Fastest ftl in any scifi universe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seastallion View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing or not. I haven't been as up on science and physics as I once was. If I AM thinking of the right thing, then I believe it is where every particle has a 'twin' (sort of) that acts (or reacts) in exactly the same way as its counterpart no matter how far away it is. It could be on the far end of the universe from the other and it would act exactly the same at exactly the same moment. If it could be harnessed, interstellar communications could be instantaneous no matter the distance. That includes potential transport of matter, if it is only a matter of the transfer of information such as a biological pattern or whatever.
    This seems like a pretty good explanation, given that I'm not a quantum physicist .

I think the basic idea is that quantum particles can be paired so that their quantum states are linked. How this "pairing" is achieved, I don't know.

It could be that every particle naturally has a twin, which doesn't seem very useful, or maybe there's someway to "assign" one particle to another, which would be very useful.

Comment

From what I've read, Jane is currently the fastest FTL method posted; "she" can transport things instantly, with no prep time (outside of the trial run, in which her programming had to cope with not having done this before).

However, I'd be interested in hearing more about the Xeelee's method of transit, as quantum entanglement would provide an instantaneous jump, as well.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It does take a few moments for the Space-Folding engines to power up, however, not a very great deal long. In the Dune universe, Space-Folding engines are the most preferred and most common means of interstellar travel, although NOT the only means. There is a more traditional ftl drive, but the amount of time IT takes is FAR longer than the Space-Folders. As a result, said ftl drive has gone nearly into total disuse as to transporting people and goods.

There IS one other form of space travel in another sci-fi universe that I am aware of that very nearly rivals the Space-Folding drive as well as the Stargate. That is the Teleportation Platforms of 'Battlefield Earth'. They can teleport any object of any size or complexity, literally ANYWHERE, to any of the 16 known universes (and later a very young 17th) in an instant, again after it has powered up for a few moments. It does this by simply swapping one area of space with the other. Thus, whatever happened to be in the area that you were teleporting to, would be teleported back to the origination point of the teleport. That could potentially be problematic, so you have to be a bit careful as to WHERE you teleport to. Also, since it doesn't store any sort of patterns in a computer or anything, the size or complexity of the object being teleported is a moot point. It takes the same amount of energy to move empty space as it does occupied space by this means, so there is no extra fee for additional luggage on your trip. Very economical. Which is, of course, why it was used. Additionally, you only NEED one platform to be operational. You simply have to agree upon a specific location and time to be brought back, if you can't use an already operational platform where your destination is.
        Yeah i read that book. Longest book I read. I agree i think this is the fastest at a longest distance but it could take a long time to start. Maybe they just called galaxies/clusters universe because that seems really weird that so many races even ones that weren't too advance could travel between universes. That book was weird in general.
        sigpic

Comment

Starwars hyperdrives are not as ludicrously fast as some other means of transportation but they severely outclass Star Trek Warp drives...

Going from a side of the galaxy to the other takes a day or so.

Comment

Apart from the Borg and the Xindi. The Borg have transwarp drives while the Xindi Vortex drive ranges from 18,250xC for the Aquatics and 73,000xC for the Primates so a bit better than the Goa'uld

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              However, I'd be interested in hearing more about the Xeelee's method of transit, as quantum entanglement would provide an instantaneous jump, as well.
              As far as I know, the Xeelee don't use QE as a method of transit; just FTL communications.

As to how their FTL drive works, you'd need to ask someone with more knowledge of the Xeelee books. Even then, I'm not sure it's really explained in the books. From the way it is described, it looks like they make a number of instantaneous jumps, very quickly, to go from point A to point B.

Comment

The Guardian of Forever.

Plus, you get an added bonus of time travel.
                sigpic

Comment

Red Dwarf's Holly hop drive-Very fast

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing or not. I haven't been as up on science and physics as I once was. If I AM thinking of the right thing, then I believe it is where every particle has a 'twin' (sort of) that acts (or reacts) in exactly the same way as its counterpart no matter how far away it is. It could be on the far end of the universe from the other and it would act exactly the same at exactly the same moment. If it could be harnessed, interstellar communications could be instantaneous no matter the distance. That includes potential transport of matter, if it is only a matter of the transfer of information such as a biological pattern or whatever.
                    I can try to explain it a bit more. The simplest way to entangle is called, 'Spontaneous parametric down conversion.' In this a photon is shot through a non-linear crystal. The crystal decays the photon but absorbs none of its energy. Since energy has to be conserved two new photons are created each with half the energy of the original. Sometimes these two new photons are entangled. If one of the new photons polarization is vertical then the other is horizontal regardless of distance. So in theory you could take the one photon to the ends of the universe, flip it, and the photon back here on earth would instantly flip polarization.

If you're wondering why we've not already perfected this for FTL communications its because we can't measure one of the photons without affecting its (and its twins) state ala superposition/the double slit experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by tjmitchem View Post
                      Farcasting in Hyperion. Instantaneous to anywhere, as far as I know.

For more conventional drives, the Xeelee can cross the universe in a week.
                      i can beat you on that one with Freecasting from Rise of Endymion
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, there's also The Doctor. He can get anywhere before anybody... Even before said person is born.

Comment

So can Janus the Ancient with his puddlejumper from Stargate and USS Relativity from Star Trek

Comment

those monk people in star wars at the end of vision of the future the use the force to instantly move their ship from one place to another no prep time only problem is you have to know where you are going and only the monk guys can do it though it beats jane because there is more than one person that can do it
                            their ships are bad ass they grind enemy ships against their hulls

BSG FTLs are only limited by the navi computer hence cylons haveing more range

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Been out of the thread for a while but had to respond to this.. Yay for another Dune fan... And as to Norma Cenva, she certainly did become something "more powerful" For all intents and purposes, she Ascended. The Navigators referred to her as The Oracle of Time. When she chose to manifest to them, they tended to obey her wishes even if the Navigators did not exactly agree with her. And even after tens of thousands of years she still referred to the Navigators as "My Navigators".

As for the computer, Ix did create "mathematic compilers" that could pilot ships through foldspace, but they were not without error. A compiler-driven ship was lost roughly on roughly 1 out of every 500 or so jumps whereas Navigators never lost a ship unless the Navigator was critically injured, poisoned, or his spice supply was cut off.

Spoiler:

Later on, there are true computer-driven foldspace ships that almost match Navigators in reliability, but unbeknownst to the Guild and Bene Gesserits the computers on those ships are actually sentient and under the control of Omnius

Actually, Merlin is quite correct. Of all the FTL capable ships I've ever read about in sci-fi, the Space Folding Engines of Dune are by far the 'fastest'. They can travel any distance in the blink of an eye, even moving outside of the universe itself. Initially, the creator of the Fold-space technology (Norma Cenva) wanted to use computers to navigate her ships, but the anti-computer ideaology that was sweeping across humanity prevented it. Understandably. They HAD been fighting sentient machines for generations for their very existence. In any case, Norma was forced to find a biological solution (rather than technological) and by using the Spice Melange became the first Guild Navigator to use prescience in order to navigate the ships. Many generations later though, Ix (I think, with support from the Bene Geserit Sisterhood.) managed to create a non-sentient computer that was capable of guiding ships equipped with the Space-Folding Drive.

Additionally, you don't have to transform into a yarn-doll while your at it. You just end up where you wanted to be. It might be worth while to note (for those Dune fans) that Norma Cenva herself was a product of the Bene Geserit Sisterhood's earlier incarnation's breeding program. She had been considered a failure at first, even though she had a brilliant mind. Eventually (and admittedly due to an accident) she became extremely powerful (and no longer considered a failure) and was herself perhaps a sort of quasi-Quidsatz Haderach. Or maybe something more powerful still. She did have the ability to create a new body for herself after her old one had been destroyed, existing (at least temporarily) in a state of energy. Not unlike the ascended Ancients of Stargate I suppose. Along with extremely powerful telekinetic and telepathic abilities, she retained the ability to heal or alter her body at will. In any case, she being the 'super-being' she was created a 'super-fast' space drive too.

Comment

Originally posted by Frunk View Post
                                Well, there's also The Doctor. He can get anywhere before anybody... Even before said person is born.
                                Yep. I think the TARDIS trumps all, and gets bonus points for existing outside of normal space and being so large that the doctor in all his 900+ years has never explored the entire interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X