Fastest ftl in any scifi universe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
    Its not so much conventional that I was saying but more artificially created as this Ender's Game Jane thing is rather than John Chritons Wormhole predictions as they are natural phenomenon. Jane would be the fastest with the Asgard not far behind relatively speaking
    actualy a phase stabiliser device exists in farscape that lets normal peole navigate wormholes.

Comment

Navigate but not create them-thats probably in a grey area compared to the rest. Moya's starburst would be more of an FTL drive than an FTL natural phenomenon as she was created by that Acnient race that was shown after Talyn was around

Comment

Navigate but not create them-thats probably in a grey area compared to the rest. Moya's starburst would be more of an FTL drive than an FTL natural phenomenon as she was created by that Acnient race that was shown after Talyn was around
        i belive the phase stabiliser uses naturaly occuring wormholes.

Comment

Does it control them-where they will form and where to??????

Comment

Does it control them-where they will form and where to??????
            IMO it uses this theory that microscopic wormholes appear and dissapear virtualy everywhere realy fast, and yes it can navigate these to a destination.

Comment

well then that would be an FTL drive although I would still stick with the Hyperspace engine for now

Comment

Isn't this a thread on the fastest FTL DRIVES rather than fastest ways to get around the universe. Wormhole are not an FTL until there is a device that creates one. From what I've seen the Asgard hyperdrives are the best, covering millions of light years in minutes-thats travelling so fast that you could not see Star Trek as it would be a blended in with the rest of space.
                Actually I meant FTL in general. When i said Wormhole I didn't only mean Stargate. There alot of books,television/movies,and video games where ships could create wormholes. I didn't say anything about FTL drives.
                sigpic

Comment

I was actually aiming that towards Farscapes wormholes stuff than at anything else as I thought that the show used naturally occuring ones but seeming as I have been informed that there was a decive capable of controlling them it renders to comment I made invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    ok, off the top of mt head.

ender's game Jane.

night's dawn ZTT

farscape Wormholes

Infinite Improbability Drive
                    the ZTT is fast, but you can only go a certian distance at a time (around 20 ly in 0.005 seconds), and you need to use trad engines to minimise Delta-V every time you jump. although Tranquility's Swallow manoeuvre can apparently go thousands of ly
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technol...logy#ZTT_drive

also the ultra drive from Peter F Hamiltons the Dreaming Void is fast, it's never told how fast exactly, but slower drives have been used to circumnavigate the galaxy in a matter of weeks, although on second thoughts SG hyperdrives are probably faster than that.

farscape wormholes or IID are the best

also natural wormholes in the Dread's emipire universe can go a long way, and to different times too!
                    Last edited by AvatarIII; 22 January 2008, 03:12 AM.
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

The Heart of Gold's Infinite Improbability drive, from HHGG. Ultra-fast, and you get random pot-plants and sea creatures to entertain you while you recover from travelling.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy View Post
                        Guild Foldspace from Dune. Instantaneous transport between any two places as long as the Navigator's prescient abilities can predict a safe course.

Actually, Merlin is quite correct. Of all the FTL capable ships I've ever read about in sci-fi, the Space Folding Engines of Dune are by far the 'fastest'. They can travel any distance in the blink of an eye, even moving outside of the universe itself. Initially, the creator of the Fold-space technology (Norma Cenva) wanted to use computers to navigate her ships, but the anti-computer ideaology that was sweeping across humanity prevented it. Understandably. They HAD been fighting sentient machines for generations for their very existence. In any case, Norma was forced to find a biological solution (rather than technological) and by using the Spice Melange became the first Guild Navigator to use prescience in order to navigate the ships. Many generations later though, Ix (I think, with support from the Bene Geserit Sisterhood.) managed to create a non-sentient computer that was capable of guiding ships equipped with the Space-Folding Drive.

Additionally, you don't have to transform into a yarn-doll while your at it. You just end up where you wanted to be. It might be worth while to note (for those Dune fans) that Norma Cenva herself was a product of the Bene Geserit Sisterhood's earlier incarnation's breeding program. She had been considered a failure at first, even though she had a brilliant mind. Eventually (and admittedly due to an accident) she became extremely powerful (and no longer considered a failure) and was herself perhaps a sort of quasi-Quidsatz Haderach. Or maybe something more powerful still. She did have the ability to create a new body for herself after her old one had been destroyed, existing (at least temporarily) in a state of energy. Not unlike the ascended Ancients of Stargate I suppose. Along with extremely powerful telekinetic and telepathic abilities, she retained the ability to heal or alter her body at will. In any case, she being the 'super-being' she was created a 'super-fast' space drive too.
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion View Post
                          Actually, Merlin is quite correct. Of all the FTL capable ships I've ever read about in sci-fi, the Space Folding Engines of Dune are by far the 'fastest'. They can travel any distance in the blink of an eye, even moving outside of the universe itself. Initially, the creator of the Fold-space technology (Norma Cenva) wanted to use computers to navigate her ships, but the anti-computer ideaology that was sweeping across humanity prevented it. Understandably. They HAD been fighting sentient machines for generations for their very existence. In any case, Norma was forced to find a biological solution (rather than technological) and by using the Spice Melange became the first Guild Navigator to use prescience in order to navigate the ships. Many generations later though, Ix (I think, with support from the Bene Geserit Sisterhood.) managed to create a non-sentient computer that was capable of guiding ships equipped with the Space-Folding Drive.

Additionally, you don't have to transform into a yarn-doll while your at it. You just end up where you wanted to be. It might be worth while to note (for those Dune fans) that Norma Cenva herself was a product of the Bene Geserit Sisterhood's earlier incarnation's breeding program. She had been considered a failure at first, even though she had a brilliant mind. Eventually (and admittedly due to an accident) she became extremely powerful (and no longer considered a failure) and was herself perhaps a sort of quasi-Quidsatz Haderach. Or maybe something more powerful still. She did have the ability to create a new body for herself after her old one had been destroyed, existing (at least temporarily) in a state of energy. Not unlike the ascended Ancients of Stargate I suppose. Along with extremely powerful telekinetic and telepathic abilities, she retained the ability to heal or alter her body at will. In any case, she being the 'super-being' she was created a 'super-fast' space drive too.
                          So right now the two front-runners are Ender's Game (technically Xenocide... but they're in the same series) and Dune. Can anyone beat 'em?
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Farcasting in Hyperion. Instantaneous to anywhere, as far as I know.

For more conventional drives, the Xeelee can cross the universe in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by tjmitchem View Post
                              Farcasting in Hyperion. Instantaneous to anywhere, as far as I know.

For more conventional drives, the Xeelee can cross the universe in a week.
                              what and the who?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                                what and the who?
                                Which "what" and which "who"?

Comment

Working...
                                X