Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Treks Transwarp-Supposedly Infinite Velocity

Comment

Alright we got many ways that are capable to travel in and out of the universe instantaneously. Now we have to narrow it down to which one is the most efficient and easy and doesn't require too much power.
      sigpic

Comment

im sorry, but the above is all wrong. the actual answer is
        Spoiler:
        ludicrous speed from space balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          im sorry, but the above is all wrong. the actual answer is
          Spoiler:
          ludicrous speed from space balls.
          They've gone....

Spoiler:
          Plaid!

Comment

What about the TFL of a battlestar (range might be limited, but the jump seems to be instant)

Battlestar galactica new series obvious

Comment

The speed of the battlestar is extremely fast(As you said, seems to be instant) but Intergalactic it is not as it would take a while to cover 13,000 light years. In a 10 ly race it would be a tough one to beat

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                The Heart of Gold's Infinite Improbability drive, from HHGG. Ultra-fast, and you get random pot-plants and sea creatures to entertain you while you recover from travelling.
                Indeed - I think this should be the clear winner, since not only does it take you anywhere instantaneously, it actually takes you everywhere (in every universe) simultaneously!

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                As the Improbability Drive reaches infinite improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously
                Of course to get to one specific place in one specific universe is another matter entirely
                Last edited by Devilogic; 22 January 2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Devilogic View Post
                  Indeed - I think this should be the clear winner, since not only does it take you anywhere instantaneously, it actually takes you everywhere (in every universe) simultaneously!

Of course to get to one specific place in one specific universe is another matter entirely
                  But what matters here is the time it takes to arrive at a specific place, a single destination you have in mind.

In that case, I believe any of the truly "instant" ones are tied, since they are all, by definition, instantaneous.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

well in startrek one episode the uss enterpise reached the ends of the universe with modifications to the warp engines by that alien O_o
                    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                    Anime signature in spoiler tag
                    Spoiler:
                    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

One think no one seems to be counting with these 'instant' drives are the drive's spool times. The Improbability Drive for instants take a good minute to reach infinite improbability. Since that is a needed effect to get from point A to B instantly I think it should be counted in the overall trip time. Much like Battlestar Galactica's FTL drive which needs 'spun up' to function. The Stargates have to be dialed, you have to wait for Farscape wormholes and Moya's Starburst does take time to preform. I've not read Ender's Game or Dune so I don't know how much prep time is involved in their systems but I bet there is some.

It doesn't matter if there is a FTL drive that can lap you around the Universe in a picosecond if it take 10 trillion years to charge up.

Also are we limiting this to transporting matter only because recent experiments into quantum entanglement could put all these SciFi systems to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth View Post
                        Also are we limiting this to transporting matter only because recent experiments into quantum entanglement could put all these SciFi systems to shame.
                        Interestingly enough, this is the method that the Xeelee use for FTL communications.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth View Post
                          One think no one seems to be counting with these 'instant' drives are the drive's spool times. The Improbability Drive for instants take a good minute to reach infinite improbability. Since that is a needed effect to get from point A to B instantly I think it should be counted in the overall trip time. Much like Battlestar Galactica's FTL drive which needs 'spun up' to function. The Stargates have to be dialed, you have to wait for Farscape wormholes and Moya's Starburst does take time to preform. I've not read Ender's Game or Dune so I don't know how much prep time is involved in their systems but I bet there is some.

It doesn't matter if there is a FTL drive that can lap you around the Universe in a picosecond if it take 10 trillion years to charge up.

It does take a few moments for the Space-Folding engines to power up, however, not a very great deal long. In the Dune universe, Space-Folding engines are the most preferred and most common means of interstellar travel, although NOT the only means. There is a more traditional ftl drive, but the amount of time IT takes is FAR longer than the Space-Folders. As a result, said ftl drive has gone nearly into total disuse as to transporting people and goods.

There IS one other form of space travel in another sci-fi universe that I am aware of that very nearly rivals the Space-Folding drive as well as the Stargate. That is the Teleportation Platforms of 'Battlefield Earth'. They can teleport any object of any size or complexity, literally ANYWHERE, to any of the 16 known universes (and later a very young 17th) in an instant, again after it has powered up for a few moments. It does this by simply swapping one area of space with the other. Thus, whatever happened to be in the area that you were teleporting to, would be teleported back to the origination point of the teleport. That could potentially be problematic, so you have to be a bit careful as to WHERE you teleport to. Also, since it doesn't store any sort of patterns in a computer or anything, the size or complexity of the object being teleported is a moot point. It takes the same amount of energy to move empty space as it does occupied space by this means, so there is no extra fee for additional luggage on your trip. Very economical. Which is, of course, why it was used. Additionally, you only NEED one platform to be operational. You simply have to agree upon a specific location and time to be brought back, if you can't use an already operational platform where your destination is.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

MW Block Replicator Hyperdrives seem to be the afstst, As they ahve the knowledge from hundreds of difffrent races they have consumed (not just Asgard)

We saw in "Enimes" just How much the upgrded the Goa'uld Hatak (don't the fasts ships in the galaxy) Imagine the Replicators then upgrading and Asgard Oneil class or an Aurra class hip? It would be even faster!

There4 no matter what the fastest spaceship in sci-fi is, It would Always be EVEN FASTER with MW Block Replicators onboard!
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by tjmitchem View Post
                              Interestingly enough, this is the method that the Xeelee use for FTL communications.
                              somebody explain what quantum entanglement is, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                                somebody explain what quantum entanglement is, please.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing or not. I haven't been as up on science and physics as I once was. If I AM thinking of the right thing, then I believe it is where every particle has a 'twin' (sort of) that acts (or reacts) in exactly the same way as its counterpart no matter how far away it is. It could be on the far end of the universe from the other and it would act exactly the same at exactly the same moment. If it could be harnessed, interstellar communications could be instantaneous no matter the distance. That includes potential transport of matter, if it is only a matter of the transfer of information such as a biological pattern or whatever.
                                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X