Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding dreaded character limit again.

Originally posted by BloomGate
    This is where it gets sticky. Are we talking about what people here argue or what has been shown on the show?
    I'm talking about what people in these forums argue. As yet, posters in this topic haven't come to agreement as to what the word 'genocide' should mean when applied to the Wraith.

My point is that all of that is speculation. We don't KNOW what's going to happen. I personally think (as long as we're delving into speculation) that the writers have some secret that they have yet to reveal about the Wraith that will make our current attitudes obsolete and much more 'humane' in everyone's eyes. That's called a plot twist. You know, where you are led to believe things are one way, and they surprise you by bringing up something unexpected. IMO that's good writing. However, while in mid-story, you can't see the forest for the trees.
    As a Wraith fan I'm hoping for some kind of plot twist on these lines. Not exterminating the Wraith isn't likely to please every viewer, though, if the following post in this topic is anything to go by.

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri
    Besides, even if it is possible for the Wraith to be changed so as to eat regular food or if it's possible to feed them with artifical life force, it still begs the question of whether the Wraith deserve to survive. After all, they terrorized and butchered Humans by the millions throughout 10 000 years. Sure, they had no choice, but Humans are not to blame for the Wraith's dietary needs either. And also, it has been shown that Wraith enjoy sadistically hunting down and torturing Humans they can't cull. So why should the Wraith survive? The Human species has every right to exterminate the Wraith in retaliation for all the teror, pain, heartache and loss of Human lives they caused for so long. So yes, I am in favor of genocide in the case of the Wraith.
    TPTB are unlikely to come up with an answer which will please 100% of the viewers and it would be unrealistic to expect them to. Posts presenting similar views to the above could lead to lively discussions on whether or not the Wraith should still be executed in revenge or because they're really criminals or whatever.

Going back to your first paragraph.

I WOULD agree that SGA was genocidal toward the replicators, but who cares? They're machines.
    Another poster in this topic is a bit bothered by it.

Originally posted by TheAccended
    Its always bothered me about Stargate how the writers seem to belittle artificial life forms as nothing but mindless machines and that its ok to wipe them all out. The Asurans for example were a trully alive in the sense that they could think outside of their own programing, had the same emotions as humans and had the ability for self sacrifice, in the case of Fran. You could even say their programming to kill the Wraith was a base instinct built into them the same way human beings have a built in instinct for violence among other things.
    The writers could have come up with a different solution if it had suited them although it wouldn't have been as 'exciting' or 'spectacular' as what did happen. Maybe this route was essential for later stories. I'll be disappointed, though, if it wasn't and was only adopted to provide 'excitement' and 'spectacle'.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      Avoiding dreaded character limit again.

I'm talking about what people in these forums argue. As yet, posters in this topic haven't come to agreement as to what the word 'genocide' should mean when applied to the Wraith.
      LOL! Posters in this topic haven't come to agreement about what the word 'genocide' should mean when applied to anything.

As a Wraith fan I'm hoping for some kind of plot twist on these lines. Not exterminating the Wraith isn't likely to please every viewer, though, if the following post in this topic is anything to go by.

TPTB are unlikely to come up with an answer which will please 100% of the viewers and it would be unrealistic to expect them to. Posts presenting similar views to the above could lead to lively discussions on whether or not the Wraith should still be executed in revenge or because they're really criminals or whatever.
      I'll quote Abraham Lincoln "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

BTW - Did SG1 get 'genocidal' on the Goa'uld? I don't believe they did. They finally beat them in battle and took away their powerbase, but the lack of rooting them all out tells me that the effort just wasn't there.

As for the Replicators, I think anyone that gets upset about them getting wiped out is probably a Star Trek TNG Data fan carrying that empathy forward. I can't see the replicators being self-conscious enough to even get so far as 'I think therefore I am' because they are too busy following their base programming to stop and think about it. But that's an argument for another time and another thread.
      The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Lets have a vote on whether a replicator rights act should be created??????

Really the Taur'i versus the Old replicators = This is not war, this is pest control

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
          LOL! Posters in this topic haven't come to agreement about what the word 'genocide' should mean when applied to anything.
          That's very true.

I'll quote Abraham Lincoln "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
          He hadn't come across science fiction fans, though. If he had he probably wouldn't have included the bit about pleasing all of the people some of the time.

BTW - Did SG1 get 'genocidal' on the Goa'uld? I don't believe they did. They finally beat them in battle and took away their powerbase, but the lack of rooting them all out tells me that the effort just wasn't there.
          We know there were still Goa'uld around during the time of 'Critical Mass' (SGA Season 2.) It's unlikely that they were all working for The Trust if the following from 'Avalon Part 1' is anything to go by.

VALA:The Jaffa may have won their freedom, but there's still more than a few Goa'uld out there. Most of them have lost their dynasties, though, and they're either on the run or in hiding.

DANIEL: Yeah, no doubt plotting some means of regaining their power.

VALA: Yes, and in the meantime, they are having a lot of trouble maintaining the lifestyle to which they've grown so accustomed over the last 5,000 years or so. As such, there are a number of rather interesting artifacts currently on the market.

Goa'uld have tortured, killed and enslaved humans for generations. They also take humans as hosts and this is another form of torture which lasts for an extended lifetime from a human point of view.

CALDWELL: ... The host to a Goa'uld parasite is aware of what's happening to them. I won't soon forget what I was forced to do.

If Wraith are seen as deserving extermination because of "all the teror, pain, heartache and loss of Human lives they caused for so long" as NoobTau'ri puts it, what about the Goa'uld? Or is taking a human host less cruel than eating a human? If I had to choose between the two I'd rather be eaten by a Wraith. Even though it's an unpleasant death I'd find it preferable to being forced to commit atrocities for hundreds of years. (Or however long a host can be kept alive.)

As for the Replicators, I think anyone that gets upset about them getting wiped out is probably a Star Trek TNG Data fan carrying that empathy forward.
          Data and the Holographic Doctor were a refreshing change from the usual Frankenstein type plot involving A.I.s whether they're androids, robots or super-computers. Lore was an android villain but he was also the 'evil brother' so at least he combined two clichés.

I can't see the replicators being self-conscious enough to even get so far as 'I think therefore I am' because they are too busy following their base programming to stop and think about it. But that's an argument for another time and another thread.
          The Replicators and Asurans are included in the opening post of this topic so they're meant to be considered as well when looking at possible genocide. According to 'Progeny' the Asurans appear to be self aware because they knew what drove them.

NIAM: The aggression programmed into our core remained, fuelling a rage we could not contain. We implored them to have this violent nature removed from our programming, but the Ancients wanted a weapon, and since their scientists included a directive prohibiting us from ever harming them, they continued the experiment. When the Ancients concluded that the experiment had gone too far -- that we would never become the weapon they desired to create -- they decided to end it.

Some Asurans had ambitions.

WEIR: You want to ascend.

NIAM: Yes. Many among us, like Oberoth, have no desire to experience this. They are content with our present state. (He looks round at his colleagues.) But there are a few of us who recognise that as a civilisation, we are stagnant.

ASURAN FEMALE 1: We seek to continue our own evolution.

ASURAN FEMALE 2: To truly emulate the Ancients and their ultimate achievement.

And -

NIAM: They are our creators, and ascension is the final step to equalling them, to becoming one with them.

The Asurans aren't the only ones who wanted to follow the Ancients by ascending. The humans in 'Epiphany' had the same ambitions.

Then we get a bit of metaphysics.

SHEPPARD: No offence, but ... how are a bunch of machines gonna do that?

ASURAN FEMALE 1: Are you so different?

SHEPPARD: Well, we’re living, breathing people.

ASURAN FEMALE 2: Constructed from cells, consuming and burning energy, governed by electrical impulses ...

The conversation could have gone on to draw a comparison between Asuran base code and Nature's programming in the form of human instincts but it didn't.

We then learn that Niam's group want to rewrite their base code to remove the aggression but the Ancients put measures in place to stop the Asurans from doing this.

We've already had Replicators who were dirty rotten things who got exterminated.

Spoiler:
          The writers could have taken a route where Todd and Rodney figured out how to remove the aggression so the Asurans stopped their activities. They went for the spectacular space battle, special effects and big explosion instead. This is OK up to a point but I'll be very disappointed if the surviving Asurans turn out to be dirty rotten things who end up exterminated too. I'd like to see them helped to remove the aggression and, if it's impossible for them to ascend (because TPTB say so), go on to develop their potential as sentient beings in other ways. Why? Because it would be a different ending to the one we got in SG1.
          Last edited by ciannwn; 21 January 2008, 04:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
            He hadn't come across science fiction fans, though. If he had he probably wouldn't have included the bit about pleasing all of the people some of the time.
            Indeed!

We know there were still Goa'uld around during the time of 'Critical Mass' (SGA Season 2.) It's unlikely that they were all working for The Trust if the following from 'Avalon Part 1' is anything to go by.

If Wraith are seen as deserving extermination because of "all the teror, pain, heartache and loss of Human lives they caused for so long" as NoobTau'ri puts it, what about the Goa'uld? Or is taking a human host less cruel than eating a human? If I had to choose between the two I'd rather be eaten by a Wraith. Even though it's an unpleasant death I'd find it preferable to being forced to commit atrocities for hundreds of years. (Or however long a host can be kept alive.)
            Exactly. That completely supports my belief that the writers will find a way not to kill them off after the Ultimate victory is achieved. It's precedent.

The Replicators and Asurans are included in the opening post of this topic so they're meant to be considered as well when looking at possible genocide. According to 'Progeny' the Asurans appear to be self aware because they knew what drove them.
            Very true. I'd forgotten about what is 4 pages back. Ok, and so we have 2 factions. The ones we are at war with, and the ones that we aren't because they want to change. If you look at the attack on the Replicator home world as simply a military attack then the "no genocide' things gets easier. Perhaps we knew that the dissenters were off world before we attacked. (Yeah I know FA2, it's speculation)

Spoiler:
            Was it Repliweir or the Clonedweir we saw recently?

This 'genocide' thing could be wriggled out of yet by the writers.
            The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              They don't explore any of the alternatives or show any of the other sides the Wraith (having already shown to be very humanlike) must have. They only show the space monster side of the Wraith and they refuse to explore any solution for dealing with them other than nukes and gas in massive quantities, regardless of how potentially useful or likely those other solutions might be.

Basically it feels rigged. Rigged to force the only outcome to be genocide.
              Yes, I think that summary explains it all.
              All that they have explored thus far is more ways to kill the Wraith:
              • Internal war. Although they didn't trigger it on purpose, having Wraith kill Wraith is a good plan.

• Poisoning the well (making human food sour and deadly to Wraith), which for some reason, was found by our super smart Beckett with a Ph.D in xenogenetics, within about a month at best, just out of his magic hat, but it would also kill its share of humans. Oh buggers.

• Retrovirus, which eliminates the memories of a Wraith, and turns them into humans, temporarily, making them dependant of the serum even more than the Free Jaffa are because of tretonin. At least the Jaffa keep their memories, and don't kill humans when they don't have their dose. They just die. Which I suppose is what the terrans would go by if they could, since there's no cool balded Wraith ally to speak of.
                They even had fun making it airbone, to use it in vents, and they engineered and spectated Wraith cannibalism upon a newly created human who had no idea what happened, woke up and got killed coldly, in front of all the staff.
                That alone would be worth a dark Caravaggio painting, with some cryptic message written below, to demonstrate the monstruosity and concessions the human conquista-- explorers were ready to reach in order to be the best. Godspeed. (and what the f-uck is God speed? Faster than light??)

• Better weapons to beam into and fire at Wraith ships, bases and nurseries.

• Stupidly activate the Asura-- sorry, Replicators... to kill all the Wraith. The most stupid writing I ever saw. It's just a pity that a super genius, a mega diplomatic leader with super nanites and a Mensa buffoon couldn't add 1 and 1 and see that the first thing the Asurans would do, as robots who made no secret about their hatred for humanity, is kill humans to kill the Wraith. We had written this centuries ago before they'd ever come with that plot in the next season. It was so phony... predictable. Jesus.

• Finding allies to kill Wraith. (Dumb genetic branch of) Lantians, Genii (neutered and then erased by plot), Travellers (will disappear after Sheppard bangs the hot chick in leather).

Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 01 February 2008, 01:21 PM.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                • Internal war. Although they didn't trigger it on purpose, having Wraith kill Wraith is a good plan.

• Poisoning the well, which for some reason, was found by our super smart Beckett with a Ph.D in xenogenetics, within about a month at best, just out of his magic hat, but it would also kill its share of humans. Oh buggers.

• Retrovirus, which eliminates the memories of a Wraith, and turns them into humans, temporarily, making them dependant of the serum even more than the Free Jaffa are because of tretonin. At least the Jaffa keep their memories, and don't kill humans when they don't have their dose. They just die. Which I suppose is what the terrans would go by if they could, since there's no cool balded Wraith ally to speak of.
                  They even had fun making it airbone, to use it in vents, and they engineered and spectated Wraith cannibalism upon a newly created human who had no idea what happened, woke up and got killed coldly, in front of all the staff.
                  That alone would be worth a dark Caravaggio painting, with some cryptic message written below, to demonstrate the monstruosity and concessions the human conquista-- explorers were ready to reach in order to be the best. Godspeed. (and what the f-uck is God speed? Faster than light??)

• Stupidly activate the Asura-- sorry, Replicators... to kill all the Wraith. The most stupid writing I ever saw. It's just a pity that a super genius, a mega diplomatic leader with super nanites and a Mensa buffoon couldn't add 1 and 1 and see that the first thing the Asurans would do, as robots who made no secret about their hatred for humanity, is kill humans to kill the Wraith. We had written this centuries pages before they'd ever come with that plot in the next season. It was so phony... predictable. Jesus.

• Finding allies to kill Wraith. (Dumb genetic branch of) Lantians, Genii (neutered and then erased by plot), Travellers (will disappear after Sheppard bangs the hot chick in leather).

Does attempting to make humans immune to Wraith feeding count as attempted genocide against the Wraith?

Comment

It's also wrong. Sure, they developed different tactics for attacking their enemy in the war that they are currently engaged in, but none of them constitute genocide. You guys are confusing "violent attck during a war" with genocide.

• Obviously not genocide.

• Poisoning the well, which for some reason, was found by our super smart Beckett with a Ph.D in xenogenetics, within about a month at best, just out of his magic hat, but it would also kill its share of humans. Oh buggers.
                  Again, not genocide.

Ok, again not genocide.

• Ok, again not genocide. Btw - when did they fire at any nurseries? Cloning facilities aren't nurseries.

• Stupidly activate the Asura-- sorry, Replicators... to kill all the Wraith. The most stupid writing I ever saw. It's just a pity that a super genius, a mega diplomatic leader with super nanites and a Mensa buffoon couldn't add 1 and 1 and see that the first thing the Asurans would do, as robots who made no secret about their hatred for humanity, is kill humans to kill the Wraith. We had written this centuries pages before they'd ever come with that plot in the next season. It was so phony... predictable. Jesus.
              • I get it that you personally dislike this particular plot twist. Not everybody does, and again it's not genocide.

• Ok, again not genocide. Was it genocide when the U.S. nuked Japan? No. Why? Because they used a powerful weapon to force their enemy's surrender and weren't trying to kill every last one of them. The same can be said of our actions in SGA. They aren't trying to kill every last one of them strategically and therefore NONE of these actions rise to the level of genocide.

What you guys are doing here is like in the U.S. when Pro-lifers call the use of contraceptives abortion. The words obviously are being misused in an attempt to inflame emotions on the subject.

Comment

It's also wrong. Sure, they developed different tactics for attacking their enemy in the war that they are currently engaged in, but none of them constitute genocide. You guys are confusing "violent attck during a war" with genocide.
                  Oh I don't think we are, what do you think their endgame is? They've positioned themselves as the self-appointed protectors of all human life in the universe and the Wraith need to take human lives in order to continue to live themselves. They're not exploring any of the other possible alternatives to ending the Wraith conflict so what do you think their solution to the problem is?

If you're commited to protecting every human life and you're not exploring alternative diets for the Wraith the only way to complete your goal is to empty the pegasus galaxy completely of Wraith.

Their plan is to quite simply keep "defending ourselves" until no more Wraith are left.

Again though to stay on point this is the fault of the writing. They constantly ignore potential solutions to the conflict other than asgard beams nukes and poison gas. Stargate used to be a show about going to strange places and learning to understand the strange inhabitants. Now it's more a show about going to strange places, cracking one liners at the expense of the strange inhabitants, and getting *****y with anyone who doesn't align with your modern American values.

Comment

Obviously not genocide.

Again, not genocide.

Ok, again not genocide.

Ok, again not genocide. Btw - when did they fire at any nurseries? Cloning facilities aren't nurseries.

I get it that you personally dislike this particular plot twist. Not everybody does, and again it's not genocide.

Ok, again not genocide. Was it genocide when the U.S. nuked Japan? No. Why? Because they used a powerful weapon to force their enemy's surrender and weren't trying to kill every last one of them. The same can be said of our actions in SGA. They aren't trying to kill every last one of them strategically and therefore NONE of these actions rise to the level of genocide.

What you guys are doing here is like in the U.S. when Pro-lifers call the use of contraceptives abortion. The words obviously are being misused in an attempt to inflame emotions on the subject.
                    *sigh*
                    They are exclusively all methods which solely result in the death of the Wraith.
                    I'm not there to prove that it's genocide, that's not my point. Just that zero effort has been done to save them from their curse, and if anything, the way the writers dealt with Ellia shows how unconfortable they are with an universe where, for once, in all logic, USA in space would not save the day because there are simply matters that reach beyond our scope, and yet we're still getting involved in trans galactic affairs which even more advanced races broke their teeth on, and us ... well, they and their frakin Errth planet which is in a poor state really, they think they can give lessons and dictate how galactic empires must behave, and doing so only by exploring paths which all result in the death of the others.

Sure, the Wraith are not carebears either, but it would actually give the show some brains, and eventually balls, to have humans team up with, say, Todd for example, and try to find solutions.

And of course, disclose the stargate on Earth. But that's another issue.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      Oh I don't think we are, what do you think their endgame is? They've positioned themselves as the self-appointed protectors of all human life in the universe and the Wraith need to take human lives in order to continue to live themselves. They're not exploring any of the other possible alternatives to ending the Wraith conflict so what do you think their solution to the problem is?

If you're commited to protecting every human life and you're not exploring alternative diets for the Wraith the only way to complete your goal is to empty the pegasus galaxy completely of Wraith.

Their plan is to quite simply keep "defending ourselves" until no more Wraith are left.

Again though to stay on point this is the fault of the writing. They constantly ignore potential solutions to the conflict other than asgard beams nukes and poison gas. Stargate used to be a show about going to strange places and learning to understand the strange inhabitants. Now it's more a show about going to strange places, cracking one liners at the expense of the strange inhabitants, and getting *****y with anyone who doesn't align with your modern American values.
                      I bolded the only important part. I don't know what the writers have in mind, but I'm certain that they won't end up killing off the entire race. One could have made the same arguments about SG1 vs. the Goa'uld and they didn't kill them all off there.

You DO realize that it's just a story right, I mean you know it's not real right? Do you read 1/2 a book and then complain about the direction you THINK the writer is taking the story?

I get that you would do things differently if YOU were writing the story. That's cool. But taking liberties with the English language simply in an attempt to exaggerate your point that you don't like the writing takes away from your credibility - at least from my perspective.

Comment

*sigh*
                        They are exclusively all methods which solely result in the death of the Wraith.
                        I'm not there to prove that it's genocide, that's not my point. Just that zero effort has been done to save them from their curse, and if anything, the way the writers dealt with Ellia shows how unconfortable they are with an universe where, for once, in all logic, USA in space would not save the day because there are simply matters that reach beyond our scope, and yet we're still getting involved in trans galactic affairs which even more advanced races broke their teeth on, and us ... well, they and their frakin Errth planet which is in a poor state really, they think they can give lessons and dictate how galactic empires must behave, and doing so only by exploring paths which all result in the death of the others.

Sure, the Wraith are not carebears either, but it would actually give the show some brains, and eventually balls, to have humans team up with, say, Todd for example, and try to find solutions.

And of course, disclose the stargate on Earth. But that's another issue.
                        I'm glad you've given up the 'genocide' crusade. It just drives me nuts when someone misuses a word in an attempt to inflame a discussion. It's insulting that someone would think I'm too stupid to know what the word really means and what they are doing by using that way.

As for the direction you want to go with finding a non-violent solution to the Wraith war or at least an alternative food source for them, I understand completely and agree - if this were real life. I think it would make for a pretty boring show though. You'd spend screen time away from - well - you know - anything with some action in it.

So, in essence, I agree - if this were real. I prefer to take the optimisitc approach that they really are working on it in the background, but for good-story-telling purposes, we just don't get bored with it on screen.

Comment

Was it genocide when the U.S. nuked Japan? No. Why? Because they used a powerful weapon to force their enemy's surrender and weren't trying to kill every last one of them. The same can be said of our actions in SGA. They aren't trying to kill every last one of them strategically and therefore NONE of these actions rise to the level of genocide.

I'm going to put my reply in 'spoilers' because some of it will refer to Season 4 and there is no spoiler warning in the topic title.

Spoiler:
                          The difference between Wraith and the Japanese is that the latter don't have to eat humans in order to live. I don't think anyone would be thinking 'genocide solution' if the big bad guys in the Pegasus galaxy had been the Genii. It would have been a normal war with the Tau'ri's objective being to force the Genii to surrender. I don't think there would be too many worries about a 'genocide solution' if the Wraith didn't have to eat humans either.

If the Wraith lose the war because they're down to their last hive ship, it wouldn't be genocide. The surviving Wraith would still have to eat humans in order to live, though. How are TPTB going to handle that? 'Miller's Crossing' was a very dark episode because of how Todd ended up getting a much needed meal. If Wraith war survivors are allowed to go their own way in peace it would be a 'Miller's Crossing' theme on a grand scale.

Maybe TPTB will go for a dark ending to the Wraith conflict because we've already had an example of a Wraith, other than Todd in 'Common Ground', being allowed to go his way in peace. This was in 'Travellers' and the Wraith concerned is the one who fed on Larrin. Here are a few quotes from the Gateworld transcript.

SHEPPARD: First, you're gonna hand me the stunner – slowly.

SHEPPARD: Next, you're gonna give back what you took. Then you're gonna leave.

WRAITH: If I restore her, there's nothing to stop you from going back on your word and killing me anyway.

SHEPPARD: That's true. I'd say there's a fifty:fifty chance I'll do it out of pure spite. But ... (he jams the blaster harder into its neck) ... if you don't, I will kill you.

Sheppard kept his word and allowed the Wraith to leave after he'd restored Larrin. We know that the Wraith wasn't doomed to die a lonely death in space because he and the other Wraith had arrived in Darts and -

SHEPPARD: Well then, you're gonna leave the same way you came. There's a space Gate orbiting the second planet in the system. It may take you a while, but you'll get there.

Sheppard knew that the Wraith would be feeding on humans in the future but he didn't kill him in order to prevent this.

Anyway, on to other accusations of 'genocide'. A search for the definition of 'genocide' turned up the following page -

Genocide Definitions

Here is one definition.

The deliberate and systematic destruction of an entire people who belong to one racial, political, cultural or religious group.

Beckett's retrovirus was designed to turn Wraith into humans. If he'd achieved his ambitions to do this there would have been no Wraith left as a race - they would have been humans. The retrovirus made the humanised Wraith lose their memories too and Beckett was hoping to refine his 'treatment' so that one dose would last a lifetime. If it had worked and he'd achieved his ambition it would have eradicated every aspect of Wraith culture as well. Individual beings would have been alive but it would still have been genocide in the sense that an entire race and its culture no longer existed.

Now to the Hoffian drug. The objective was to make the Hoffians immune to Wraith feeding. Had it worked without killing half the population in the process it would have been a 'must have' throughout the Pegasus galaxy. It would have made no difference whether the Wraith couldn't feed or were poisoned while trying - the end result would have been the same for the Wraith because inedible humans would have resulted in them all dying from starvation.

TPTB have a number of choices as far as we know - after all, they might have something in mind that nobody in these forums has thought of.

1: Dark ending. Wraith lose the war but the survivors are allowed to go in peace even though they'll continue to eat humans for survival.

2: Easy solution. All the Wraith end up dead due to one reason or another.

3: Genetic engineering with the Wraith's consent. Being able to live on normal food as adults would alter them as a species in a major way but it's something which might have occurred through evolution anyway. There would be major changes to some aspects of their culture too but it's likely that Wraith culture has already changed over time. As they evolved there must have been a period in their history before they had advanced technology so their current lifestyle would be very different to that of their ancestors.

4: Genetic engineering without the Wraith's consent such as with a one dose retrovirus. It's not genocide because the end result is the same as 3 but the Wraith aren't very happy about it. It would be unethical in the sense that the Wraith didn't consent but the drastic 'war solution' would result in saving human lives without exterminating the Wraith.

5: Some Wraith opt for genetic engineering while others don't. The modified Wraith go off to do their own thing elsewhere in the Pegasus galaxy. The other Wraith, who are now choosing to eat humans because they've rejected an alternative, end up dead.

6: Some Wraith opt for genetic engineering via a retrovirus then join the Atlantis expedition in forcing this alteration on the other Wraith. It could be a lot more interesting than option 4 because a few members of this Wraith faction would have to be characters who appear in more than one story.
                          Last edited by ciannwn; 23 January 2008, 04:47 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm in the opinion that wiping out the Wraith is perfectly fine. We're in a permanent war with them and they can only exist by wiping out other sentient creatures. The Go'uld have the possibility of reform. Humans would have to strong-arm their culture but the Go'uld have nonviolent methods of obtaining hosts. Empty cloned vessels, such as the cloned Asgard, or animal hosts, such as the spider in the season 5 episode, could be used for the Go'uld. I could imagine that the remaining Tok'ra be working towards a host solution that wouldn't entail a natural war between species.

But not with the Wraith. And it would be too much of a retcon if the Wraith did find a nonviolent solution to their food source. The Wraith lost several harvesting planets and hive ships. They cannot approach Atlantis with our current firepower. It's entirely possible earth could secure the Pegasus galaxy and destroy all ships of the Wraith. The Wraith are left facing a ground battle they cannot win because their food can reach them and rebel against them. The Unas learned how to resist the primitive Go'uld.

Even through a nonviolent means, such as relocating the humans in Pegasus to the MW, leads to a Wraith extinction. The permanent war between Wraith and humans is strongly implied in the show. It's not a war between current Wraith society and humans. Wraith society cannot be reformed to be peaceful. Go'uld society always has that possibility. Go'uld society can be reformed. The Tok'ra are an example of that. Wraith society simply can't be.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
                              I'm in the opinion that wiping out the Wraith is perfectly fine. We're in a permanent war with them
                              That's the scenario at the moment. As it's a fictional one it doesn't automatically mean that it has to stay that way if TPTB want to change it.

and they can only exist by wiping out other sentient creatures.
                              How are you defining 'wiping out' here? Wraith, at the moment, have to feed on humans in order to live. It isn't in their own best interests to 'wipe out' humans as a species.

The Go'uld have the possibility of reform. Humans would have to strong-arm their culture but the Go'uld have nonviolent methods of obtaining hosts. Empty cloned vessels, such as the cloned Asgard, or animal hosts, such as the spider in the season 5 episode, could be used for the Go'uld.
                              If TPTB want to they could say that Wraith can live on empty cloned vessels and use that as a solution to their food problem. They've been very vague when it comes to details about the Wraith feeding process. All we know so far is that lunch has human DNA because Wraith can feed on humans, Ancients and each other. We have no idea if a Wraith could feed on an Unas or a wriggly, snakelike Go'uld even though these two species qualify as sentient. We have no idea how sentient a masked soldier is in comparison to a human either.

I could imagine that the remaining Tok'ra be working towards a host solution that wouldn't entail a natural war between species.
                              We can imagine whatever we like because speculation is fun. We have no idea what the Tok'ra are supposed to be up to, though, because TPTB haven't told us.

Wraith society cannot be reformed to be peaceful.
                              How peaceful are Stargate humans as a species? Sheppard got his combat experience in Afghanistan so we know that Earth in the Stargate universe is supposed to be 'our Earth'. The opening post isn't asking if Wraith could become pacifists like the Nox, though. It's about whether or not the Tau'ri are opting for 'genocide' solutions. As the Tau'ri can only do or say whatever the scriptwriters tell them to it really comes down to the kind of impressions viewers are getting from watching the stories.

The Tau'ri are supposed to be the Fifth Great Race. Some of us would like to see greatness meaning more than just having advanced warships and bigger guns. What about greatness in the sense that our own species is evolving beyond seeing violence as the only solution for everything? We know that Wraith and humans can co-operate for mutual benefit. Why can't some Wraith and some humans co-operate and try to come up with a solution to the Wraith's over specialised diet problem? This would benefit both Wraith and humans. TPTB could go this route if they wanted to because science fiction isn't just about special effects and big explosions.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Working...
                                X