No announcement yet.

what are the windows made of on ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Force field over glass idea. Glass (like on the space shuttle) is strong enough to withstand normal space; however, at high velocity the stress on the windows would come from collisions with small atoms, like hydrogen. The forcefields would take the stress off the windows and protect from space debris, while the glass would remain if power failed. I also think that pure glass, even the bullet-proof kind, would hold up in a battle too long.
    Colorado Springs has a zoo. It does not have an O'Malley's.

Comment

Quite simple really:

GLASS.

Special kind of glass with a lot of secret sauce added in.

Don't ask what's in the secret sauce though...

Comment

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a super geek, I watched the science of Star Wars and the scientists on the program (real physicists) all agreed no known transparent material could handle it.

They suggested some kind of gas plasma held in place by an EM field.

Also, no one could explain light sabers, just in case you wanted to know.

Comment

plasma maybe.
          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
          sigpic

Comment

The will power of everyone sat on the bridge not wanting to die is what holds the glass together.
            if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

My guess is some polycarb material like Lexan
              Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
              Check out my Flickr

Comment

magnets? tiny, see-thru magents? lol
                Last edited by corey2002; 21 March 2008, 10:58 AM. Reason: addition
                MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

actualy.....maybe not tiny invisible magnets....maybe tiny replicators/nannobugs-they are metal not glass and can fix themselves constantly...
                  MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                  I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Probably amphoruous aluminum or nickel.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                      I've always thought it was clingfilm

But really, I'm guessing Forcefields. If it's based off Goa'uld Design. Also asumming that the Asgard haven't discovered a transparent material capable of withstanding such pressure (transparent aluminium, anyone? )
                      If I hadn't just lost two hours of my life watching that Star Trek film I would have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!
                      sigpic
                      If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
                      I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

its plothole glass
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                          its plothole glass
                          Plexiplothole glass infact

Comment

No its a part of the uber device you know the device that is uber aka everything everyone wants and hasnt thought of yet.
                            if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

I think it's some super strong glass but they also got force feilds ans innersional dampeners so I think it's a combation of the 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X