Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many galaxies has the SGC sent teams to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The foothold aliens dialled a Milky Way address when they bugged out-so unless that was to redial to another address then I don't see them coming from another galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
      The foothold aliens dialled a Milky Way address when they bugged out-so unless that was to redial to another address then I don't see them coming from another galaxy
      They might have nkown that the SGC couldn't provide enough power so they went to another planet to try and get home.
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
        I don't think it was until "Fifth Race" the fact that Sg-1 had only been exploring the Milky Way galaxy had been sort of "retconned".
        In the movie, a technician claims Abydos is on the far side of the known universe!
        The movie is separate from the show in many ways, that is just one of them. And I don't think that they originally wanted the teams to explore other galaxies than went back on it.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
          Depends on your definition of "sent".

@Archaeis - right on there. The Milky Way is a galaxy in the Local Group, as is Pegasus, Andromeda, etc. The Milky Way and Andromeda (and possibly Triangulum) are the main gravitational centers, which have their own satellite galaxies. The Pegasus Galaxies are a satellites of the Andromeda Galaxy, while the Magellanic Clouds are satellites of the Milky Way, if memory serves.

With regards to your pick for the Ida Galaxy, how did you come up with that? Galaxies are named by us based on the Constellation they are within. I would have thought that either the first or last (seventh) symbol in Ida's gate address would correspond with the constellation that the Galaxy lies in. I'll have to check "Rising" again, and see where the Pegasus glyph falls in the gate address. Maybe there'll be a corresponding constellation for the Ida Galaxy that'll help us narrow down where it is?

@ All - sorry: I'm an annoying combination of a nerd and an Astrophysics student.
          Well, obviously Ida is the Asgard's name for their own home galaxy. The Sagittarius Elliptical Dwarf is my pick because it is near enough to the Milky Way for the Asgard to still have a significant influence here with their superior hyperdrives, and for the replicators to have gotten there given enough time through space. But still far enough removed for there to be a substancial distance for any goauld hyperspace jump.

I also is almost directly below our galactic core, giving the Asgard a great central position to span out to the Milky way in any direction.

Here's a pretty good picture of it's position:
          http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/galaxy.html
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe these pictures will help:

The Local Group:
            http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/aruiter/AS...localgroup.jpg
            http://www.astro.uu.se/~ns/images/local_group2.jpg
            http://www.astro.uu.se/~ns/images/local_group1.gif
            http://www.astronomy.com/asy/objects...iagram_800.jpg
            http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~pogosya...l_group_sk.jpg
            http://www.sternwarte.uni-erlangen.de/~ai32/lg.jpg

Pegasus galaxy:
            http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jmi/images/ngc7479.jpg
            They showed similar galaxy, when they made the Midway animations.

If I know well, the Asgard called their home Ida galaxy in Fifth Race, but the writers called it later Othala galaxy. Maybe they visited both galaxy. I think Orilla and Halla was there and Othala is the "official".
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post

If I know well, the Asgard called their home Ida galaxy in Fifth Race, but the writers called it later Othala galaxy. Maybe they visited both galaxy. I think Orilla and Halla was there and Othala is the "official".
              They could have moved galaxies to get away from the replicators.
              Best quotes ever:
              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
              Thor:I like the yellow ones
              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Or they made a mistake and meant to mention Ida....

I do remember myself asking JM about this and he stated that the Asgard only inhabited one galaxy... whether that means they have visited or explored other galaxies is something else. He never came back with an answer though unfortunately as he stopped posting here.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I know in "The Fifth Race" they Asgard called their galaxy Ida which makes sense since Idavoll [really, Iðavöllr], in Scandinavian mythology is the plain on which Asgard is built. See the Wikipedia reference here. I find it slightly ironic that the "d" in Idavoll is either a thorn or an eth ("ð") which would not be a "d" sound.
                  At Ithavoll met the mighty gods;
                  Shrines and temples they timbered high;
                  Forges they set, and they smithied ore,
                  Tongs they wrought, and tools they fashioned.

from "a stanza early into the poem Völuspá" (see Wikipedia article).
                  Sorry, if I'm a little off topic.

I don't know if they stopped using Ida later in the series in favor of Othalla or if the Asgard really were in more galaxies than Ida. BTW, the omnipedia says Othalla is also a planet. I know some of you mentioned that.
                  The omnipedia also says Othalla is in Ida. hmm.... Now, I'm really curious.
                  Micah

Carter: It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth!

Comment

Working...
                  X