one.... i'll edit in a screen as soon as i find one.

Edit: here it is:
      http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s4/4...x22%5F189.html
      Trailers and PR
      Stargate: War Begins team
      http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
      forums:
      http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
        The older more round hataks had a square base, while the more recent ones have a triangle base.

Spoiler:

LOL I love this! Best Mistake ever!

However I gess the war ship Hataks we know and love don't always have to land on a pyramid, I gess the Goa'uld only still do it for dramatic effect and to show their power! Scaring the locals.

Ra's Hatak was most likly made just for the pyramids a giza, since it was his land. That would exsplain the shape diffrence.

As for Ra's hatak being Impractical. Remember he was a Goa'uld. Thats how they built things (i.e. Staff Weapons, rings) for them as long as it looked impressive, powerful and gold they where happy. Practicality was 2nd importance when compared to looks. And no one would question its usability due to them being "gods".
        sigpic
        Banner Made By Me for Me
        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
          Never mind the fact that with a pyramid shape, you don't get nearly as much interior volume and space as you would with another shape, like a cube or a sphere. With Ra's ship in the movie though, his pyramid has that huge indent of hollow space going into the pyramid so that it can land on the Abydos stone pyramid. All of that could be sapce use for the interior of the ship. Why you think he did this?
          For stability, perhaps?

A pyramid may not make the most efficient use of space, but it is the most stable shape in existence- broad rectangular base, weight diminishing towards the top. It won't tumble over easily if the landing has gone awry. A pyramidal landing pod that goes into a hole in the ship's hull further secures the ship during landing.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassino View Post
            The only problem with this, is that in the next episode (S4E22 - Exodus) we see that the very same Ha'tak they captured from Cronus is the good old triangular one.... i'll edit in a screen as soon as i find one.

Edit: here it is:
            http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s4/4...x22%5F189.html
            If you look at the angle of the visible portions of the third side, to the left and right of the pyramid just before it disappears behind it, you can see that the Hatak is of the triangular type in that episode also (see pic).
            As the two visible corners of the Hatak sync up with the two front corners of the pyramid, that rules out the 'offset' theory in this case.
            So either that's a 3-sided pyramid, or CG screwed up (again)

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
              If you look at the angle of the visible portions of the third side, to the left and right of the pyramid just before it disappears behind it, you can see that the Hatak is of the triangular type in that episode also (see pic).
              As the two visible corners of the Hatak sync up with the two front corners of the pyramid, that rules out the 'offset' theory in this case.
              I'm betting there are likely other caps of that pyramid that make it far more obvious that it is infact 4 sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                I'm betting there are likely other caps of that pyramid that make it far more obvious that it is infact 4 sided.
                I think in this episode we only see the pyramid from this angle, but the another proof for production mistake is that in the part when they land the ship on the pyramid, for a few seconds, we see it from under, and then it's 4 sided. I'll make a screencap when i get home...
                Trailers and PR
                Stargate: War Begins team
                http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
                forums:
                http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Also the trianglar ones might be more aeodymanic.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                    Even if the Hat'ak had a sqaure base here, It still would not fit onto the pyrimid correctly due to the shape of the point. This pyrimid is very steep, a standard square Hat'ak would get half way down then get stuck, or worse push into the bricks and break the pyrimid under the Hat'aks sheer weight!

Originally posted by Dazzbe View Post
                    Also the trianglar ones might be more aeodymanic.
                    Not when the triangle is covered in a snow flake shapped structure!

Out of Ra's and a standard warship Hat'Ak. Ra's would be more Aerodynamic. However they fly around in space most of the time, so why would it mattter? Unless the Solar wings have a similar impact? But even then I can see that only have any real effect near the Heilopause (Have I spelt that right?) as it goes through the terminal shock! (is it terminal or thermal? dam it off to Wikipedia I go....)

EDIT: It was the termination shock, termination
                    Last edited by MechaThor; 31 March 2008, 08:50 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

I tend to think a little less yacht and more throne ship / mobile palace / galactic touring car conversion. I think that most 4 sided Hataks were in fact warships but Ra's was converted or built as a luxury craft. On a more limited scale we see this trend continued with some of the 3 sided Hataks having more ornate bridges, such as the already mentioned Cronus' ship, while most others have the plain bridge. I could see a similarly a combat 4S Hatak being void of all the useless crap Ra had in his such as the walk in tub, the throne area, statues, water filled dungeon with stupidly high ceiling, and probably more decadent garbage we never got to see.

Comment

The Juna CGI goof was one that was acknowledged by the staff years ago.

Put it on the same rack as asgard blueprints for goa'uld ships showing 4 sided cores while we know they're 3 sided.

Which caused an onslaught of hilarious theories, from they got the blueprints of older ha'taks which were a cross between Ra's and the show's ones (yeah, the Asgards really suck at upgrading their intel and their sensors suck), or ha'taks can morph. Must suck to be a jaffa suck in the morphing region of your ship when that happens.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Not when the triangle is covered in a snow flake shapped structure!

Out of Ra's and a standard warship Hat'Ak. Ra's would be more Aerodynamic. However they fly around in space most of the time, so why would it mattter? Unless the Solar wings have a similar impact? But even then I can see that only have any real effect near the Heilopause (Have I spelt that right?) as it goes through the terminal shock! (is it terminal or thermal? dam it off to Wikipedia I go....)

EDIT: It was the termination shock, termination

Still there might be some space travel feaure to the design or something. I'm not a scientist.

Comment

Working...
                          X