No announcement yet.

Fastest ftl in any scifi universe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think time travel counts as FTL travel... it's a whole other class of transit, not subspace/hyperspace travel, it's travel of the time/space continuum.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

its definetly not the ships from halo

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
      Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Spoiler:
        Jane, a sentient computer program created in the phioltic connections between "ansibles" (FTL communications devices), has the ability to determine exactly what, down to the subatomic level, an object is made of. Since she has almost-infinite computing power, she can determine the exact composition of anything, and everything inside it. Once this is knows, all that is needed is to hold this perfect description in one's mind and will it to another point in the universe.

But again, only Jane, since she has all this computing power, could ever hope to make it work.
        That's seriously in the books? That's retarded. It's one thing to have magic-tech that defies physics but to explain it like that is just dumb. Ender's Game was a good book but the sequels sucked. I'm glad I didn't have the patience to read through Speaker for the Dead (stopped after two chapters). Xenocide was even worse (stopped after the first 4 pages). Judging from this, they didn't get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy View Post
          Yep. I think the TARDIS trumps all, and gets bonus points for existing outside of normal space and being so large that the doctor in all his 900+ years has never explored the entire interior.
          The TARDIS Wins hands down

Stargate Atlantis Fanatic
          Replicator wana be

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
            i can beat you on that one with Freecasting from Rise of Endymion
            Actually, that's what I meant. I couldn't remember if it's Farcasting or Freecasting. I't been awhile since I read the books.
            Last edited by tjmitchem; 25 January 2008, 04:55 AM. Reason: Missing the quote

Comment

I don't think time travel counts as FTL travel... it's a whole other class of transit, not subspace/hyperspace travel, it's travel of the time/space continuum.
              Actually, FTL travel pretty much implies time travel if you are respecting science at all. FTL, causality, relativity. Choose any two. In the Xeelee books, Baxter decided he could do without causality, so you had fleets returning from battles before they had been sent in the first place.

This site has some very interesting stuff on it.

Comment

Star Wars hyperdrive also have an eliment of time travel as they have sum shielding for it-one guys ships time shielding wasn't working and his short hop turned into a 200 year long voyage(he only saw it as what the short hop was supposed to take).

Comment

Originally posted by 1138 View Post
                  That's seriously in the books? That's retarded. It's one thing to have magic-tech that defies physics but to explain it like that is just dumb. Ender's Game was a good book but the sequels sucked. I'm glad I didn't have the patience to read through Speaker for the Dead (stopped after two chapters). Xenocide was even worse (stopped after the first 4 pages). Judging from this, they didn't get any better.
                  Considering you couldn't be bothered to even finish the books (both of which recieved more praise and awards than "Ender's Game"), I don't think you can really make a qualified judgement on it... but to each his own, I suppose. Personally, I and most everyone I know who's read them found it interesting and very creative.

Originally posted by tjmitchem View Post
                  Actually, FTL travel pretty much implies time travel if you are respecting science at all. FTL, causality, relativity. Choose any two. In the Xeelee books, Baxter decided he could do without causality, so you had fleets returning from battles before they had been sent in the first place.

This site has some very interesting stuff on it.
                  Okay, technically you're right. But I meant that time "hopping" (going backward and forward in time, you get it) isn't really FTL so much as a different thing entirely.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

1) Hyperdrive from Stargate
                    2) Quantum Slipstream
                    3) BSG's FTL
                    Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

What about the (Gravity Drive) on the Event Horizon....It was a ftl drive that folded space.....but it did have a darkside!
                      Viper

Comment

Darth Sidious would love it on that ship!!!!!

Comment

Considering you couldn't be bothered to even finish the books (both of which recieved more praise and awards than "Ender's Game"), I don't think you can really make a qualified judgement on it... but to each his own, I suppose. Personally, I and most everyone I know who's read them found it interesting and very creative.
                          Any magic tech that's explained in detail is unnecessary nonsense. Furthermore, it doesn't even follow from the premise of Ender's Game, neither thematically nor technologically. In other words, the sequels to Ender's Game were forced, unneeded extensions of a very tight story. They're non sequiturs.

I'm condemning the books because they were boring. So boring, in fact, that I couldn't finish them, which, believe it or not, is a qualified judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                            The first bit is essential to the Heisenburg Uncertainty theory that says you can either know where an atom is or where it is going but never both-This Jane looks like it as found a way around that(As sci-fi's with transporters have)
                            Not necessarily. From this description, it sounds like she knows where an atom is, but also where it will be. Not where it's going, i.e. movement.

Which opens a whole 'nother can of worms, I know. But while I love Cards's work normally, all his Ender stuff made me feel like a dumbass of the highest order. Like he took the idea of an intelligent kid to the highest level without worrying about anything else.
                            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

asgard

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                              Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

The Ship from Hitch Hickers Guild to the Galaxy could hop around space rather fast!

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
                                its definetly not the ships from halo
                                It depends how you view them, The Covie mainly (Phrophets) ships used a Slip-Stream version of travel which seemed rather fast, especally when using the Forerunner "ark" version of the slip-stream which took them far out side the Milkyway !
                                Last edited by MechaThor; 27 January 2008, 10:44 AM.
                                sigpic
                                Banner Made By Me for Me
                                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X