No announcement yet.

Asgard as Goa'uld Hosts - Technological Advancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally believe Ra was a COMPLETE and UTTER plot hole, the movie writers wanted an alien looking thing, without having to explain the whole snake symbiote thing (if that was even an idea at the time). Also take into consideration that the asgard were not even invented at the time of the movie.

Secondly, I believe that the goa'uld can not take asgard hosts - I believe this mainly because I reckon the asgard would have built in a genetic incompatability with symbiotes, that is of course if they were ever compatible, bearing in mind they evolved in a completly different galaxy and have no human genes whatsoever.

On a final note, Ra was/is not an Asgard according to cannon.

...Valtharus of the Asuran...

Comment

Originally posted by Valtharus View Post
      I personally believe Ra was a COMPLETE and UTTER plot hole, the movie writers wanted an alien looking thing, without having to explain the whole snake symbiote thing (if that was even an idea at the time). Also take into consideration that the asgard were not even invented at the time of the movie.

Secondly, I believe that the goa'uld can not take asgard hosts - I believe this mainly because I reckon the asgard would have built in a genetic incompatability with symbiotes, that is of course if they were ever compatible, bearing in mind they evolved in a completly different galaxy and have no human genes whatsoever.

On a final note, Ra was/is not an Asgard according to cannon.
      Yea the only thing cannon from the movie is Ra inhabited earth 5000 years ago. And he inhabited Abydos. And was the old Super System Lord.

On a different note. We know the symbiotes have to be breed with the host's DNA programmed in. But I don't think the mind of a symbiote is powerful enough to take over the mind of an Asgard or a pre-ascended Ancient. Disregarding the dumb episode in Season 10.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
        Yea the only thing cannon from the movie is Ra inhabited earth 5000 years ago. And he inhabited Abydos. And was the old Super System Lord.

On a different note. We know the symbiotes have to be breed with the host's DNA programmed in. But I don't think the mind of a symbiote is powerful enough to take over the mind of an Asgard or a pre-ascended Ancient. Disregarding the dumb episode in Season 10.
        In season 10, adria had her powers surpressed - so she was a normal human during implantation, so in my mind that is fine.

Also, I agree, the movie cannot have anything not stated in the series as cannon. In the movie abydos was not even in MW galaxy, it was on the outskirts of the known universe....in the series it was the closest planet to earth with a stargate.

Comment

In season 10, adria had her powers surpressed - so she was a normal human during implantation, so in my mind that is fine.

Also, I agree, the movie cannot have anything not stated in the series as cannon. In the movie abydos was not even in MW galaxy, it was on the outskirts of the known universe....in the series it was the closest planet to earth with a stargate.
          Actually that could work I guess. I don't think that it would make her mind any less powerful mentally. But it is acceptable. Nice catch. But that would mean Baal would have to carry the device around at all times.

Comment

Actually that could work I guess. I don't think that it would make her mind any less powerful mentally. But it is acceptable. Nice catch. But that would mean Baal would have to carry the device around at all times.
            Hmm, remember a goa'uld is physically attatched to the spinal cord, I reckon that once it has fully asserted control (which klorel hadn't done) but Baal could have done whilst the device was on, it probably could remain in control via cutting off some neural pathways.

IMO, having all those fancy powers would make adria's mind weak in will and resolve - after all she wouldn't have to assert any will if she could set you on fire if you defied her - and seeing as her powers could be taken away it meant that it, he mind, was easy prey.

Comment

Hmm, remember a goa'uld is physically attatched to the spinal cord, I reckon that once it has fully asserted control (which klorel hadn't done) but Baal could have done whilst the device was on, it probably could remain in control via cutting off some neural pathways.

IMO, having all those fancy powers would make adria's mind weak in will and resolve - after all she wouldn't have to assert any will if she could set you on fire if you defied her - and seeing as her powers could be taken away it meant that it, he mind, was easy prey.
              Well she Baal was removed she was mentally fine so I doubt he did anything of the sort.

Comment

Dev, you make a fair argument.

While that picture of Ra from the movie doesn't look like either Asgard form we're familiar with, it could very well be a stage of their development that occurred between the two.
                In other words, that form might very well have been what the Asgard looked like 10,000+ years ago.

30,000 years ago the Asgard certainly had hyperdrives, else there is no way they could have made it to the Milky Way in only 30,000 years. The thing is, their hyperdrives were slow, as in really, really slow. That's why they used stasis pods.

There's a lot of questions regarding relations between the Asgard and the Goa'uld that have never been answered.
                For example, when did the Asgard first visit the Milky Way? Some folks think they were here before the ancients left for Pegasus, but there's a lot of evidence that says they didn't get here until long after this point.

Another question is: Why were the Asgard and Goa'uld at war at one point? We know that the Asgard and the Goa'uld were at war, but we don't know why or for how long. All we know is that about 1,000 years ago they had to move back to their home galaxy en mass because the Replicator war was starting, so their war against the Goa'uld ended up more like a police action.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while you connect the dots very well, there's still too many unconnected dots to tell the whole story.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Well she Baal was removed she was mentally fine so I doubt he did anything of the sort.
                  Only temportrily inhibitting, not actually severing them

Also, even if they were severed - she is a superhuman, she can heal instantly

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                  Dev, you make a fair argument.

While that picture of Ra from the movie doesn't look like either Asgard form we're familiar with, it could very well be a stage of their development that occurred between the two.
                  In other words, that form might very well have been what the Asgard looked like 10,000+ years ago.
                  There is little point in debating such a thing, the movie is not part of continuity, if you say that is an asgard then you also accept that abydos is not in our galaxy.

We know that the Asgard and the Goa'uld were at war
                  At war? From the show it was more of the Asgard surpressing their empire building, enslaving dreams

know why
                  With the asgard being interested in human development and allies of the ancients, it is more likely that the goa'uld came onto a planet which was being monitered by the asgard and tried enslaving them, I don't think the question of why is to taxing.

All we know is that about 1,000 years ago they had to move back to their home galaxy en mass because the Replicator war was starting, so their war against the Goa'uld ended up more like a police action.
                  Where did you get that number?

Comment

There is little point in debating such a thing, the movie is not part of continuity
                    While certain aspects of the movie have been changed by the series, the movie is most certainly part of the continuity.

if you say that is an asgard then you also accept that abydos is not in our galaxy.
                    We either have to accept it all or nothing? What kind of fundementalist thinking is this?

The series clearly established that Abydos is in the Milky Way, but the series has never established what Ra's prior host was. It has never even been mentioned. It's an unknown, which is why this thread exists.

At war? From the show it was more of the Asgard surpressing their empire building, enslaving dreams
                    A "cold war". The Asgard were too busy dealing with the replicators in their home galaxy to do anything but keep the Goa'uld at bay in the Milky Way.

Where did you get that number?
                    It's an approximation. Hence "about 1000 years ago".
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I for one like to think that the whole reason why the Asgard and Goa'uld were in conflict is because, prior to arriving to Earth, Ra had taken over an Asgard as a host body. Obviously the Asgard saw how the Goa'uld could spread across the Milky Way like a plague. Then when Ra found Earth he dumped the Asgard body in favor for a human body. But by then the Asgard/Goa'uld conflict had been going on for a while.
                      This could also explain how the Goa'uld could easily have risen to power in the galaxy, seeing how they would have all the knowledge of the gate network needed from the Asgard in order to go out among the stars.
                      sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

I dont believe that Goauld in the movie had take an Asgard as a host, becaue then that would mean that (in the movie), the Goauld took over the Asgard, which then took over a human host. Now i dont think an Asgard would fit inside a Human body, no matter how short and skinny they are.

Comment

The Gouald and the Asgard are at war, because the Asgard did not support the megalomaniacal naature of the Gouald. It's a war due to philosophy.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
                          Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
                          The Chevron Team
                          Spoiler:
                          Never make everything Organic!
                          Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
                          :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
                          :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
                          :The drones are heading towards us.
                          :Those drones look familiar...
                          : SQUID?!?
                          We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X