The gate overloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
    Ancients returned 10k years ago, from what I can remember, Goa'uld began their rise about 8k years ago.
    Also, since when are DHDs powered by cold fusion? The paper Jack wrote did not indicate any sort of thing. So until you submit proof, it can not be said that the DHD uses cold fusion.
    Spoiler:

Bottom right of the image:
    "Now you are ready to turn the power on again. The DHD has a cold fusion reactor core, it will take a few minutes to be fully charged providing you have correctly. Keep the "jumper" capacitors linked up to your portable source.

Remove the bypass clips before powering up. Leaving them on would produce unpleasant results!

If this all fails, well... see ya!"

Proof enough for you? It's not really a good idea to argue with me, I'm very very rarely wrong.
    Last edited by Dev Corvin; 19 February 2008, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      i think it was made to remotely shut down stargates. anubis added extra power and used it to blow the gate up. although a far dial is a nice idea too. perhaps its pre-zpm technology?
      What do you mean by shut stargates down? You can't shut off an open wormhole if that's what you mean, or do you mean disable it so no-one can dial in or out?
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

yea basically like throwing water over your computer. exept it fries the stargate's inner circuit. ofcourse anubis' device didnt, but he had changed it to blow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
          Ancients returned 10k years ago, from what I can remember, Goa'uld began their rise about 8k years ago.
          Also, since when are DHDs powered by cold fusion? The paper Jack wrote did not indicate any sort of thing. So until you submit proof, it can not be said that the DHD uses cold fusion.
          Nah, the Goa'uld were already there on Earth 10,000 years ago (proved with an episode like The Curse for example), which put both the return of the Lantians and Ra's reign on Earth, as the Supreme System Lord, at the same time.
          This raises many questions...
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

The gate overloader seemed to fall into what looked like an unstable volcanic area. Possibly it drew its power from a geothermal energy source like the outpost they found in the Pegasus Galaxy. I would think it was built to power up a gate for an intergalatic wormhole like the ZPM. It would make sense that they had some kind of way of doing this before they developed ZPMs. The fact that it was shielded means that it was probably of some importance although why the shield wasn't built to gaurd it from aerial attacks puzzles me.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
              The gate overloader seemed to fall into what looked like an unstable volcanic area. Possibly it drew its power from a geothermal energy source like the outpost they found in the Pegasus Galaxy. I would think it was built to power up a gate for an intergalatic wormhole like the ZPM. It would make sense that they had some kind of way of doing this before they developed ZPMs. The fact that it was shielded means that it was probably of some importance although why the shield wasn't built to gaurd it from aerial attacks puzzles me.
              Actually, that's a pretty good idea tbh.

If they were to initate the energy beam BEFORE dialling out, it'd most likely charge up the gate to a power level sufficient to dial Pegasus or Ida.

The geothermal energy idea is a pretty good guess as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
                But why would the Ancients do that? They didn't have any enemies here who could possibly be a threat to them. It would be totally OTT.
                it could have been designed while they were at war with the Wraith, designed to take out any resupply bases they might have set up...(nuke the gate and the base it's near)
                do the R&D in the safer MW galaxy and then pack it up and ship it to Pegasus
                but that is a stretch at best

Comment

It might have been used to power Atlantis or another remote base. You could use the device to channel power to a base that was under attack while sending the cavalry in by ship. Maybe they planned to use it to boost Atlantis but never got round to it as they decided to ascend instead. Then again Atlantis's shields weren't going to run out for 10,000 years so it does seem a bit premature.

Comment

Originally posted by SGD2C View Post
                    it could have been a failed device to keep the gate open for long periods and the overload was a side effect. the ancients did have some devices that almost worked. that or it actually worked and Anubis changed it so it would destroy gates.
                    Now that is an idea i like..

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                      I have a random theory. First off we know that the Alterans didn't always have, nor always use, ZPMs. Secondly we know that the device can beam energy over a distance what we don't know is how far.

So here is my theory; Anubis found it on an entirely different world and discovered that it was used to power an entire abandoned Alteran science city/facility and/or civilization. Learning of this and how much power it could produce he uprooted it and shipped it to the world where Teal'c found it.
                      However the device used the environment around it to produce its power, much like the time loop device used the geomagnetic storms, and due to the differences between the two worlds it could now only produce a minuscule fraction of its original power output.

Anubis however, never one to take something laying down, found another use for it, destroying those pesky Tau'ri's Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                      X