Asgard Matter Conversion Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
    the ZPM isnt the source of power in its self its a doorway to a place that has the energy that is being taken. so it could be like a cup of water with a straw, the straw is the ZPM, by making more ZPMs in that matter would just add more straws.
    But their not all drawing from the same power source.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Nono, couple of misconceptions in the thread above.

Firstly, ZPMs aren't just pockets of subspace, they're actually mini multi-dimensional universes kept separate from our own. Secondly, they're not just filled with energy; that's not what zero point energy is. Zero point energy is the energy field created by the fundamental forces and interaction between matter and energy present in ANY system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_point_energy
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

A ZPM uses an unknown mechanism to suck vaccuum energy from an artifically created universe (which contains artificial matter and energy) at a rate faster than it would naturally be given up.

I posted about this before actually, [mod snip]... here's the explaination again. It's best to think of a ZPM as a big, two litre bottle of Pepsi filled to the brim with water. A hose is placed on top of the bottle, forming an airtight seal, connected to a pump. Power is drawn from the ZPM the way water is drawn from the bottle, by operating the pump. In a ZPM this is an automatic process which operates by an unknown and unexplained (so far) method. When pumping water out of the bottle rather than allowing it to empty naturally (for example by holding it upside down and letting it drain out), air is not able to flow in to take the place of the water, causing the bottle to shrink and possibly crack around the decreasing volume of water. In a ZPM, the process of drawing energy at an accelerated rate causes the formation of exotic particles which don't conform to the laws of physics. The increase in these particles is what is referred to as "entropy" in a ZPM; when the amount of exotic particles reaches a critical point, the ZPM is unable to provide any further energy, the artifical universe destabilizes, and the ZPM is depleted. Due to this, you can't simply "refill" a ZPM as you'd have to remove the exotic particles first, and then recreate the matter and energy present in the artifical universe. Unfortunately, this takes MORE energy than the ZPM actually gives back, plus removal of the exotic particles is impossible as they don't conform to the laws of physics of quantum mechanics, so you can't even precisely locate them yet alone manipulate them.
      Last edited by TameFarrar; 22 February 2008, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
        Yes you can make a ZPM, you can make hundreds if not thousands but they are all drawing energy from the same source so whats the point?

Don't think this is how it works. The ZPM's subspace bubble is self-contained. If they drew from a bubble somewhere else they wouldn't need other ZPM's they would be able to draw on that bubble until it was completely depleted.

Comment

Why do they even need to create new ZPM's, since they have the asgard knowledge base and a matter converter, why not find the lastest asgard powercore design and spit out these babies, after all if they can power a asgard ship and everything on their former world, not least beside the new weapons system they built, why not just make more of them, since the design is already in the databases and the computer core knows how to build them.

As for a zpm, Oneil built ne, all be a mini one when he was anciented up using a staff weapon powercore, so it cant take that much pwer to make a full sized one can it?, afterall if it takes a zpm to make another zpm, then how were the ancients able to make them in the first place?

Comment

Good point but the power core is also a computer, it would have to integrate itself into every part of Atlantis and the power core has a problem, when it integrates with the hyper drive even offline it gives off an energy signature visible to Ori sensors and so probably visible to Replicators and/or wraith (definitely replicators).

Comment

Originally posted by firemaster View Post
              Good point but the power core is also a computer, it would have to integrate itself into every part of Atlantis and the power core has a problem, when it integrates with the hyper drive even offline it gives off an energy signature visible to Ori sensors and so probably visible to Replicators and/or wraith (definitely replicators).
              yh probaly because the ori and ancients were the same people and the replicators imporsant the anicents

Spoiler:
              But they are all dead now so it don't really matter does it
              sigpic
              [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Originally posted by Supergateship1 View Post
                As for a zpm, Oneil built ne, all be a mini one when he was anciented up using a staff weapon powercore, so it cant take that much pwer to make a full sized one can it?, afterall if it takes a zpm to make another zpm, then how were the ancients able to make them in the first place?
                That was not a ZPM, its shape was the same but its actual process is extremely different, he pretty much drained everything of the liq Naq at once, while a ZPM doesnt draw energy from a source that is dependent on matter, it draws from a miniature universe.

If making a ZPM just by beaming one was possible they would have done it a long time ago. Being that they cant, but that they can beam ZPMs around indicates that there is not actually a physical bubble containing a universe in actually in a ZPM but rather its a door way to a miniuniverse, if there was there would have been 3 MAJOR constant anomalies probably extremely dangerous after the team blew up Asuras in Progeny. By beaming you copy the same door that opens to the same room it does not solving the energy problem. The ZPM in its self is not the power source but the device that draws energy from the source making it so that every ZPM does not draws from the same universe. ZPM research would not be in creation of ZPMs but rather in creating new miniuniverses that they can draw from and how to connect the two.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by The.Road.Not.Taken View Post
                  yh probaly because the ori and ancients were the same people and the replicators imporsant the anicents

Spoiler:
                  But they are all dead now so it don't really matter does it
                  Spoiler:
                  er actually a number of replicators have survived see BAMSR, and The Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    er actually a number of replicators have survived see BAMSR, and The Kindred
                    Spoiler:
                    the kindred??? are the replicators in the kindred LOL!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

the point is, a zpm was made by using annother powersource. hydrogen plants, fusion plants, solar energy[on a large scale], NIG's, that kinda stuff. a sun or blackhole can be used for this aswell. a zpm is way easyer to carry around than a geothermal powerplant. wich makes me believe that the geothermal powerplant under atlantis was used to power the city in normal state, or to recharge the zpm's.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        the point is, a zpm was made by using annother powersource. hydrogen plants, fusion plants, solar energy[on a large scale], NIG's, that kinda stuff. a sun or blackhole can be used for this aswell. a zpm is way easyer to carry around than a geothermal powerplant. wich makes me believe that the geothermal powerplant under atlantis was used to power the city in normal state, or to recharge the zpm's.
                        can zpm's be recharged i thought once they were dead they were dead otherwise atlantis would have recharcharge there zpm when they were in control of the station
                        sigpic

Comment

i read somewhere that zpm's are batteries, so the power required to make them= to the power gained. so logically you could recharge them.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            i read somewhere that zpm's are batteries, so the power required to make them= to the power gained. so logically you could recharge them.
                            why did they even attempt or talk about saying i think we could mabye recharge them
                            sigpic

Comment

not getting you point.....

Comment

Working...
                              X