No announcement yet.

Daedalus-class Shields #SPOILERS#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay was certain Hermoid would understand the base code for the shield upgrades. With these new shield upgrades, certaintly the 304s at the very least tied with the Ori for the best shields (with ZPM, more powerful shields, #1), going along with the best weapons and hyperdrive. Unbeatable combo.

AoT spoiler:

"The Replicators had control of the ship at that point, and we know that the first thing they do on a boarded ship is modify it's systems. It's highly probable, bordering on certain, that they would have upgraded the ship's shielding. "

There was no mention of this in AoT. The Replicators did not manage to breach the Asgard control room as far as I recall.

Comment

Bold:
      Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
      McKay was certain Hermoid would understand the base code for the shield upgrades. With these new shield upgrades, certaintly the 304s at the very least tied with the Ori for the best shields (with ZPM, more powerful shields, #1), going along with the best weapons and hyperdrive. Unbeatable combo.

McKay never said that he was sure Hermiod would be able to understand it, so I give a "no" to that point. And considering, once again, that there is ZERO, I repeat, ZERO onscreen evidence that the upgrades were installed, please stop using this point.

Slight changes in shield color don't amount to anything unless it is backed up by dialogue. For example, the shield color on the ha'tak in "Within the Serpent's Grasp" and "Lost City, Part 2" did not change, indicating that Anubis' shields were equal to Apophis'... yet we know that's not true.

AoT spoiler:

"The Replicators had control of the ship at that point, and we know that the first thing they do on a boarded ship is modify it's systems. It's highly probable, bordering on certain, that they would have upgraded the ship's shielding. "

There was no mention of this in AoT. The Replicators did not manage to breach the Asgard control room as far as I recall.

They didn't need to breach the Asgard core room, did they? All they'd need to access is the engineering level (where the mother bug was, no less) and modify the shields/weapons/engines from there.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
        He did say to have hermiod take a look at it. Maybe hermiod passed on the idea to thor or something and then thor factored that into the new shields they gave the odyssey and earth.
        That's quite possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Darien View Post
          That's quite possible.
          It is, but there's no evidence supporting it; remember, Thor was busy during this entire time working on the Asgard core they gave to Earth, so I doubt he'd waste time on a few shield modifications when they were already planning a massive overhaul for the 304s themselves.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            It is, but there's no evidence supporting it; remember, Thor was busy during this entire time working on the Asgard core they gave to Earth, so I doubt he'd waste time on a few shield modifications when they were already planning a massive overhaul for the 304s themselves.
            It wasnt just the asgard core that they were working on. It is entirely possible and likely that Hermiod looked at what mckay did. Realized it would work and passed it on to thor so he could incorporate it into the upgrades.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
              It wasnt just the asgard core that they were working on. It is entirely possible and likely that Hermiod looked at what mckay did. Realized it would work and passed it on to thor so he could incorporate it into the upgrades.
              That's true. But if that's the case, then it wasn't uber-Asgard smarts that gave us such great shields, it was a combination of what they already had plus ascended knowledge... but I doubt the writers would ever admit that. Ascended-level shields would be on the level of the Ori ones, which could only be breached by Asgard beam weapons and a supergate "kawoosh."

However, we still don't have a comparison between Ori and 304 shields... I wish someone would take over the Apollo and fire on the Daedalus so we can see how much damage a beam blast does to us...

Comment

"Ascended-level shields would be on the level of the Ori ones, which could only be breached by Asgard beam weapons and a supergate "kawoosh.""

Nope. Those shields can be depleted and finally breached by any beam weapons and pretty quickly. Or a very large number of drones, or even a lot of fire from very powerful Ion Cannon type weapons.

And of course, regular 304's shields are nowhere near as powerful as the Odyssey or as powerful as the Ori. Add a ZPM, shield strength probably triples, if not more.

If AoT is any indication or even Unending, Asgard-McKay shields > Ori. There are no better shields for none-Atlantis warships, there cannot be.

Who is going to be smarter than a near Ascended McKay? Nobody!

It would be ludricrious of them not to upgrade the shields. Only reason is if Hermoid had no clue what McKay's work was about, and McKay clearly thought Hermoid could handle it, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered sending the base code upto to Hermoid. McKay has dealt enough with the Asgard to gauge their superior intellect. The Asgard have a very mathematical mind, more so than any other biological beings, almost machine like logic. Only reason for not upgrading: If the entire Asgard race could not figure out McKays work.

So in essence: The Earth ships have the best weapons, best shields, best hyperdrives, only thing lacking is a best power source (Odyssey has that in the form of a ZPM).
                Last edited by JSPuddlejumper; 27 February 2008, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I don't remember hearing anyone say that; it was my impression that this was just a normal Replicator they created, only with the cipher pre-in it.
                  the replicator created can only be as smart as the asgard computer. because it was created from the asgard comp
                  Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                  Anime signature in spoiler tag
                  Spoiler:
                  Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                    the replicator created can only be as smart as the asgard computer. because it was created from the asgard comp
                    Not really. The IOA guy inserted a data ship of some kind into the console, remember? He uploaded the specs for the bug from that.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119
                      Okay, I have a question concerning the shields on Daedalus-class ships. We know from "Unending" that the Asgard upgraded the Odyssey with "the latest Asgard technology," and this no doubt includes shield modifications beyond what we had previously.
                      if by "previously" you mean even after the post-Ethon upgrades (following the destruction of the Prommie by the Ori beam satellite) then it's very doubtful the shields were upgraded any further - by the time of Camelot the 304s were most likely fitted with the best asgard shields

now the strength of these may have been enhanced since then (thanks to asgard cores, Mckay's equations to increase power efficiency & what not) but the "quality" of these shields has remained the same

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                        if by "previously" you mean even after the post-Ethon upgrades (following the destruction of the Prommie by the Ori beam satellite) then it's very doubtful the shields were upgraded any further - by the time of Camelot the 304s were most likely fitted with the best asgard shields

now the strength of these may have been enhanced since then (thanks to asgard cores, Mckay's equations to increase power efficiency & what not) but the "quality" of these shields has remained the same
                        The Asgard shields use a buffer system, so a larger power source technically shouldn't boost them at all unless the buffer was enlarged... but yeah, that's what I mean (strength).

Comment

the best shields can only be accomplished by a zpm + non buffer shields

Comment

Not really. The IOA guy inserted a data ship of some kind into the console, remember? He uploaded the specs for the bug from that.
                            i believe that chip just told the comp to make a replicator and had the disable code on it, i hardly believe the chip was smarter then the asgard core....
                            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                            Anime signature in spoiler tag
                            Spoiler:
                            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

McKay said it will make Daedalus shields stronger.

I will look for the specific quote later.

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                                i believe that chip just told the comp to make a replicator and had the disable code on it, i hardly believe the chip was smarter then the asgard core....
                                Huh? What is with you and this "smarter" stuff? The chip could have had the basic blueprints of a Replicator--which would include a hookup to their subspace link and whatever directives Replicators had. In fact, the Asgard core probably already had a ton of information on the Replicators, as it supposedly held the sum of their knowledge. So I would imagine Replicator tactics and patters would be ready-built into the bugs; certainly seems so from the way they acted.

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                                McKay said it will make Daedalus shields stronger.

I will look for the specific quote later.
                                McKay's known for adding arrogance and assumption of his greatness to everything he says, so I learned long ago not to take what he says as truth until it's proven. And it wouldn't matter because, as pointed out, the shields were upgraded by the Asgard and therefore no longer compatable with whatever mods he made.

Comment

Working...
                                X