No announcement yet.

Ancient Technology time line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think that the so-called "organic" designs (they actually don't look even slightly organic to me; if anything, they look more industrial), pre-date most of the other technology, INCLUDING the Repository of Knowledge and the control chair. While some systems were updated (DHDs, Stargates, etc), through the evolution of their technology, it's possible that the Repository of Knowledge, Control Chair, drones etc, were just proven technologies which needed no revisions.

I'd assume that the Da'kara device was probably the first thing constructed by the Alterrans in the Milky Way, after the automatic seeding of Stargates on habitable planets by a Gadmeer-like gate seeding ship, possibly with the ability to mine Naquadah from other uninhabitable worlds for power and Stargate production (see SGU rumors for more details).

Followed by the other "stone devices", then the move to Pegasus etc.

Oh, according to Daniel Jackson in "Camelot", the Alterrans took "thousands of years" of years to travel from the Ori home galaxy to the Milky Way, so I'd say it's fair to assume that the ship they left in had a much slower form of hyperdrive (the interstellar hyperdrive the Wraith and Aurora class warships posess [see SGA: Aurora for details]), or possibly even only sublight capability. In fact, Stargates may have been the Alterrans primary means of transportation in the galaxy, which would explain the fact we've seen no evidence of Alterran ships pre-Pegasus.

"Once upon a time, there was a race of people that went on a great journey through space, across the universe. They were called the Altera. After much time…and I think this means thousands of years…they found a great belt of stars. The Alterans named their new home "Avalon," and they built many Astria Porta." — Daniel Jackson, 9.02 "Avalon Part 2".

Comment

The Ori have Stargates, so the Ori galaxy would have been populated with them, also. The Ori didnt know about the MW so, there would not have been a gate network before there.

You also have to consider the expanse between galaxies, a few degrees off and you could search forever and not find anything. I do agree that it is likely that their HD tec. wasn't incredibly fast, like you said, other than Atlantis there is no evidence of any ships of Ancient design and manufacture in our galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
        Personally, I think that the so-called "organic" designs (they actually don't look even slightly organic to me; if anything, they look more industrial), pre-date most of the other technology, INCLUDING the Repository of Knowledge and the control chair. While some systems were updated (DHDs, Stargates, etc), through the evolution of their technology, it's possible that the Repository of Knowledge, Control Chair, drones etc, were just proven technologies which needed no revisions.

I'd assume that the Da'kara device was probably the first thing constructed by the Alterrans in the Milky Way, after the automatic seeding of Stargates on habitable planets by a Gadmeer-like gate seeding ship, possibly with the ability to mine Naquadah from other uninhabitable worlds for power and Stargate production (see SGU rumors for more details).

Followed by the other "stone devices", then the move to Pegasus etc.

Oh, according to Daniel Jackson in "Camelot", the Alterrans took "thousands of years" of years to travel from the Ori home galaxy to the Milky Way, so I'd say it's fair to assume that the ship they left in had a much slower form of hyperdrive (the interstellar hyperdrive the Wraith and Aurora class warships posess [see SGA: Aurora for details]), or possibly even only sublight capability. In fact, Stargates may have been the Alterrans primary means of transportation in the galaxy, which would explain the fact we've seen no evidence of Alterran ships pre-Pegasus.

"Once upon a time, there was a race of people that went on a great journey through space, across the universe. They were called the Altera. After much time…and I think this means thousands of years…they found a great belt of stars. The Alterans named their new home "Avalon," and they built many Astria Porta." — Daniel Jackson, 9.02 "Avalon Part 2".
        I don't think they had very efficient hyperdrives back then but also I think they decided to get as far away from the Ori Home Galaxy as possible to make sure they wouldnt be threatened by their distant cousins again.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by XFire View Post
          The Ori have Stargates, so the Ori galaxy would have been populated with them, also. The Ori didnt know about the MW so, there would not have been a gate network before there.

You also have to consider the expanse between galaxies, a few degrees off and you could search forever and not find anything. I do agree that it is likely that their HD tec. wasn't incredibly fast, like you said, other than Atlantis there is no evidence of any ships of Ancient design and manufacture in our galaxy.
          Actually, we've never seen an Ori stargate, and we know that ascended beings can simulate Stargates and provide entry/exit points for the wormholes connecting them (when the Abydonians were ascended by Oma Dessala), so we actually have no idea whether or not the Ori have conventional stargates; just the supergate.

In fact, it's been suggested that the Ori use ring transporters to travel amongst the Origin planets.

Comment

It stands to reason that their hyper drive technology would be less advanced, but remember that although the Ori needed a Super Gate to get to our galaxy, their hyper drives could get them to the Ida Galaxy equally as quick as the Odyssey. That does say something about the distance between the Milky Way and the Ori Galaxy.

Comment

I think it is highly possible the more monument looking tech was just used to hide it. I think that all those sites were set up after their return to MW.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                I think it is highly possible the more monument looking tech was just used to hide it. I think that all those sites were set up after their return to MW.
                We know that's not true... or even a slightly reasonable suggestion lol.

The stone tech is definitely pre-Pegasus. In fact, the only post-Pegasus MW devices are the Merlin and Morgan hardware, and the Sodan stuff (which was built by the Sodan anyway, following directions left there most likely by Oma or another Lantean.)

Comment

Originally posted by Link Æwondåslåmon View Post
                  It stands to reason that their hyper drive technology would be less advanced, but remember that although the Ori needed a Super Gate to get to our galaxy, their hyper drives could get them to the Ida Galaxy equally as quick as the Odyssey. That does say something about the distance between the Milky Way and the Ori Galaxy.
                  Or the fact that that before they Ascended their HD tec was slow along with the Ori, and the Ori cheated.

I think the Supergates were really there for the whole aesthetic POV, or the Ori don't really know where the MW is, and they just used a gate to get there.

Comment

Where would we place the very organic design of the gate-overloader Anubis used? Also the mind probe device while insidious was probably an Ancient device or closely based on an ancient device. There were a lot of weird organic Ancient devices like the thing that grabbed O'Neills head and downloaded the Ancient knowledge in his head, which was a total difference with the how they built and conveyed the knowledge in the repository Earnest was stuck at in the Torment of Tantalus ep. Although it was never stated I always thought the touchstone was probably an Ancient device as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

Here's what I've come up with:

"Slow" Hyperspace Travel = >50 MYA
                      Ring Transports = >50 MYA
                      Milky Way StarGate = ~50 MYA

Time Loop Device = >30 MYA
                      Zero Point Module = >30 MYA
                      City Ship = >30 MYA
                      Drones = >30 MYA
                      Control Chair = >30 MYA
                      Dakara Device = >30 MYA

Pegasus Stargate = <10 MYA

Aurora-class Battleship = ~10 KYA
                      Project Arcturus = ~10 KYA
                      "Fast" Hyperspace Travel = ~10 KYA
                      Ascendomatic = ~10 KYA
                      Time Jumper = ~10 KYA
                      Intergalactic Communications Device = <10 KYA
                      Repositories of Ancient Knowledge = <10 KYA
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                        Here's what I've come up with:

"Slow" Hyperspace Travel = >50 MYA
                        Ring Transports = >50 MYA
                        Milky Way StarGate = ~50 MYA

Time Loop Device = >30 MYA
                        Zero Point Module = >30 MYA
                        City Ship = >30 MYA
                        Drones = >30 MYA
                        Control Chair = >30 MYA
                        Dakara Device = >30 MYA

Pegasus Stargate = <10 MYA

Aurora-class Battleship = ~10 KYA
                        Project Arcturus = ~10 KYA
                        "Fast" Hyperspace Travel = ~10 KYA
                        Ascendomatic = ~10 KYA
                        Time Jumper = ~10 KYA
                        Intergalactic Communications Device = <10 KYA
                        Repositories of Ancient Knowledge = <10 KYA
                        looks pretty good to me

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

How would the communication device get to the Ori planet, if its been made AFTER they left and never returned?

Comment

Originally posted by XFire View Post
                            How would the communication device get to the Ori planet, if its been made AFTER they left and never returned?
                            Where did you get the idea that the ancients never returned to their home galaxy?

Daniel brought it up...
                            Originally posted by Avalon Pt. II
                            DANIEL: "We know the Ancients left our galaxy for Pegasus and returned later when they lost the war to the Wraith, but what happened to them?"

LANDRY: "I thought they ascended."

DANIEL: "Some did, that we know of. But what if the others went home? Even if they didn't, the book I read suggested that the Alterans left a civilization behind."
                            So the hypothesis is: When the Lanteans returned to Earth 10,000 years ago they split up. Some stuck around on Earth to guide humanity, while others took off for greener pastures. Some of those that left Earth might have returned to the Altera galaxy.
                            As soon as they entered that galaxy the Ori would have been able to read them like a book, which means they would have been captured and probably put to death for being 'evil'. Anything they brought with them would have been confiscated for contradicting Origin.
                            This event could have been the catalyst that set Merlin off on his crusade against the Ori. Or conversely, Merlin could have sent them to that galaxy knowing it would start the confrontation he wanted to happen (my personal favorite).

So, yeah, hypothesis, though it does fit the facts.
                            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                            X