Alterans spreading life and terraforming systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    I got to wonder... before the Alterans came to the Milky Way, there was little life in that galaxy, right?

Realistically, it seems hard to see how there could be so many inhabitable planets, with parameters which so closely match those of Earth.

I'm not even counting the fauna and flora which are very similar.

So, I suppose the Alterans settled on Earth, then developped their civilization and started creating more worlds suitable to life, by removing or adding the necessary mass to certain planets in other systems, until parameters would be very close to Earth.
    The planets would be placed in the life zone (moving them on the correct orbit).
    If necessary, a proper sun would be created as well.

Then they transplanted a lot of the lifeforms from Earth on these otherworlds, as well as seeding a few other worlds which wouldn't be strictly Earth-like, which through millions of years of evolution, would lead to the couple of alien species we've met, like the Serrakins, the Reo'le, the Foothold ones, etc.

It could even be possible that the Nox, Asgards and Furlings are different evolutions of the same seeds. That is very speculative of course, and even a tad too alteran-centric to my tastes. But it does work.

wouldnt be a nice explanation to be put into canon...

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
      So? AOT is about ascended being and not about the pre-ascended Ancients.
      You may wish to retract that statement.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
        Wrong. Life has existed on Earth for at least 3.7 billion years. The ancients have only been in the Milky Way for the last 50 million years or so.
        I didn't say zero life.
        I precisely said they settled on Earth, not terraformed it, though they would have likely added stuff of their own.

Of course I'm assuming you mean all life. That's not what the writers mean when they say life; they mean intelligent life, like people.
        No, I also consider plant life, in order to explain the universal canadian pinewood forest syndrome.

Realistically, there's no way to come to any conclusion until we have some real-world data to give us facts. Right now we only know of a single habitable world in the universe, which is Earth. Our technology is too primitive to detect Earth-like planets around other stars, but we're only about 10-20 years from having that technology available.

Of course, with there being roughly 75,000,000,000 stars that are similar to our sun in our galaxy alone, the odds of more habitable planets being out there are pretty staggering.
        But also with far more diverse natural conditions than ours. The chances that we could step down on one of these worlds without a suit? Little.
        The chances that they'd have a gravity close to Earth's?
        Even less.

That doesn't fit with Stargate.

Well, evolutionary theory states that if they're similar, they're probably related. In this case, it would seem all the plant and animal life in the Milky Way originated somewhere in southwestern Canada.
        Yes, the trees shot spores into space billions of years ago.

The problem here is the overwhelming lack of evidence that would date back 50 million years. There are no Alteran ruins to be found on Earth when we see them all over other worlds.
        Sure, Atlantis was here some time in the last 5-10 million years, but the only evidence that the Alterans ever set foot on Earth is the Antarctica StarGate.
        And the outpost.
        Earth might have been a temporary location. I don't understand why the fancied frozen landscapes though.
        A better way to be sure that no other lifeform could spread? Virii? Plagues? Bacteria?

Maybe there were more cityships on Earth. Maybe some of them got purely and simply disintegrated, zat like.

Based on that, I'd conclude that the Alterans planted StarGates on worlds that were already habitable. In fact, I don't see any reason why they'd need to terraform. The StarGate pretty much opens up every habitable planet in a galaxy.
        The wolrds where there are stargates are all copies or variants of Earth.
        There has to be a template which got replicated there. Even if that template even originates from the Alterans' original galaxy.

Adding mass to a planet would require millions of years to cool down and become habitable again. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's a very long term investment.
        Not a problem. I'm sure the Alterans had ways to cool down planet fast. Adding matter would be achieved simply by adding the right amount of a given moon.
        Removing matter? Big ass cannons (petaton level). You don't need to have round numbers.

Or matter disintegrators. The Alterans had Dakara. You can't tell me they didn't have smaller variants before hand.

Another problem is this affinity for Earth-like worlds. A planet doesn't have to be exactly like Earth to produce life (or even intelligent life). It just has to have some of the same characteristics.
        Humans can live on planets with less than 1 Gee. Humans can live with an atmosphere lower than 1000 millibars. Humans can live on a world without a magnetosphere.

The idea that a planet has to be exactly like Earth for humans to live on it is pretty silly.
        Yes, as I said, certain worlds can have variances, but there's little variety in SG.
        Besides, lifeforms evolving on such different worlds will never evolve into what we are.

Wow, you're not kidding around are you? Moving planets was probably within the ancients capability, but creating stars; I'm not so sure. Really there is no reason to create your own stars. Just move planets of the right mass to star systems that would be suitable.
        The Ashens could create stars out of gas giants.

SG-1 was able to fly a massive asteroid through hyperspace, so it should be possible to fly a planet through hyperspace to a new star system (and that would be really cool to see!).
        Yes, moving planets *only* requires to build hyperdrives meant to move big objects (that is, already planned at generating a wide field, instead of stretching one designed to be small). When you consider that a goa'uld scoutship could move a 137 km long asteroid through Earth when using energy reserves... just imagine the Lantians using their ZPMs. Piece o' cake.

Well, the Foothold aliens were supposed to be from another galaxy, but I'd agree with the others.
        Well, other galaxies, other spin-offs!

That's the thing; the writers established that finding humanoid life on other worlds other than Earth is extremely improbable. In other words, there is a common link with all humanoid species in the galaxy, and that link is the Lanteans.
        Agreed. Coupled to Goa'uld moving humans as well. But let's notice that the worlds where they moved them are very Earth-like.
        The groundwork was already laid.

The way I see it the Alterans had no wish to "seed" intelligent life at all. They came to the Milky Way to start their civilization over. When they got wiped out by the plague (which still hasn't been explained to my liking), the survivors - the Lanteans - are the ones who were doing all the "seeding".
        "We" got seeded as well, after all life was wiped out by the Dakaran device.

Which, in our case, would mean that much of the life was created even before Dakara got a galatic WMD.

It would seem since the flora and fauna of the Milky Way so closely resembles that of Earth, that the Lanteans used Earth as a picking ground then took that life to other worlds. I'm talking about bacteria, plants, animals, and yes, even proto-humans.
        Probably.

The only way humans in the Pegasus galaxy could have co-evolved with humans in the Milky Way is if their evolution started at the same time. If they hadn't been picked from the same source, then humans in Pegasus wouldn't be as advanced as humans in the Milky Way, they'd be at an earlier stage of evolution. Of course, saving a bunch of cave-men from the Wraith wouldn't be as inspiring as saving people we could actually interact with.
        The Pegasus humans were supposed to be looked upon by the Lantians, through their network of satellites and Oracle system.

I guess my point is Earth was simply a world that wasn't effected by the plague that wiped out the Alterans. That's why it's special. It was the source for most of the life in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies.
        Frankly, I don't know what happened on Earth.
        Obviously, the plague did end on Earth.

As for the Asgard, Nox, Furling and other so-called "aliens", I think they came from a different method of seeding.
        Possible. A wish for variety?

Suppose when the Lanteans left for Pegasus they weren't the only city-ship around. Now suppose these other city-ships went to other nearby galaxies with the same intentions as Atlantis; to seed life where there seemed to be none. Now suppose that when these other city-ships got to their destinations, they found life; not intelligent life, but animal life. So, they genetically engineered some of these alien animals to direct their evolution towards a humanoid form and intelligence. Wait a couple million years, and you end up with the Asgard, Nox and (maybe) the Furling.

Hypothetical? Sure, but it fits what we see.
        Possible. That said, the Nox are very human like. They're more like Hok'tars, but with powers of their own.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

You may wish to retract that statement.
          You said that the Ancients were a let down. I then proved you wrong by providing several quotes from canon stating that they are the greatest, most powerful and advanced race to ever exist. So I asked you to explain yourself, and you told me to go watch AOC. I then replied by stating that AOC is about ascended beings and not pre-ascension Ancients, meaning that the evidence you provided is immaterial as evidence for proving how great or not they were. So answer once and for all why you think the Ancients are a let down considering the quotes from canon I provided.

Comment

Wasn't Dakara the first landing place of the Alterans? - I know Earth became the Capital Planet because of it's Environment etc. But I am quite sure Dakara was the first landing place of the Alterans not Earth.
            sigpic
            Spoiler:
            President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
            President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
            Forum Charmer
            Forum Ambassador
            Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

You said that the Ancients were a let down. I then proved you wrong by providing several quotes from canon stating that they are the greatest, most powerful and advanced race to ever exist. So I asked you to explain yourself, and you told me to go watch AOC. I then replied by stating that AOC is about ascended beings and not pre-ascension Ancients, meaning that the evidence you provided is immaterial as evidence for proving how great or not they were. So answer once and for all why you think the Ancients are a let down considering the quotes from canon I provided.
              The "last time" I refered to was AoT. Your canon quotes are correct, though I'd say that the line from Orlin in Fourth Horseman was disapointing, and I knew that when the writers thought about one ship, they would certainly not go for something huge and epic. Small arms.

Comment

The "last time" I refered to was AoT. Your canon quotes are correct, though I'd say that the line from Orlin in Fourth Horseman was disapointing, and I knew that when the writers thought about one ship, they would certainly not go for something huge and epic. Small arms.
                yes, yes, yes, I watched Arc of Truth and I don't understand how that serves as evidence that the Ancients weren't that great as you say, since the film is about ascended beings and not about pre-ascension Ancients, which is what I am refering to.

Comment

yes, yes, yes, I watched Arc of Truth and I don't understand how that serves as evidence that the Ancients weren't that great as you say, since the film is about ascended beings and not about pre-ascension Ancients, which is what I am refering to.
                  Lying is bad. You obviously didn't watch the film, or you suffer from short term memory.

Comment

So is this thread about somthing or is it anther duel spot for MR. O and Noob. I just have to say it because I've been to three different threads and they are both arguing, in all three. NOt taking sides, just had to say it.

Now...

When I first saw this thread I thought it was great, thumbs up Mr. O, I always thought that the Ancients must have done somthing to be able to seed the galaxy the way they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                      So is this thread about somthing or is it anther duel spot for MR. O and Noob. I just have to say it because I've been to three different threads and they are both arguing, in all three. NOt taking sides, just had to say it.

Now...

When I first saw this thread I thought it was great, thumbs up Mr. O, I always thought that the Ancients must have done somthing to be able to seed the galaxy the way they did.
                      I'm sorry for the derailing, I'm just going to ignore Noob once and for all, he's brought more trouble than anything else. Seems it went from stricti disagreement to personnel crusade.
                      As for the theory, it's just a brain fart, there could be a couple of different ways to adress that, but I had to throw it out anyway.

Comment

I'm sorry for the derailing, I'm just going to ignore Noob once and for all, he's brought more trouble than anything else.
                        This coming from the guy who said I enjoy being abused by my father. Unfortunately in Human society there are scum, and sometimes they join internet message boards and call themselves "Mr", even though they lack any trait of gentlemanliness.

Comment

Working...
                        X